Sign in to follow this  
gilly

Your teachers,can you name 'em?Are they still with us?

I went to Merton bank school in very early 70's I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my life. Words I couldn't possibly put on here to explain,

It still makes me grit my teeth if I have to drive past now over 40yrs later. I still have a scar on my arm from where a teacher hit me..

Can't believe I wrote that thread and not one expletive managed to get typed..

Oh happy days ..:)

I went to Merton bank school in very early 70's I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my life. Words I couldn't possibly put on here to explain, It still makes me grit my teeth if I have to drive past now over 40yrs later. I still have a scar on my arm from where a teacher hit me..
I think most of the teachers were sadistic up untill a few years ago,i could talk all night about my experiences of sadistic teachers from junior school to secondary school. i might name and shame them in the near future.

jeb I also went higher grade and remember most you mention the chemistry teacher was ken hill (stinker hill) and you missed spam anders.humpy Thompson,paddy evans. ben griffin was the head when I went followed mr Dixon (dopey Dixon)

HI ALL CAN REMEMBER SOME BUT NOT ALL OF THEM.

York Street Infants

When were you a pupil at York St? I started 1950 when I was living at the bottom of Cowley Hill Lane.

st mary`s keswick road,anyone remember mr swift,fred naylor..

st mary`s keswick road,anyone mr swift,fred naylor..

Edited by philanne32

HORT

I went to Grange Park just after you. One teacher I still hate to this very day was Helsby a real nasty piece of work. Probably dead by now.

It was quite right that we girls at Notre Dame were not allowed to go near the stream between our school and your rugby pitch when I was there in 60-65. We were not too bothered as we were more interested in the Cowley boys who got on our bus!

I went to Grange Park during the war years ,
LEFT IN 1945,would love to talk to anyone

that was there during this period,cant be

many of us left ,of course in those days

the guys and dolls were separate,

IF you wernt there maybe your dad was, pm me.

jeb I also went higher grade and remember most you mention the chemistry teacher was ken hill (stinker hill) and you missed spam anders.humpy Thompson,paddy evans. ben griffin was the head when I went followed mr Dixon (dopey Dixon)

Has anyone mentioned Mr Brookfield - had a yellow ford Anglia. Mt Tockle - art.

• Like (+1) 1

Knowsley Road - Year 5, Mr Lynch asked me to tell the class "all I knew about sex". After a fair bit of hesitation I began with "Well you have a boy and a girl and .."

"No, No, No" he shouted writing on the board "SETS"

He then very proficiently taught us how to do Venn diagrams which I have never forgotten

Needless to say, Mr Lynch had a lisp!

• Like (+1) 2

HORT

I went to Grange Park just after you. One teacher I still hate to this very day was Helsby a real nasty piece of work. Probably dead by now.

helsby was there when i was Kevin, but he never taught me, but those he did teach all called him a bastard.

Nothing to do with teachers named in immediately previous posts, but could members please remember the rules for this forum. There have been occasions where we've had to delete and apologise for defamatory posts when family of people in discussions have been named. You don't want to put that sort of burden onto yours truly, do you? Cheers.

No Dave, but facts are facts and people are judged on their behaviour and the way they treated pupils. Most of the ones that have been named on here would be in Jail these days for what thet did.

i don't remember many of the 1950s Cowley teachers with much affection but they were probably good fathers to their kids who do remember them with love. So for this reason alone it's best to not judge them too harshly in a public forum.

Also, with regards to physical punishment the world has changed and yes, they probably would end up in jail today for some of the beatings they gave us, but so would many of our parents

Edited by Alan

ALAN - facts are facts - some of the things that I saw with my own eyes were a disgrace to the school and the teachers who perpertrated them, regardless of how much they loved their own kids. They treated us with uncalled for agression and uncalled for violence. I have named some in the past on here.

i will never take back what I have said about those teachers who I saw abuse children. end of story.

• Like (+1) 1

St Austins,Thatto Heath teachers between (app) 1955/60

Miss Baxter, Mrs Twist, Mrs Mercer, Mrs Fairhurst and Mrs Lawrenson.

Oddly I can't remember any teachers from the infants/juniors school in Crown Street

I think most of the teachers were sadistic up untill a few years ago,i could talk all night about my experiences of sadistic teachers from junior school to secondary school. i might name and shame them in the near future.

I guess I was lucky. I went to Merton Bank school from 1954-1960 and on to Parr Central and the only sadistic teachers I came across where two games teachers at Parr Cent. If your face didn't fit they treated you like crap..
  • Like (+1) 1

kizzy one name sticks in my mind of teachers in infant school and its mrs hardman.

Guest Honey

it's funny how many teachers never forget their pupils, I was working at St Helens Hospital many years ago and bumped into one of my teachers from Robins Lane, Mrs Dawes, she knew me straight away, what a nice blast from the past!

st mary`s keswick road,anyone remember mr swift,fred naylor..

st mary`s keswick road,anyone mr swift,fred naylor..

Yes I remember teachers George Swift( Swiffer) and Fred Naylor. I was at St.Mary's, Keswick Rd. 1958- 62. Other teachers I remember:-

Mrs. Evans - English

Miss Ashcroft - Science

Miss Alcock - History

Miss Beetle - Religious Education

Miss Wright -Art

Miss Hussey - P.E.

Mr. Skidmore (Skiddy) - Head Master

I loved my time at St Mary's and look back at it with great affection. The school dinners were delicious!

I tried to track down 'Swiffer' but was just a few months too late as he had died from his home by Taylor Park. Would have loved to have been able to thank him for the part he played in instilling confidence in my abilities.

• Like (+1) 1

Knowsley Road up to spring '45. Then we all left after sitting the first of the new 11 plus exams. Except they were always referred to as 'The Scholarship.'

The teachers I remember were Miss Henty (Headmistress), Miss Foggo ( a lovely lady, but I sat at the front and she did tend to spray a little as she spoke). There was a Miss Patrick who frightened me. There was also just one male teacher I recall - a Mr. Angers. Happy memories of Miss (?) Davies. Probably Mrs as she and her husband took four of us to Old Trafford to see the Victory Test Match in '45.

Rivington Road before that. I don't remember any teachers by name, but I do remember regularly going down into the cellars when the air raid alarm sounded.

ok these are the ones I can still remember

Apologies in advance for all the Political Incorrectness

Laffak infants
Miss Gregson

Parish Church Junior School
R G (Mickey) Myers
Ruth Kendrick
Fred Swift
John Millington
Miss Bradbury

Cowley Boys’
W H (Fred) Wright
F M (Flash) Clifton
R G (Toby) Tough
P A (Kong) Morley
Jim Lidgate
Alastair Boyd
W J (Chiselchops) Wilcock
S J (Dan) Roddan
Norman Crewe
Frank Rimmer
(Sarky) Heyward
P J Allison
Brian Marsden
Dick Moss
(Jack) Landless
F (Jonah) Naylor
E (Kipper) Adshead
Mike Holland
T C (Ebb) Frodsham
Don Taylor
Dr. Bob Critchley
“Craterface”
Harry Siggers
(Ned) Naish
R (Don) Lang
(Wally) Drane

And must be others who I’ve forgotten

Just joined the site today so I'm intrigued to see what is here.

Re Cowley ('45 - '49), several names on the list I remember. Clifton, Rodden, Morley, Hayward, Moss, Adshead -

none of the others. Mike Holland would be the same chap was at school with. Played on the wing when I remember him. Other names - Cantle(Headmaster) - a horrible, snobbish man - Bilinki, (Lefty)

Lees, Powell (2 0f them - one with a long 'o' and one without). Cogan, Skidmore (he remembered my 2 brothers from Rivington Road), M'selle Poitevin,

Cashin,(Shem) Webb, (Fuzzy) Fairhurst.Then anyone there then will remember Tom Smith, the janitor.His footsteps were unmistakeable and he was alleged to have cork feet. J.D. Robins ( a British Lion), Richardson,

Hi.have you looked at cowley horrors thread-quite a few names there.I add-
fairhurst-art,spud powell-woody,hordley?most of those you name were really cracking teachers-some were a pain in the a**e.
prefects were also a pain.we did have at one time a teacher(standing in?)who was jewish and he had to get back to manchester early on friday cos of sabbath.

That was a man named Bilinki. Asthmatic and used a phrase "Right, sit quietly" that he became known for.

Edited by AitchD

Only one teacher ever made any impression on me in my whole life and that was Barry Halpin at Merton Bank

I used to worship the guy when I was a kid he made everything interesting and taught me that there was life outside our street

He also taught me the words to , Dirty old town and This land is your land ( nearly every lesson he would get his guitar out and we would sing "the Manchester rambler " ) he also told some ace ghost stories about out on the moors

He later became famous after his death for NOT being lord Lucan ohyeah.gif?

Edited by mally

I assume Mr Myers {head at Parish Church Junior} in the late 60's / early 70's is no longer with us. Some very dark memories of that man.

Here's what I remember from 'Eddy Camp' 1966-1971:-

Pat Booth - Headmaster

Stan Russell- Maths

Tony? Middlehurst- PE/English

Tommy 'Totty' Wallace - Geography

Johnny Norris- History/RE

Fred Ashcroft- Tech Drawing

Billy Fildes - Art

Tony Green- Science

Mike Foster - Science/Maths/Corporal Punishment

'Diddy' Campsey English?

Mr Bates English?

Mr Mercer - Woodwork

Mr Westhead - Metalwork

Norman Kelly - Maths

The caretaker was Joe Foy.

Can't remember any more but I visited there several years later and hardly knew any of the teachers that were there.

I went to Prescot Grammar 1958 on, can't believe how strict it was. Had to wear school uniform at all times ( including cap), had to call women teachers & secretaries sir ( can you believe that !), when walking along corridors had to walk on right hand side. I hated every minute that i was there. Passed 11+ at only aged 10, all my mates went to Whiston Central School or Eccleston Park Tech College. We had tests at the end of each term & apart from one subject ( a different one that I picked each term) which I came top in I came bottom in all the others ( hoping to get thrown out). Eventually did get expelled aged 15, no exams, nothing. Finished on the Friday started work following Monday. Robert Spencer Briggs was headmaster.