Sign in to follow this  
Lummy

Major market makeover

Just been reading our"fantastic" community magazine St.Helens First in particular an article regarding the above.Quote"Markets in St Helens are set broaden their appeal with a series of major improvements aimed at boosting visitor numbers"unquote. My reading of the article is that within St Mary's market will have a craft fair on Saturdays and on Sundays the car boot sale on Chalon Way will be extended to the unused outside area of the market.Wow! that will bring visitors rushing to the town.Makes a change though from charity shops and pound shops.What will they think of next?

• Like (+1) 1

She,s dying,, our old town, slowly throttled by the anti motorist brigade, What she needs is some powerful medicine, First, cut out the cancer of draconian fines for small infringements of parking rules. Second , give motorists massive area,s of free parking. Third , advertise at all entrances to our sainted town,,MOTORISTS WELCOME,,, FREE PARKING!

Stood looking at what was Burtons for years and all the other closed shops near it so sad rents and rates to high to make it worthwide to trade in st helens its getting like will the

last to leave please switch the light off

Went shopping to Widnes with missus the other day.Not been for a while.Nothing changed free parking for 3 hours,shoppers every where and I didn't see many closed down shops either.Why do our illustrious leaders brag about free parking after 3 o'clock when in my experience a day out shopping usually starts around midmorning.People are usually making their way home round about the time our free parking starts.

Totally agree with everything said. The whole of St Mary's and Church Square needs flattening and made into an area were people actually want to go. People like browsing in streets full of small independent shops - yes there's a place for national retailers as well, but its the small retailers that will bring back people into the town centre, but the experience has to be right and currently it isn't! Church Square and St Marys are low claustrophobic alleys and are years out of date, built in age of bad building design when anything old was condemned to demolition. Widnes has it right - all the big shops and the small shops in the same area, and with free parking all day for up to 3 hours - more than enough time for anyone! I know a lot of people feel the same but I fear we're talking to ourselves as the council aren't interested, in fact I'd go so far to say as I think they don't see whats wrong with it the way it is, which shows how small minded they really are, and explains why St Helens always gets left behind.

Edited by Incaman
  • Like (+1) 2

Somebody should take them on a coach trip to bury or Dewsbury, parking at Dewsbury about 5 or 6 hundred yards from market and town centre , last time I visited it cost 60p for up to 3hrs,Bury as parking close to market and town centre.

these are just two examples I know of plenty more, these sort of towns are booming it must say something if anyone wants a good day out and see how what we once had try a visit.

I was told the other day that Warrington market is to be demolished and then rebuilt.

I was told the other day that Warrington market is to be demolished and then rebuilt.

True! At least they recognise when something is past its sell by date!

Here is what the Government thinks:- beak.gif

Business rates

Changes to the business rates were announced as part of the Autumn Statement and came into effect on 1 April 2014.

The support for businesses includes:

• a £1,000 discount in 2014 to 2015 and 2015 to 2016 for retail premises with a rateable value of up to £50,000 - including shops, pubs, cafes, and restaurants (300,000 retail businesses are eligible)
  • capping the Retail Price Index (RPI) increase in bills to 2% in 2014 to 2015 - businesses were expecting a 3.2% rise
  • extending the doubling of the Small Business Rates Relief to April 2015
  • a reoccupation relief for 18 months with a 50% discount for new occupants of retail premises empty for a year or more
  • allowing businesses to pay their bills over 12 months (rather than 10), which will help every firm with their cashflow
Parking

Independent experts have warned that aggressive parking policies are harming local high streets and local shops. We have consulted on reining-in over-zealous parking enforcement practices, and announced a range of measures to be introduced by Spring next year, including:

• restricting the use of CCTV ‘spy cars’ to enforce parking (through the Deregulation Bill currently going through Parliament)
  • 10 minute ‘grace periods’ when parking on-street allowing additional parking time before a late penalty is imposed
  • allowing local people and businesses to demand a review of parking in their area
  • reforming operational parking guidance so it is less heavy handed with motorists
Local leadership

The government is committed to helping local authorities and businesses and those who work on the ground as they are best placed to know what could make their high street thrive. We’ve announced new support to help communities to re-energise their High Streets by community led-renewal and business improvement districts. .

Supporting local markets

In 2012, we teamed up with the National Association of British Market Authorities to set up the "Love your local market campaign" The aim is to help new market traders starting up businesses, and celebrate and promote our local markets.

Planning

Planning restrictions have been lifted to help landlords make better use of their empty properties, either by allowing them to lease for shorter periods, helping start-up businesses to set up in the high street, or by making it easier to turn commercial properties into residential facilities to increase resident population and local footfall.

Changes to permitted development rights will offer town centres the flexibility they need to adapt existing buildings. The government will consult on permitting change of use from retail to restaurants, cinemas, gyms, skating rinks and swimming pools.

Interesting relationship between this thread and the free parking isnt the answer.It seems our high flying councillors still feel this will answer all our problems.ST.elleners demand free parking so perhaps as I mention in the other thread-yorkshire people not as tight as stelleners?60p for 3 hrs seems a mere pittance-Assuming the shopping quality is up to scratch?Hope Ted can enlighten us re his ideas on paying for parking?

It's not just the paying, it's also the distance between your car and the shop. People won't walk more than 100 mtrs.

I always park on the Warrington road shopping precinct and walk into town or Argyle street and walk in that way. Its a bit of a faff but serves two purposes, exercise and no parking fee. I have to admit its getting harder walking up North road to Argyle street but that's something I have always done because my grandparents used to live there and I just carried on long after they had passed away. Free parking, less eating and drinking establishments and a much bigger choice in types of shop. The bargain buys and pound shops are all very well but they all sell the same stuff, BORING!.