Sign in to follow this  
gervassutti

Central School Fire, Portico Lane

P1110868.JPG

Wasn't aware of any other cameras around when I photographed the fire so this could be the only image of the last moments of the Central School.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember that fire well. It was bonfire night. I was on duty at the Fire Station at Eccelston and we had been sent to cover Whiston station as they were out on calls. As we were just getting back to Eccelston we got the call on the radio to this school fire. We had passed the school less than ten minutes earlier with no sign of fire. When we arrived the back middle of the school was well alight. I think we had six fire engines and a Hose Layer to get water from the bottom of Holt Lane. Good job the school was closed. all timber building that's why it burned so well. I was also at the Fire's at Prescot Comp

Will have to work it out. I know it was the year the school closed and moved to Rainhill High.

Me thinks you should ask Mr Leschip his whereabouts on that fateful bonfire night, our school went up in flames, I think there were several culprits who could of started that, but I have to say they were all from Scotchbarn lane side of Delph Lane.ohyeah.gif

• Like (+1) 1

The plan to burn our old Alma Mater was known to Knowsley Schools about 3 days beforehand. The School Meals Service stored a lot of equipment there. Not one piece was lost as the D.S.O. had her staff remove everything on the 4th !! Not one Grundy tin was even singed ;)

Mr. S. I had no part in the burning, I suspect Tyson and Savage could be in the frame. :)

• Like (+1) 1

I dont think two good upstanding lads, David and Steven out of my class would stoop to such levels Mr B. we were all very well balanced young individuals I will have you know, ..NOTohyeah.gif

Yeah, they were well balanced.. a chip on both shoulders x2.

I went to Edmund Arrowsmith in Scotchbarn Lane,we had many a feud on the football field with Central,amazingly enough we never won.

Where there still clandestine meetings going on under the stage Ratty? I suppose the Air raid shelters had well gone by that time.

Don't know about clandestine meetings, more in your face by then :D

Yes, air raid shelters were there and so were the outside toilets although mainly used for secret fag breaks and other such vicessmoke.gif

• Like (+1) 1

Central School was the name before the 1950’s, it was named the early 50’s as Whiston Secondary Modern until St.Helens lease it from Lancashire, when it change to Rainhill High, the school did not fully move to Rainhill until 1985, when the Portico Lane site closed, the school was set on fire soon after and before it could be demolished

• Like (+1) 1

I was living in Liverpool then so didn't get to see the fire worst luck