Tunnel in Stanley Bank Wood

HORT

I recently went into Stanley Bank Wood for the first time ever and came accross a tunnel.

DSCF1067.JPG

Here is a closer view.

DSCF1070.JPG

Does anyone know the history of this tunnel?

Does anyone know where it leads?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have often wondered about this and;

• To a knowledgeable person the style of of its construction will probably indicate its age.
  • As an air raid shelter is appears a tad modern and is also slightly remote so who would use it?
  • If you look around you will also find an entrance/exit at the far end.
  • It was originally fenced and approached from the East Lancashire Road via a gated entrance as a few bits of the ironwork remain.
  • Its location is interesting as it is near to a major road junction and not too far from RAF Haydock.

My early thoughts are RAF or Civil Defence during the cold war for monitoring or observation?

John Alex'

Just looking at the photo of it, it appears like a storm drain as someone said earlier, or even a length of culvert for a stream that's been dumped there. Certainly not an air-raid shelter

Robbo,

its at the top end of Stanley Bank Wood. Close to the East Lancs/Pewfall Junction.

I can post more detailed directions if you wish to go.

I am going up there again now for more pics.

I want to nip on the way home from work one evening / I pass by that way

thought I knew that area well oops.gif but apparently not

when you enter the woods from the E Lancs lay by There is a brick building on your right and a gully in front of you all I need is the directions from there ! rather than me walking round for ages ? anyone help ?

Mally, at the layby walk towards the woods - turn immediate left behind the small brick building - head back generally towards Haydock with the East lancs over on your left - over the stream - and it should appear in sight shortly after :-)

Which side of the Lancs? Is going towards Windle Island or Haydock Island direction? I am looking on Google Earth, but see no indication although I was hoping to see the brick building mentioned..

Mally, at the layby walk towards the woods - turn immediate left behind the small brick building - head back generally towards Haydock with the East lancs over on your left - over the stream - and it should appear in sight shortly after :-)

Cool I am going tomorrow to look for it victory.gif

Archived