Sign in to follow this  
non sibi sed omnibus

area bounded by jackson st,higher parr st and parr stocks road.

I am trying to recall areas that whilst not exactly living in but passed through regularly on my travels as a youngster.

One of my regular routes was coming from parr stocks across stinky brook through the tangle of streets to get to the parrdog,coop in fingerpost or carry on to town.

I have been amazed at the various specific threads relating to premises mentioned and wondered were these from people who actually lived in that area.they had their own cinema,small shops,pubs, businesses and this has all gone to be replaced by a mass of housing that to my mind is non descript.It just looks as if someone has bought a whole set of lego and dropped it.Even sadder that find Holy cross church now up for sale.Parrdog-then AT FREE now boarded up!!.I am also putting another thread on for around college st and north road.

Parr Mount school was demolished years ago can’t recall the exact year off hand

Apparently it was named after a local blacksmith called Joseph Jackson (Black Gold And Hot Sand - Mike Fletcher).

Joseph Jackson is in the centre of this photograph.

rgbrook_photograph.jpg

R.G. Brook's photograph of builder John 'Bally' Whittaker (31 stone - left), wheelwright Joseph Jackson (22 stone - centre - Jackson Street was named after him), glass flattener Charles Rigby (18 stone - right) plus builder J. Roughsedge & W. Gardiner

Edited by Phyll

I was born in South John Street in 1935 when my parents were living with an Aunt & Uncle. We were allocated a Council house in Blackbrook in 1937 but I visited my Aunt & Uncle every Saturday. I remember some of the shops in Traverse Street (my favourite being Evelyn's toffee shop).There was also a Butchers where I helped out doing minor tasks. The owner was Sam Galliver who I think retired to The Isle-of-Man. The area mentioned by non sibi sed omnibus was a thriving community supporting about five pubs. I wonder how many survive today?

Hi Johnmuse.Unfortunately none.The reason I have put the various blocks on as threads is to try and revive the memories for people of as you say these thriving communities.Unfffortunately they have now either been turned into legoland or supermarket areas etc.In and out of the shopsgetting chased by the shopkeeper.trying to buy BROKEN biscuits.going to the pub to get money back offf bottles.fighting in the seats at the saturday matinee.short back and sides/basin cuts at the barbers.