Sign in to follow this  
Griffin

Ghost boy on new bridge

I was intrigued by this story in the Star, as linked from the site's news page. I hadn't heard about it before. There's no doubt that some people have seen what are termed ghosts. I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that this is evidence of an afterlife. I just think some buildings and places have a means, which we don't yet understand, of retaining impressions of past occupants and events. After all, if my grandfather, who died in 1955, saw a videotape recording, he'd probably think it was something supernatural. Yet even that technology is now obsolete (except here, where we use two VCRs - but I digress).

One curious thing about ghost sightings is that, except in Hollywood films, the apparition never interacts with the observer, or seems aware of him. Ghosts also seem able to pass through walls, usually where there used to be a doorway, now blocked off. They have been seen to float above the floor, or be walking with the floor part way up their legs, in cases where the ground level has changed over the years. This, to me, reinforces the "stone tape" theory - that the apparition is simply some sort of recording.

I just wondered what used to be where the new bridge to Tesco is now? It's not far from the derelict tank house, but does anybody recall if there were any buildings corresponding to the location of the new bridge? And has anybody here seen anything strange there?

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Griff, I saw that article, what amused me were the Comments underneath, especially the one from Everard Edbutt! ohyeah.gif

Sorry, but this defo warrants a link.

http://www.sthelenss..nts____bridge_/

BTW, Don't feel bad, I am still using VCR's, (even though I also have DVD Players) I prefer VCR's.

Edited by Phyll

So do I,got too good of a collection.

I did a very late night shop when Tescos first opened,there is something about the car park that made me want to drive off very quickly,it was so eerie.

To explain the two VCRs - when TV here went digital, I decided I'd be buggered if I was going to spend any money to continue watching. The licence fee is quite enough. I devised a system around our old CRT television, whereby we have a Freeview box with its own VCR, and a Sky box with its VCR, and also a DVD player. We don't subscribe to Sky - we just use the free channels. The output from the Sky box or its VCR, the Freeview box or its VCR, or the DVD player, can be routed to the TV by a SCART swiching arrangement. This gives us the capability to watch one channel and tape another, which it would be awkward to do without. All the components except the TV and the SCART switch came from Freecycle, as did a spare VCR and a spare Sky box. Am I a cheapskate? Probably, but it's very satisfying to solve technical problems, and a large wall-mounted TV just wouldn't be us.

Jeez, that was off-topic. Glad it's my thread.

• Like (+1) 1

Jeez, Sorry I mentioned it! doh.gif

That'll teach me! ohyeah.gif

They are the owners of Seymour windows I'm sure. Anyway there are more people who have seen the bot - one late at night - about 1 am. Scary stuff.

Dose anyone know what was on this land before the tesco and the new bridge Was all this land part of the old bottom works ?

The gas holder looks a bit different now :)

The gas holder looks a bit different now smile.png

But not much! Don't think I've ever seen something demolished before in such a leisurely fashion.

Too true. It was probably built faster than it's coming down. Welcome by the way.

Be good to have some imput from someone born outside the towns boundaries smile.png

On 22/09/2012 at 11:43 PM, antony said:

Dose anyone know what was on this land before the tesco and the new bridge Was all this land part of the old bottom works ?

At least up to the sixties Pilks. had a large railway siding there part of which  was used for the delivery of white sand .I am sure I read over time children were buried whilst playing in the sand as it collapsed on top of them .There was at least one fatality.Maybe there is a connection. 

I think your right there knockaloe, i'm sure i've heard something  about kids being buried playing on the sands,  when I was a kid we used to mess about on the sand in between swimming in the hotties.

there is nothing scary about ghosts,b4 my late wife came to live with me she used to have a ghost visit on a regular basis,i never saw it,but my god i could feel it,she lived in carnegie crescent then,

• Like (+1) 1

Smick, was the ghost a relative of your wife.

no apparently she said he was 14 years old called harry an got killed in the pit [dont no which one]but she said when she was ill,he came to take her with him,but she told me she weren,t ready to go,,,,she moved from that house and came to live with me an we married then,,,he never followed her,,but i tell u john my god i could feel him it that house,,when he visited we always got up in the morning with either the front or back door open,even tho they were locked at night.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for replying Smick, I know a similar story, I think I put it on connect in the ghost story section along with a couple of more tales.

ok john feel free to repost,

• Like (+1) 1

Hi smick, I've posted that ghost story in St Helens ghost stories ,in St Helens topics.