Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kettlaness

Getting copies of Wills

Hi All,

A few years ago, I managed to get a copy of my Great Grandfather's will (he died in 1933), from a company which was offering this service for a modest fee.

I'd like to find another few wills; however, the company that I obtained the first one from, no longer exists.

Can anyone recommend a good source for getting copies of wills ?

Thank you for any advice/information !

Hi.

Ancestry springs to mind but you would have to post more information either in the thread or in a PM to a anyone that volunteers to look it up for you.

Yes Ancestry has the National Probate Calender and its the only place you will get it online, you can also inspect it in person at each district probate office. When you find a relevent entry you can print off a form and send for the probate record which may include a will, from the Principal Probate Registry here :-

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa01s-eng.pdf.

This will cost £6 and takes within 21 days

Here is full info from the above registry because if the will is pre 1858 there is another procedure

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

as Le says if you give details ie name date of death and which area, someone will look it up for you.

Cheers for the replies - much appreciated.

I keep thinking that I should join Ancestry, but I've not got round to it yet.

So full membership of Ancestry, would allow me to download copies of my Ancestor's wills ? Are there no constraints ?

I'm trying to get a copy of the will of Maria (Mynie) Willis; born 1870 in Prescot, died October 14th 1953 aged 83 in Harrogate, Yorkshire.

Maria Willis is an ancestor of mine; she was born in Prescot to a family of modest means; she never married and yet somehow, moved to Harrogate and lived in a nice house on The Stray. I'm hoping that the will might provide a bit of interesting info.

Thank you again, for the information - much appreciated !