Sign in to follow this  
katharinejaneberry

Thomas Kenneth Clitheroe baptism record 1921

Can anyone advise where I might find baptism records for St helens for 1921?

Unfortunately I don't know which church but it seems that my father (now 93) and having lived in Wigan all his life was actually born in St Helens. As you can guess he is getting some teasing about this :))

I can't locate any baptism for him in Wigan and as his birth was registered in Prescot (02/07/1921) His parents were Thomas and Ethel Clitheroe. I am thinking he must have been baptised soon after his birth before they moved to Wigan.

Would be grateful for any suggestions !

Thank you.

I have since found the address on my father's birth certificate - 68 Lingholme Road St helens. Hopefully this will allow someone to point me in the direction of likely churches.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but we would need to know what religion your Father is as to advice you what churches, are near Lingholme Rd.

Margie

Mother's maiden name would help too as often the baptism would be at the same place as the marriage.

Marriage of parents - Thomas Clitheroe and Ethel May Hodgkinson 12 March 1917 at St Michael and All Angels, Swinley, Wigan

Parents married as identified above by John, Thomas Clitheroe and Ethel May Hodgkinson married 12/03/1917 St Michaels Wigan. Which is why I am puzzled they came back to St Helens for my Dad's birth. His father's address is even given on Dad's birth certificate as Charles Street Wigan!

Margie, I don't mind you asking at all, they were CofE.

Have emailed the Parish Church today and they have advised that records for that era are now at the Record Office in Preston.

Thank you all very much for your contributions - much appreciated.

I have spoken to Dad this morning and he is adamant that he must have been baptised in St Helens!

If I have the right family though Thomas was born in St Helens his family must have moved to Wigan soon after as the other three younger siblings were all born there. Were his parents Thomas Clitheroe and Emily Yates married at Christ Church Eccleston 1st Dec 1888?

If so they might have taken all the children and grandchildren back there to be baptised