Sign in to follow this  
Denise

Black Horse Street

Does anyone have any photos or information about Black Horse Street off Park Road in the 50's?

I have seen a photo taken in the 60's but I lived there in the 50's upto 1960.

Thanks

I remember there was a big Alsatian dog lived in that street that everyone was scared of! its name was Smokey

and I think its owners name was Swift

I used to live in roper street just round the corner opposite Merton bank school

What's the difference from a photo of it in the 50s or 60s?

Link no longer available

Link no longer available

• Like (+1) 1

is that both sides of the street ?

edit

It must be! because the houses are different (the ones on the Pub side are smaller ) I don't remember that

I do remember the privet hedges at the end of Roper street those pictures must be from the 60s

Edited by mally

Mally

I don't remember a dog but maybe that was how I developed a long lasting fear of dogs until I got one of my own.

Le200

The difference is that the photo may include people who were there in the 50's but not in the 60's . I thought I might know the little boy in the first photo above but the 60's would be after we moved.

is that both sides of the street ?

No idea Mally - I've never lived there :)

I get it now Denise.

just realized where the kid is coming out of the entry I had my first snog against that wall ohyeah.gif?

I was about nine and she was six inches taller than me and her name was Helen

I used to live in roper street
I enjoyed walking down roper street when i was a kid going to visit my grandad in blackbrook,all the houses and gardens were well kept,i knew a few people who lived their,harris,coys.In the mid to late eighties i was looking into buying that house that was part of the school,so glad i didn't,that street is now a dump.

I like the Ford Anglia!

Wasn't there a dog track close to there?

When we were kids we got caught by a copper playing in that house when it was empty , Barry Halpin lived there when he was a teacher at merton bank! Not been down that street for about thirty years but I might do one day just to have a look

I like the Ford Anglia!
Wasn't there a dog track close to there?

That was in Park road nearer the Primrose Pub

There was a track down the side of The Primrose between the pub and the house before it and my nan lived in that end house. I also lived there until we moved to Black Horse Street. I think the dog track was behind her house where the nursing home is now. The area is hardly recognisable now to what I remember but at least the Black Horse pub is still standing though I hear it is now a Chinese restaurant. I remember being sent to the outdoor there when my Dad wasn't well to buy a tiny bottle of brandy. I must have only been about eight - I can't see that being allowed today!

Yeah. My Grandma lived on Park Rd close to the Princess Royal and I would be sent with a stone pop bottle to get it filled with stout!

But don't you think that taught you about life in general,todays children are protected too much so that they think it's a safe and wonderful world out there.

But don't you think that taught you about life in general,todays children are protected too much so that they think it's a safe and wonderful world out there.

it never was unfortunately, but in those days we had the skills to keep ourselves ( more or less ) out of trouble

we were all good runners and knew when to

The dog track was lower down nearer the primrosethe black horse is now called the golden horses chinese restaurant.Absolutely excellent !they deliver restaurant food t takeaway pricesif you can't be bothered with a sit down

I think the track mentioned was behind the Star pub way back when - it may have even been called the Star track.

Edited to add map.

This one?

Link no longer available

Edited by Le200
  • Like (+1) 1

Interesting that there was a "stone street " near the Star Inn as I can vaguely remember a kind of standing stone there when we were kids ! more like a kind of huge bolder , Funny how your mind works some things are vivid in your memory yet others are more like a dream you had once noway.gif?

Yes - the school of hard knocks!

My Grandma would stand at her front door to watch me get to the pub and back - she was worried for the safety of the stout.

I think the track mentioned was behind the Star pub way back when - it may have even been called the Star track.

A little further east, behind the Primrose as folks have previously posted. I've pinned it in the attached pic. Can clearly see it if you zoom in.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw012391?x=351979&y=395856&extent=1000&ref=17

Used to play around black horse St, Merton bank school in the mid 70s my uncle was landlord of the black horse pub, the dog track was just down the road. The perimeter of the track backed on the edge of the school playing field you could watch the dog trials on a Sunday morning and race nights on a Tuesday and Friday for free

In my family tree, I've got gt-gt-grandparents from Back Black Horse Street - surname of Brady.

On my Maternal Line - Mary Ann Brady (of Back Black Horse Street) married John Hardman (of Waine Street) - my great-grandparents - they eventually moved to O'Keefe Road.

That Anglia would have been one of the last of that range which puts the photo in in the 60s bracket, Although Anglias were made from 39 on they ceased in 67. That model is the 105E. However! they (the 105E) started production in 59.

So you have to make a constructive guess, is the car a 59? I would say a no to that, its unlikely the car would be brand new.

Edited by Pete

So did I Thatchersdry..Was Alan Jones your uncle?

Edited by Rosey
  • Like (+1) 1

Just done this for yooz all in Photoshop.

BlackHorseStreetoldnew_zps8737784d.jpg

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 2