Sign in to follow this  
New Kid

Early Chinese Restaurants

In the late 50s,we fifth formers would escape from horrible school dinners and catch a trolley bus from West Park for a sit-down, three course lunch at one of the new Chinese restaurants in town.

Can anyone remember their names or where they were?

You could choose between a 2/9d meal and a full one, with pudding, for 3/6d - which is 17.5p today.

What fantastic value and very good too! We abandoned the Bear's Paw for these.

Weren't they hard-working pioneers of a new culinary age?

And they put up with a lot of cheek from us too!

New Kid

Can't remember any names but the earliest ones I remember was on at the bottom of Church street opposite the Army and Navy stores and one down Corporation street up from the Hippodrome.

In Duke Street I think it was the Silver River(?) Late 70s and the Turks Head would empty into there ("are we off for a chinkyboo then?"). They were keen on offering credit "You pay next time if you like?" I don't think anybody ever took them up on it but it was a kind offer. smile.png The other one in Duke Street was The Golden Moon.

I remember the one in Corporation st near the shirt factory. There was some trouble there in the early 60's - I think someone got killed with a meat cleaver. I used to get the 320 from haydock to old west prk and the morning after the incident, the bus was diverted up Hall st and Bickerstaffe st instead of going straight up Corporation st.

I think there were one or two topics about that incident plonker.

We used to go for a ''business mens'' lunch at the chinkies opposite the Theatre Royal.That would have been late 60's when I was as Tech.

The other one in Duke Street was The Golden Moon.

that one - late 50's early 60's round corner from Lowe St

Edited by RUnuts

The one opposite the Theatre used to do those cheap lunches.

You could have a two or three course for a fixed price. I usually had the two course with ice cream or apple pie I couldn't manage a three course meal even when I was young.

The Duke St. chinese was were we would go after the Rifle or the Raven and I used to love their salads! Yeah salad in a chinese restaurant, odd I know but my favourite late night meal. It was quite a big thing to have eating places open after the pubs closed back in the late50s/early 60's they were very popular, often you'd queue waiting for a table

These two were probably the first to open in the town but I always get their names mixed up.

Edited by kizzy
  • Like (+1) 1

I wasn't in 'Tellins in the 1950s and in 1959 I was only 10., but I remember a few crackers in Nottingham.

We used to favour a place called the Mayfair. For a long time in the last couple of decades it must've been doing badly because bits of the sign fell off and it was just the Ma Fa :)

Still, it is now back up to full Mayfair status and every time I'm in Nottm. I promise myself I'll go back in there, but it doesn't happen.

My mate Rog.. who was a big bloke.. used to like having a bit of a pretend 'kung fu' sparring match with one of the waiters. All good fun.

One night though, we were all upstairs and Rog caught the waiter unawares on the stairs.

Next thing, Rog is in a heap at the bottom of the stairs and the waiter is all over him with a 'Aaaghh Mr Log, me very sorry, you suplise me!.

Mr Log got a free meal and there were no hard feelings. :)

• Like (+1) 1

Had my stag night in Chessies then ended up in the Chinese in Duke Street opposite the old Plaza 1964 can't remember it's name though.

+I have been in all the Chinese cafes in St Helens and the best was the silver river in DUKE ST

the rising sun in brownlow street at the end of church street on the right hand side next to the old salvation army went there in the early 60s until the 70s when the new shopping center was put up

Edited by bongoman