Sign in to follow this  
gilly

Your teachers,can you name 'em?Are they still with us?

I can name the teachers at Sutton Manor "Blood splashers" School from the 1930s

Standard 1 Mrs Lewis

2 Mrs Watson

3 Miss Randles

4 Miss Cope

5 Mr Bates

6 Mr Leatherbarrow

7 Mr Fazackerly

Headmaster Mr Brown

I remember Mr Griggs at Central teaching us English, he was a little barmy but I learned quite a lot from him. At junior school, I prefer to forget one particular teacher but he still haunts me

Mr Dean was gorgeous and his jeep!

Central Modern

Miss Mckay Headmistress

Miss Morrel Deputy Head and Geography

Miss Cathcart History

Mrs Johnson Needlework

Mrs Fairclough Art

Mrs Moses Geography

Miss/Mrs Pritchard

Two cookery teachers

can't remember their names.

Miss Halliwell Music

Mrs Moorhouse Maths

Mrs Harrison Swimming P.E. Games

Mrs Jones Biology

WHEN THE SCHOOLS MERGED

ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS

Mr Smart Headmaster

Mr Watts boys deputy

Mr Taylor French

Mr Griggs Maths

I remember Miss Halton and Miss Hughes. Miss Halton was ensconced with the teacher from the boys school who had acne scars, curly hair and glasses. It think he taught history.

Sidney Griggs taught English surely?

There were two Mr Taylors too. One taught French as you say the other taught Geography.

There was a young teacher who taught Art in the boys school too (after it was merged) and he ended up with a fifth former.

When I was at CM (early 60's) Peter Taylor taught Geography and Ralph Music.

I can remember quite a few at West Park in the late 50's early 60's:

Bro Augustine: Head (the late Pete Postelthwaite, in his autobiography, gives an affectionate portrait of him)

Bro Vincent: taught French, I think,

Bro Dominic: dunno what he taught but produced a G&S with the Notre Dame girls in early 63

Mr Webster: a gentle man who taught maths

Bro Victor: History

Basil Shacklady: Chemistry: caned a lot; his wife was school secretary and ran the tuck shop

Mr Holland: taught us English for a couple of years; well liked

Bro Sirenus: didn't teach me but came with a legendary reputation for cricket skills

Mr North: Taught French; very flamboyant and drove a single seater Messerschmidt!

Mr Mountain: very short!, taught Geography! and Economics

Mr Rogan: taught us Latin, Music, recently deceased, I think

Mr Howarth: taught English in his sober suit but managed to get a bunch of us 16 year olds switched on to Jane Austen

Jo Coan, of course,

Mr MacDoughner: taught us physics

and several others whom my memory refuses to release

• Like (+1) 1

Basil Shacklady taught me biology and yes i experienced the wrong side of his penchant for the cane,Rocky Mountain ,forgot about him

Brother Dominic taught English, and ran the school library in the old school. He was keen on more modern writers, and played us the soundtrack album of West Side Story, which he brought back from a trip to America. He offered to teach Greek to anybody who was prepared to give up part of the lunch break - almost two hours in those days. It had been dropped from the main curriculum, but he felt it was still an important subject.

• Like (+1) 1

Same age as myself now, in fact, so not very young at all! He was quite young for a headmaster in 1965, though, I think. Maybe his bad attitude stemmed from a feeling of having to prove himself. Mr McLoughlin has just been mentioned in another thread, and I'm glad to hear he's in good form. I don't remember a teacher called Thornitt at all. Our English teacher at one time was Ned Biggs, who was a great country dancing enthusiast. He was impossible to get angry. He used to just shame you into behaving and getting some work done. A really nice chap. I was speaking to his daughter a while ago, and I'm sorry to say he's no longer with us.

His daughter - was her name Elisabeth? If so, I went to school with her at Windleshaw

Eddie must have started teaching there after you left , I am about 6 years behind. you are right about Bro Leonard though, he had a dreadful attitude, but that was by far surpassed by Bro Ambrose who was one of the most objectionable people I have ever met.

Ned Biggs' son was in my brother's class and I seem to remember Joe Coan's children going to Windleshaw so he must have married a catholic.

I think Nicky, Joe Coan's daughter was in my sisters class at Windleshaw or Notre Dame. His son was a really good athlete but his name escapes me.

Merton bank jnrs Harry Cook head master chairman of st helens rlfc , Mrs Ripley , Miss Hurst, Mr Glover, Mr Smedley , Miss Roe , Parr Mount sec mod, Mr Bather head master , Mr Smallshaw p.e. Miss Saunders art, Bob Fowler woodwork , Fanny Wilson girls p.e. Mrs Arrowsmith maths , Mr Sharrocks , Mr Owen music my memory is not what it was lol

I have never seen any of my old teachers knocking about,not that i would want to.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi

I went to St Marys Lowe House from 1959 - 1963. The teachers I Remmber Where

Mr Cunliffe Headmaster (The Beak) Johnny MacNultie Joe Blue Mather Daddy & Mummy Almond Mr Farrely Mr Fairhurst & the Most Hated Teacher was Mr Helsby Who was the Woodwork teacher at the Open Air School(where we had to walk too from Lowe House every week)

Carr Mill Infants 1965-67: Miss Tunstall,Head, Mrs French,Mrs Anders

Carr Mill Juniors 67-71: Mr Appleton,Head, Mr Lievesley,Mr Chamberlain, Mrs Courtman (i know she passed away a couple of years ago,read it in the Star)Miss Bannister

Cenny Mod: Mr Smart,Head (later on Mr Watts got the job) Sid Griggs, RE (he ended up in the salvation army hostel in the late 70's) Miss Halliwell, Mr Taylor,Miss Fairclough (art)

Mr Saunders(my form teacher for a while) i think there was a Miss Cathcart,who taught English -thats all i can remember at the moment

joycegb,, You mention a MR STRINGER,

I left Grange Park in 1945 a MR STRINGER taught me

could it have been the same one ?

Yes Skyman, it probably was the same person as he was quite old when he taught me. I do have a photo. but not good at putting them on Connect, although my son has shown me many times!! Joyce.

ok these are the ones I can still remember

Apologies in advance for all the Political Incorrectness

Laffak infants

Miss Gregson

Parish Church Junior School

R G (Mickey) Myers

Ruth Kendrick

Fred Swift

John Millington

Miss Bradbury

Cowley Boys’

W H (Fred) Wright

F M (Flash) Clifton

R G (Toby) Tough

P A (Kong) Morley

Jim Lidgate

Alastair Boyd

W J (Chiselchops) Wilcock

S J (Dan) Roddan

Norman Crewe

Frank Rimmer

(Sarky) Heyward

P J Allison

Brian Marsden

Dick Moss

(Jack) Landless

F (Jonah) Naylor

E (Kipper) Adshead

Mike Holland

T C (Ebb) Frodsham

Don Taylor

Dr. Bob Critchley

“Craterface”

Harry Siggers

(Ned) Naish

R (Don) Lang

(Wally) Drane

And must be others who I’ve forgotten

Guest Honey

I can't remember one teacher's name from York St infants or Windle Pilkington ,I think it was because I never liked either school, I remember a Mr Smeltzer and Miss Chorley from Parr Flat Junior, the headmaster was Mr Henderson, a really nice man who helped me and my family through some difficult times when my dad passed away, from Robins Lane, Mrs Byrne, Miss Beaumont, I've seen her often in St Helens and she doesn't look any older! Miss Green, Miss Lancaster the headmistress, her bark was worse than her bite, Mrs Fitzimmons, Miss Cole who put the fear of God in me! Miss Atherton and Mrs Dawes who I've met up with and chatted about old times

Edited by Honey

ok these are the ones I can still remember

Apologies in advance for all the Political Incorrectness

Laffak infants

Miss Gregson

Parish Church Junior School

R G (Mickey) Myers

Ruth Kendrick

Fred Swift

John Millington

Miss Bradbury

Cowley Boys’

W H (Fred) Wright

F M (Flash) Clifton

R G (Toby) Tough

P A (Kong) Morley

Jim Lidgate

Alastair Boyd

W J (Chiselchops) Wilcock

S J (Dan) Roddan

Norman Crewe

Frank Rimmer

(Sarky) Heyward

P J Allison

Brian Marsden

Dick Moss

(Jack) Landless

F (Jonah) Naylor

E (Kipper) Adshead

Mike Holland

T C (Ebb) Frodsham

Don Taylor

Dr. Bob Critchley

“Craterface”

Harry Siggers

(Ned) Naish

R (Don) Lang

(Wally) Drane

And must be others who I’ve forgotten

Hi.have you looked at cowley horrors thread-quite a few names there.I add-

fairhurst-art,spud powell-woody,hordley?most of those you name were really cracking teachers-some were a pain in the a**e.

prefects were also a pain.we did have at one time a teacher(standing in?)who was jewish and he had to get back to manchester early on friday cos of sabbath.

Again another old post but I can remember all my teachers from Sacred Heart from 1965-72,

Infants - Mrs Tibbins, Miss M Gallagher, Miss Taylor, Mrs Towey,

Juniors - Miss A Gallagher, Mrs Rigby, Mrs Woods, Miss Brown

Mr Holland was head and there were other teachers who never taught me - Mrs Redcliffe and Mrs Foy

My old art teacher from Grange Park,Miss Jennings only died ealier this year age 102 while my History teacher Mrs.Moss who I visit is 99 and still very alert.

Am I the only one on here that went to Parr Cent

They did used to sing "parr central Parr central the school for the mental "

The teachers on the whole were a bunch of bullying bastards that used to walk round the quadrangles smoking and giving us inmates loads of abuse

• Like (+1) 2

joycegb,I was at Grange Park from 1952 to 1956 and Mr.Stringer taught me.I'd love to see that photograph please try and post it on Connect,I used to struggle putting them on at one time but once you,ve done it a few times it's easy,have another word with your son.

Mister Jones was the head master at grange park school when i was there (1949-1953) , he caned me ,two on each hand, mind you, i deserved it, sneaking off during double games, train spotting down thatto heath cutting.umnik.gif

Mr Stringer taught me maths at Grange Park - I left in 1965.

Later I used to see him in Prince of Wales in town.

Knowsley Road teachers in the early post war period that I can remember were

Mis Hotchkiss, Mrs Foster, Mrs Billingham (or Billington), Miss Fogo, Miss Travis and Joe Welsby. The headmistress was Miss Henty.

Do you remember Miss Fogo teaching with a lighted cig on the go?