8796341466_a1832a5b42_b.jpg
Merton Bank Rd by Robbob©, on Flickr

8796346874_5a75694897_b.jpg
12 by Robbob©, on Flickr

8796352488_99bf1f012b_b.jpg
13 by Robbob©, on Flickr

Sorry Dave,the 3rd picture is Derwent rd
  • Like (+1) 3

what are they doing in Merton Bank Rd Rob, hope it is something to stop the flooding,under the bridge.nice pics by the way.

To be honest i could smell gas so i dont know if its pipelines they are doing or sorting the water leakage thats always there

Thanks Rob. Great Photos. Brought back some great memories, especially of walking to St. Peter and Paul Church.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi ROBBOB.Theyve now cut off(for a while)my little short cut.I try to keep away from Jackson st to get from ELR to Morrisons cos of roadstae(noting your photo).Hopefully whoever comes to finish off merton bank road will give it a decent surface and if they have any material left over do Jackson st at last!!we can only hope.

PS were starting to panic a little bit in our road.After waiting years for it to be tarmaced and surviving the digging up scenarios after it was done, we spotted the dreaded highways surveyors measuring again.

May start a thread on roads of our area?

Oh no Nsso..ill have to snap St.Helens roads now lol

Go on..give it a go

th_hf05.jpg

This one brings back quite a few memories. the shop on the corner used to be Andrews and it sold 'hardware' and general non-food 'stuff'. I'd sometimes buy the odd thing from there, but the most memorable thing was a simple 'Robin' type mask - just cardboard with elastic that you'd put over your head. It was memorable because it was something that I was determined to buy, aged about 7, on my way home from school. The view you can see now is where I was and I saw the big beer wagon coming up Woodlands Road, but in my mind I could easily get across the road before it got near. Except the driver had other ideas and he slammed his brakes on while crates of beer bottles came flying off, hitting the road. I didn't bother getting the mask that day, I ran off, but everybody knew what I'd done - and apparently it'd been a bit of a job sweeping all the broken glass off the road. smile.png

The shop next door was Martins News Agents. Out on the front there was a cigarette machine and I think there were novelty machines and chewing gum and stuff that shopkeepers wouldn't dare have outside these days. After Martin's left it was Hobson's, then Sweetlove's. The other shop was Warren's grocers - boring! Stan McCormick's grocer's shop down on Haresfinch Road was more interesting and entertaining..

• Like (+1) 2

Other shops at Haresfinch were Ashton's grocers and post office. A hairdressers also opened in the front of the house attached to Ashton's. There was also a grocers shop across the road from the Coop. Can't remember the name but I think that it closed in the mid 60s.

Loved the pictures and many happy memories. However was there plots or something like that just after you went under the bridge to your left? I know Washway Lane was/is around there with the Co-Op sports ground near by. After the war I seem to remember going to some plots there with my dad. Don't know why we would have needed a plot as we lived at the bottom block of Alfred Street near Hardshaw Park and the houses had small gardens at the back. However I remember this my sisters don't.

Joyce

Someone mentioned on here about the post office at Haresfinch as in 'what it is now' plus this house was mentioned too.Was it to do with the park as in caretaker/Lodge?

Anyway heres 3 pics from the other day

11610026996_b40e07de11_c.jpg
Former Haresfinch Post Office by Robbob© Trying to catch up, on Flickr

11609500183_806f651b1e_c.jpg
Former Haresfinch Spar by Robbob© Trying to catch up, on Flickr

11609296645_509c4ec980_c.jpg
Was this Haresfinch Lodge for the Park? I Blanked out numberplates by Robbob© Trying to catch up, on Flickr

Another angle so you will know where i mean

11609938254_a915a175fd_c.jpg
Woodlands Rd by Robbob© Trying to catch up, on Flickr

Does anyone know about the house in the park,I'm sure it was mentioned on here somewhere

pretty sure it used to be called " the ponderosa " when we were kids

Does anyone know about the house in the park,I'm sure it was mentioned on here somewhere

Was it the lodge to Haresfinch House once the home of the Bromilow family of Merton Bank

coal owners

After doing all that work on Merton Bank Rd you would think they would of erected a sign, warning of possible flooding under the bridge, also a marker on the side of the bridge, to show the depth of the water, when your heading towards Haresfinch the footpath on the right gives a false sense of the depth under the bridge.

Yes that was the lodge which was part of the.. ?..estate. Can't think of the family just now.

It was completely surrounded by a large wall.

Varley's, that was it ! smile.png

• Like (+1) 1

Guest andyr00

The grocers turned into Tom Wrights

I used to buy evo stick from Andrew's and sniff it on the burgeys

Edited by andyr00

Just been reading about Haresfinch House.Though around 1960 cannot remember the house.However when I read the info provided it struck a chord.

When I was starting my family tree via this site,my 1840s relatives lived in BROMILOW BUILDINGS.They were miners so now know how these poor S**S helped to finance the lavish lifestyle and wedding.I didn't have any info on Bromilow buildings but this gave me some insight.Also some people were previously asking about THE MANSION HOUSE and the link with ANSDELL.This also seems to give a bit more info.Also the name is in Rainhill.Unfortunately the fact that BROMILOW left StHelens,it would be nice to know whuich FORIEGN VILLA did he go to on the back of the miners and wives he employed.Its amazing how some info suddenly appears out of the blue on this site!

The grocers turned into Tom Wrights

True. I'd forgotten about him. He lived near my dad on Laffak Road.

The lodge to the park was lived in by the Teelings - Jim (a retired miner) and Sally (who worked at Haresfinch House). Their son joined the army and was killed in an army RTA in Germany. They remained in the cottage when the house was demolished.

On the contrary re Warren's being boring ohyeah.gif - as a kid I lived in Roland Ave and I well remember late 50's/early 60's, Mr.Warren using a stick to flick loose his highly stacked tin stuffs and catching them before they hit the floor and was also a bakers as well as grocers and he had a wire haired fox terrier called Paddy who would let him into the back of his shop to get a freshly baked loaf but wouldn't let him back out again - Mr.Warren regularly came back into his shop from the bakery bit with Paddy gamely hanging onto his trouser turn-ups! Those freshly baked loaves got me into trouble every Saturday 'cos I couldn't walk back home without eating most of the inside of the loaf!

FYA Mr.Warren also used to visit his regulars every New Years Eve to say thanks for their custom - nice touch.

Edited by Mr.Yat