Sign in to follow this  
non sibi sed omnibus

will sthelens town centre improve?

We are a remarkable people in this town and we produce all manner of goods and services but at times I get fed up of people running it down if you backed local businesses instead of going to Liverpool or Warrington to do your shopping and once in awhile got off your assholes and held this council to account you would all do This is a great town and it will get better but it needs all of us to support it smile.png

I agree with your sentiments antony I don't do our town down and rarely criticise the council as I believe most of our councillors are hard working and do their best within the strictures that this government allows. However, I enjoy shopping in other towns. We both like the variation and Widnes has a particularly good number of free car parks.I would also point out that you can park with peace of mind as I don't remember ever seeing a Traffic Warden in Widnes. I also visit Leigh quite a lot as it has a good honest Lancashire feel about the place.

Has no one connected the death of T J Hughes and other shops with the fact that our loyal Council let foreign markets come here at Christmas and again in the Summer and set up their stalls IN FRONT OF shops who pay rates and employ St Helens staff ALL YEAR. Their main trade vanishes and they can't weather the slack periods after Christmas and Holiday Shopping and close.

Whilst on the subject of our Shopping Street couldn't kiddies play areas such as bouncy castles etc be put on our unused Town Hall Square as it must distract worship times especially funerals and weddings from taking place at the Parish Church.

Whilst on the subject of our Shopping Street couldn't kiddies play areas such as bouncy castles etc be put on our unused Town Hall Square as it must distract worship times especially funerals and weddings from taking place at the Parish Church.

• Like (+1) 1

Aye, I suppose it could be a bit worse. Like coming out of a funeral and there are clowns and acrobats everywhere, guys on stilts, elephants and things - plus this music.

• Like (+1) 2

I know it was there first but churches and shopping centers just dont blend..

Maybe convert the church into a big indoor market like the one we had years ago.

Edited by SKYMAN

I'd keep the church, flatten the shops and build much needed new housing in the town centre - form a new community. We've got all the retail parks we need roundabout and most people have cars or access to them.

There's even a free bus service to most retail parks. Times have changed and we need to change our thinking, town centres are no longer used for most folks retail needs today the internet and retail parks are how we do our shopping.

• Like (+1) 1

Perhaps if they removed the paved area and put it back to what it was when we got married at church in the late 60s- with trees(vandals not withstanding).You could still have the shops but it would make it more pleasing.

• Like (+1) 2

I think theres a mosque in Sutton,not 100% sure though, it could just be an Islamic centre.

i understand there's one in Sutton Heath.

It wont now with those benches removed from the Hardshaw Centre,i think its terrible..the only thing pensioners have and not only for them its for everyone..to chat or relax.

Boycott the Hardshaw Centre..Shame on you!

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/forums/topic/81278-star-news-bring-back-our-benches-pensioners-plea-to-hardshaw-centre-bosses/

Edited by Robbob

Hear,Hear Robbob. Apparently it was done following a survey which suggested that people like wide areas when shopping.Well where those benches were was hardly narrow. And has anyone on this Forum ever seen this "Survey" ?

Yes. The survey claiamed the benches reeked of pensioners' piss and that made them an elf and Safety Risk.

No. Never heard of any survey AF. Hort that's a silly joke which isn't true and shows a sneering disregard of the elderly.

Kizzy, at what age does one become elderley?

This is a trend in most shopping malls these days.Its an absolute disgrace.There is adequate space for people to sit and rest as well as to circulate and shop.If people were sat there with their flasks of tea,bottles of beer etc Icould understand it.I've sat here eating a pie or sausage role with acan of coke all bought in the local shops.

More relevant Hort is at what age does one grow up? You clearly you haven't got there yet.

• Like (+1) 1

Who did the survey?

My neighbours wont be shopping through the Hardshaw Centre, so thats two more gone

Possible solution.Bring your own camping stool!?buy a pie from waterfields and sitand eat it.The tannoy does say-ONLY FOOD BOUGHT IN THE CENTRE CAN BE EATEN.So they cant throw you out?You are saimply following their recognition.

I'd like to bet that the reason for getting rid of the benches was to leave space free for even more 'rent-paying stands/stalls' - thus bringing in further revenue to the centre.

• Like (+1) 3

Ollie has it correct. Also, shop keepers were saying it spoilt the image of the centre as people thought it was a place only old people go.

The truth is, the only people who shop there nowadays are pensioners who get a free ride on the bus and people who happen to work in the town centre. Everyone else shops at the retail parks where you can drive to.

Banning pensioners will only ban some of the few customers they do have available to them.

Edited by donkey o'tay

Perhaps if they removed the paved area and put it back to what it was when we got married at church in the late 60s- with trees(vandals not withstanding).You could still have the shops but it would make it more pleasing.

Well said. I'm not keen on these pedestrianised shopping areas it doesn't make any difference to the shopping experience and just looks bland. Everywhere you go its too many cars too much concrete and not enough tree's or greenery. Every housing estate looks like a giant car park with the exception of the older estates which at least has some tree's

• Like (+1) 1

I see warrington are spending over 100 million to revamp the bridge st. area.Where are they getting the money from.their town centre is much better than ours already.