Sign in to follow this  
COYS

Pocketnook in the 50s and 60s.

Any one remember the name of that bookies on the corner of Marsh St and Recreation St, used to be in a derelict garage in the 50's

I remember Bebe,s we got all our groceries from her. I lived in Barbers street which ran along the back of Pocketnook st ,I could be one of those kids in the photo ! Happy Days !!

In the very late fifties and early sixties our little gang used to walk all the way from Ravenhead to Pocket Nook every night and meet up with Moira Bracken and her mates, we had some good adventures together.

HI Vanwall my sister was friend of Moira Bracken and I knew her father Moxy

My sisters name was Dorothy Edwards

Hi Hughie,I knew Dorothy when she worked for Emily Brown as an hairdresser in the early 60's.

Hughie,

Is Moira still around?

My mum was born in Pitt st in 1932. Connie Laughton big family 13 of them! in a 2 up 2 down terraced house . The Laughton's lived there for years until my Uncle Keith had to sell it in the 80;s/90's . My mum married Joe Barrett of Varley rd, but his mother and father originally lived on Back Bolton st (don't know the number) i believe until they moved to Varley Rd

Hi mummy2, I remember your mum , I used to work in pimmies at fingerpost.My mum also came from a big family , don,t know how they all fit into those 2 up 2 downs!

Hi mummyof2

I remember your Mum,Dad and most of your family. I married a girl from a bit further up in Pitt St. in 1958. Haven't met any of you though since Johnny's funeral a few years ago.

Nice to hear from someone from the past.

I used to go into Maud's shop quite often for bits and bobs.

HI

Jonmuse your wife must know the walker family who lived at 40 Pitt st they are my cousens

HI

Vanwall i have been in South Africa for about 46 years have lost contact with most friends

Hi Thank you for the replies..

jonmuse .. yes uncle Johnny passed away quiet a while ago now. sadly we lost my Uncle Keith a few years ago who stayed living in Pitt St for a long time until he moved to the flats near higher parr st. My Auntie Shirley and Auntie Marie and Uncle Ernie are still going strong.:) .. Spent many times in Maud's shop buying toffee as a young girl he he ! Also to COYS thank you for remembering my mum yes she walked the length of fingerpost most days chatting to everyone and loved her vanilla slices or custards from pimmies.:) lol.

• Like (+1) 1

I know Moira very well and I worked with her brother Bob I think (Moxer) John Bracken was her older brother.

does anyone remember Taggarts.Geoff went to school with me.He later was with the ZEPHYRS.Also wrote item for The Shadows.Hes still alive and kicking around Windleshaw area.

I remember Geoff very well he used to live in Graham St, he and his mam and dad went living up Haydock,never seen him for years brilliant guitarist

I know Moira very well and I worked with her brother Bob I think (Moxer) John Bracken was her older brother.

were these any relation to Arthur Bracken who lived a bit higher up than the Furnismans pub

on the opposite side,,,,,,,

Hughie,

Is Moira still around?

Shes still around and had her 70th at the Primrose last year with Bob who was 80.