Sign in to follow this  
gervassutti

Lyon's Bakery.

(This is a copy of an original photograph uncirculated before this post.)

The photograph shows Elias Lyon & Sons' Bakery & Grocery premises at 128 Warrington Rd. just opposite the Board School and one-time Whiteman's Fish & Chip shop..they can just be glimpsed across Warrington road at the edges of the picture. The camera shutter was depressed ca. 1910.

One of Lyons' shops, on the corner of Chester/Kemble St., sold Meat & Potato pies which were so succulent that they have now entered Prescot folklore. An Epicurean Legend whose gastronomic perfection will never be equalled.

P1100755.JPG

Edited by gervassutti (see edit history)
  • Like (+1) 1

Great picture G, Full of historical character. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic picture, but should that be 126 Warrington Road? 128 was a private house occupied by the Jeffries family (in 1911, that is)

Snap 2013-09-04 at 07.59.59.png

Edited by stephen nulty (see edit history)

perfection will never be equalled.

CHALLNGE

Fildes and Berry's potato and meat were equally as good :)

I agree about Fildes and Berry's pies - but I'm biased - the Berry was my Aunty Nellie (Ellen)

• Like (+1) 1

Now for a 'sub' question:- was there any connexion between Fildes & Berry_ Beesley & Fildes_ Beesley's chandlers ? And who remembers Roland Beesley's window ornament.. his cat :) It was as big as Roland !!!

• Like (+1) 1

No connection as far as I know for Fildes and Berry - I never knew his first name he was always Mr Fildes

He was manager and Auntie Nellie was the head baker at the Co-op Bakery in Brook Street (runs between Warrington Road and Shaw Lane) when it was closed in the 1950's they decided to go into business together - not sure what they were always arguing :-)

No connection as far as I know for Fildes and Berry - I never knew his first name he was always Mr Fildes

He was manager and Auntie Nellie was the head baker at the Co-op Bakery in Brook Street (runs between Warrington Road and Shaw Lane) when it was closed in the 1950's they decided to go into business together - not sure what they were always arguing :-)

Just had a thought I think his name was spelt Fyles

Thanks Geoff, now about Roland :)

For anyone who's interested, there's an old photo of Showerings and Roland Beesley's on Prescot Online Facebook.

Fantastic picture, but should that be 126 Warrington Road? 128 was a private house occupied by the Jeffries family (in 1911, that is)

Geoff, I did say the photograph was taken circa 1910.. a lot can happen in 12 months. Kelly's Directory for 1905 has Elias Lyon, grocer and baker, at 105, Kemble St; for 1909 Kelly's Directory has Elias Lyon at no.128, Warrington Rd., and for 1911 has him at no.126, Warrington Rd..it all depends on the year the photograph was taken..pre/post 1910. I favour pre-, ie no.128, but it could be post- ie no.126. Hey, at the end of the day it's an old, rare, and until now, unseen photograph of Prescot.

Changing course, there was a tall impressive monumental grave stone where Elias was buried near the top of the old Parish churchyard on the right as you descend..it appears to have disappeared. Always good to hear from you.

Now for a 'sub' question:- was there any connexion between Fildes & Berry_ Beesley & Fildes_ Beesley's chandlers ? And who remembers Roland Beesley's window ornament.. his cat smile.png It was as big as Roland !

P1100760_zps6ff20c11.jpgP1100760_zps6ff20c11.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Where's Roland's cat?

Great post did Roland still have it at this time ?

I remember going to Beesley's in the 1960's and buying green sticks and string for use in making bows and arrows!

:-)

The Lyon Family, during the early part of the 20th century, were enjoying considerable business success, not only with their grocery and bakery businesses, but they also had a number of premises producing Mineral Waters, including premises at Eccleston Hill, Whiston, and in Warrington road and Sewell street, Prescot. The photograph shows some of the varieties of mineral waters our Prescot ancestors were enjoying a century ago, and it is said that the Highfield Place, Mill Street, and Gaskell's Passage sector of society were partcularly partial to a bottle of the Barmy variety. (shown in the centre of the photograph)

P1100762.JPG

• Like (+1) 2

Slighty at a tangent. I'd be most impressed with non-museum pictures of Prescot Watches or Clocks. NOT the one on Mumbai Train Station.

There is or was a Prescot clock in the Judges House in Lancaster - can't remember the details

P1100766.JPGP1100771.JPGP1100772.JPGP1100774.JPG

Pics just taken in poor lighting. The Eccleston ( almost certainly Lane Ends) watch is Hallmarked 1770. Joshua Hewitt from Prescot, died 1802, invented a pinion cutting engine.

• Like (+1) 1

Fine examples, but were the photos taken in the now defunct Prescot Museum?

Joshua Hewitt from Prescot, died 1802, invented a pinion cutting engine.

Seeing the name Hewitt reminded me that T P Hewitt was "the man" as far as the Lancashire Watch Company was concerned in the 1890's and early 1900's. He parted company with them in "mysterious" circumstances in 1906 after many years. If anybody has any idea why this happened, I would really like to know. He died in 1933 in South Mimms. I have all the family history, census details, BMD, etc., but can't find why he left the company in 1906

Fine examples, but were the photos taken in the now defunct Prescot Museum?

No..they're in private hands, definitely non-museum, and will never see the inside of a museum; and last night was the first time they have been photographed.

They look very well kept are they in full working order? The 'upright' pocket watch is identical to one my Grandparents owned. Any more Prescot time pieces in the collection ?

Looks like T. P. Hewitt may have got out when they had money problems in 1906.

http://www.horologist.co.uk/lancashire.htm

This too on this site, with some great old photos starting at Page 18.

"However, foreign competition was too great and by that time, very well established.

This combined with poor marketing, especially overseas led to the company being forced to close its doors in 1910."

http://www.harrison-associates.co.uk/prescot/pdf/02_cp_watchmaking.pdf

Edited by Phyll (see edit history)

What caused the demise of the Prescot watch-making industry was the failure to adapt to the 'Incablock' movement. Head in sand syndrome struck again.