Around St.Helens

13 hours ago, HORT said:

St Mark's Parish Hall

Must be a relatively new building. I can't recall it at all.

Where was the Rockware Club? Was it in a road that went from Eccleston to Knowsley Road, the name of which will probably come to me tonight when I stop thinking about it!

St Mark's Hall is the original building but has been extended fron back and side.

Rockware Club is in Standish Street opposite Forsters Park on the corner of Shaw Street.

On the opposite side of Shaw Street is this below.

05ViKey.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

A lot of this type seem to be "cooking" sites under JUST EAT etc.

Seems this type of set up is  now falling foul of legalities over non delivery or late deliveries refundx.

Issues as to who you sue.The delivery person or the cookshop etc.

yep it was  Army and navy..But like a lot of structures,If you look above ground level you see the former beauty.Wonder when the building was decimated.Is there any info through the censuses? 

HORT,years ago when nearly every thread didn't have to have politics.We used to talk about different areas of town from the past.

We discussed how the framework of buildings hsd been destroyed by the development of the lower bits into small shops with no design thought.

If you look at your pic you should see what i mean

I hope when MASONIC BUILDINGS was constructed it didn't have those grotty shops on the lower level.So was asking how did it originally look.

Hoping the census etc could identify its past usage and when the lower parts were altered.

PS.We had fisvussed when you looked UP when walking down many streets youncould admire the ORIGINAL STRUCTURE and not how the lower psrts had been destroyed by fitting in bland shop fronts.

I hope thst clarifies.

I

Looking at the view from Spray Street, in the 1940/50s that Funeral Director's place used to be Boardman's Hardware shop and the white house opposite was a grocery shop. It was Bert's end of the street. Remember Pickavance's newspaper shop further down Bert?

• Like (+1) 2

Yes Alan, I remember Pickervance's; it was on the entry corner, the entry that linked to Lingham Rd. Not only sold newspapers but also "Indian Brandy". 

Thank's Hort for the photos of 'arris St. Alan's end was the posh end because in the 40's they had their own fish & chip shop; it was on the even numbered side. My residence was close to the second car on the left (odd numbers). It should be easily recognised as there should be a plaque saying, "1938 to 1956", here lived Bert.

• Like (+1) 1