Sign in to follow this  
Dicky D

The Arctic Star Medal. WW2.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before but my deceased father-in-law joined the Royal Artillery in 1940. He then volunteered for a new mob which became known as the 'Maritimers', ie, a gunner on a merchant ship. He spent a lot of his service on the the Arctic convoys arming and supplying Russia to form the second front. The maritimers were a ghost regiment that as my father-in-law always used to say, "never even had a cap badge".

They went all through the war and up to last year without any recognition. Thanks to intensive lobbying of the government by family and supporters the government finally caved in last year I think, and agreed to recognise the efforts of these brave men with the award of 'The Arctic Star' Medal.

I applied on behalf of my wife and our children about eight months ago and finally got a reply today. The MOD appologised for the delay and explained that they had been dealing with Veterans and their widows applications and had now started on next of kin applicants, of which I belong.

It seems therefore that our application thus far has been successful. I make this post with the hope that other applicants may be out there and have not heard of this award. Any descendants of servicemen involved in the Arctic convoys can apply and here is the address. It might be to late for us to receive the medal before this years armistice service at the St. Helens Victoria square but his daughter, my wife will surely be wearing it with pride next year.

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency

Ministry of Defence Medal Office (MODMO)

The Arctic Star Team

Imjin Barracks

Innsworth

Gloucester

GL3 1HW

Fantastic Dicky, congratulations - a medal well deserved in my opinion.

$T2eC16hHJGsFFMlsmVBGBRg3S2zbhw~~60_12.J

Not really RATTY. My father in law started on the Atlantic Convoys. He also got to the river Plate and South Africa as well before going on the northern convoys.

Such bravery, can't imagine how they did it. There won't be their likes again.

This is exactly why this medal (and others) are overdue..it was down to cost cutting originally - unfortunately. ranting.gif

Well it came this morning in a nice little presentation box and certificate. Joan shed a tear or two in memory of her dad. Just missed his birthday which was on Sunday 22 February. He would have been 101. He died in 2002 aged 89. I had hoped that we would have got it in time for Joan to wear it at the Armistice service but maybe this year.

I wonder how he would have reacted to its arrival? He was a stoical old bugger and probably would have played the 'don't give a toss' act but deep down he would have been pleased. We don't have any more of his medals as Joan when a little girl buried them in the back garden as hidden treasure. Trouble was that they remained hidden as she couldn't remember where she buried them.

956814. Isaac (Ike) Livingston. R.A. 1913 - 2002

Well Done DD, so glad it finally arrived. birgits_salute01.gif

DD, I also applied for the Arctic Star for my Dad who was on the Arctic convoys as a stoker on HMS Chiltern. I got a letter in August, saying they were dealing with veterans and wives first and apologising for the delay, but I haven't heard anything else since then. Could you tell me did your medal come by registered post, as I am a bit worried about the vagaries of the Spanish postal service?

Eileenec. It has been just over a year from application to arrival. I was told that they were dealing with living ex servicemen first and this involved a lot of overseas veterans including Anzacs. It did seem forever after sending off the formal application. We had hoped to get it on his 100th birthday. Then I thought we might get it for Armistice in Nov then hoped it would be Christmas while all the family were together then finally it was his birthday on the 22 Feb.

The package came by signed for registered post but it was actually posted through the letter box as it was on the hall floor where we found it.Maybe we didn't hear the Postie knock so he popped it through the letter box.

Hope you get yours soon.

PS: Have you actually had confirmation that your Dad qualifies? I'm sure he does as he was in the Royal Navy.

DD, Thanks for the information. Yes, I think my Dad qualifies. He was on the Arctic convoys/in Russia for about 18 months. The MOD wrote to me in August last year asking for a copy of his death certificate and for me to complete a Next of Kin form. I feel a bit more reassured now that you've said it's a sign-for delivery. Our postal system in Spain is not the best and we don't get home deliveries, just have to keep going in to the post office and asking if there's any mail for us. If there is, and it's not claimed after a fortnight, it gets sent back to where it came from, but its very hit and miss. I'll just have to keep fingers crossed and wait and see. Glad you got yours all sorted.