Sign in to follow this  
non sibi sed omnibus

silk weaving-croft near winwick!

This site never ceases to amaze with work info.Family background far and wide of jobs.However just come across this one-SILK WEAVER.How on earth did my family get involved with this-cotton-weaving from ireland etc yes and watchmaking--but this has me stumped.Did this come across from overseas?

I understand that Macclesfield had a thriving silk industry - not too far away so maybe there's a connection.

It's weird what you find when you start delving.

I started lock picking as a hobby a few years ago, the idea to pick locks came out of the blue.

A couple of years later when I started looking into my family tree it turns out my GG grandfather and G Grandfather were both locksmiths.

How spooky is that? :)

Yeah, On the other hand I found ancestors that were seamstresses and tailors and I'm terrible at sewing!

I just can get by with the basics, but I wish I had inherited their talents. ohyeah.gif

NSSO, You might find this link interesting, it covers emigrants, industry and manufacture in Lancashire.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40584/40584-h/40584-h.htm

And maybe this one might help too.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Croft/

Edited by Phyll

Quite a lot of silk weaving was done in Leigh (which I suppose isn't that far away from Croft) in the late 18th/early 19th century. It was a cottage industry but I don't think it was particularly well paid. I agree, it's surprising what you turn up when you start to investigate your ancestors.

Cottage Industry

'Throughout the middle of the nineteenth century silk weaving was one of Leigh's major industries.'

Hand loom weaving was carried out in cottages in Lowton, Culcheth and

Winwick. Silk was imported from Italy, China and Japan in raw state. The silk was dyed before main

preparation carried out, it was sent to Leek, Coventry and Macclesfield.

Yes, Silk weaving was mainly in Leigh, and it spread to other areas, such as Croft, Culcheth and Lowton.

There is a lot of info. on this link, which mentions Croft, Culcheth and Lowton.

http://www.leighlife.com/?page=wiki&id=leighlife:silkman

Also found this connection between Leigh and Winwick.

"Under the terms of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 the townships formed part of the Leigh Poor Law Union,

which was established on 26 January 1837 and was responsible for an area covering the whole of the ancient

parish of Leigh and part of Winwick."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh,_Greater_Manchester

• Like (+1) 1

It's weird what you find when you start delving.

I started lock picking as a hobby a few years ago, the idea to pick locks came out of the blue.

A couple of years later when I started looking into my family tree it turns out my GG grandfather and G Grandfather were both locksmiths.

How spooky is that? smile.png

Hello Le200. I have had the urge to learn lock picking myself. Any advice, pick sets etc..

Any set will do towny.

Search Amazon for lock picks and complete sets will come up in the results.

I actually only use one pick and a wrench for all yale type locks so a small set will do you.

The hardest part is getting locks to practice with.

When I started a set of 6 picks and six bump keys cost me £80 :(

You can get them now for under £20

Any set will do towny.

Search Amazon for lock picks and complete sets will come up in the results.

I actually only use one pick and a wrench for all yale type locks so a small set will do you.

The hardest part is getting locks to practice with.

When I started a set of 6 picks and six bump keys cost me £80 sad.png

You can get them now for under £20

Thanks for that. I will have a shufty around..

Le200.That was great reading about your hobby. I also share an interest in locks and picking. I didn't think I'd ever come across anyone else with the same eccentric interest.

It is a bit of an odd one isn't it DD :lol:

I had ancestors who were silk weavers some started as fustian weavers and then later adapted to silk, one was from leigh originally, but there was also a silk weaving factory in westhoughton so quite a bit in the surrounding area.

I saw on who do you think you are and down in london it was said to be the hugonaughts who brought it to England and spread throughout the country.

I also heard one of our Kings, I can't remember which wanted to breed silk worms, as silk clothing was big business,but apparently they got the wrong type of mulbury trees so that didn't take off

but it was all so interesting learning about it, and there is a factory museum in macclesfield the last silk making mill, I did fancy going but its quite a way

I love finding out the work my ancestors did

• Like (+1) 1