lizthemeerkat

Geraldo and Chessies (Exchange Vaults) ... any ideas?

I used to frequent both places quite a lot in the late seventies and early eighties.

Had some great nights there.

wasnt it chessy who later went to the Nelson in Bridge st

OR maybe his son.

I'll never forget going in Chessy's and this lad would stand in front of a big mirror.. (as you went in and turned left) There was a big mirror in the best side... he stood there and would run his fingers through his hair and smooth out anything he found to be not favored by a girl. He would basically kiss his own image.. I swear I tell no lies, he was one fkng pansy pussy. I favored myself less vain but just as good looking with my black hair in a pony tail..

So Who was it? If its anyone on Connect you are obviously beneath me. LoL.. That guy was a source of amusement for us ruffians.

Edited by Pete (see edit history)
  • Like (+1) 1

Have just come across this site - so pleased to find it! I grew up in St Helens, lived on Cooper Street then Moss Bank and the Geraldo was my favourite Friday night place to go :-) Very happy memories.

Not sure if there is anyone out there who remembers me, my name was then Viv Reid. I moved to the South of England (now in Henley on Thames) in 1975. Would be great to get in touch with old friends

Edited by VivienR (see edit history)

Welcome Viv.

I always call at the Angel when I visit Henley.

I remember the first time I went to chessies with my mates.I.was only 17 so we were nervous when getting a pint.because there was a group of us we got some evil looks,so I decided to put status quo on the jukebox so the locals who looked like a gang of bikers would not give us the evil eye.oops I put the wrong number in, out blasts heaven must be missing an angel.we leave our pints and head for the door

• Like (+1) 1

I remember Geraldo. Great nights in there. Used to pass membership cards out through vents in toilet so your mate could get in.

The name " Chessies " originated from " Jack Chesworth " - the landlord of the Exchange Vaults ( Chessies ) in the 50s and 60's I think he located to the Royal in Westfield street ,then John Sines eventually became landlord , it is still there but converted to flats now .

What a juke box ! Lindisfarne " meet me on the corner "

• Like (+1) 2

Phyll, that picture must have been taken on mod night at the Geraldo, you wouldn't see any scooters outside chessies, if you did, it wouldn't have been there very long.

Just found this online, Gerard Hall, later The Geraldo. 

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Sorry Dave, can't get it to show, you might have to fix it. :bigwink:

Edited by Phyll (see edit history)

That's how it looked when I went to my first dance there, we jived to records probably '59/'60