gilly

Your teachers,can you name 'em?Are they still with us?

Notre Dame to 1972

Sister Muriel headmistress, subsequently Sister Mary Aidan I believe

Miss White Chemistry

Mr Pilkington Maths (he also taught my dad at West Park)

Mrs Strettle Physics

Miss Sexton Biology

Sister Ruth Geography

Mrs Rimmer History

Miss Mitchell English

Miss Duffy French

Miss Nelson Latin

Sadly many other teachers' names can't be recollected. My time there appreciated and enjoyed.

Hoping my old schoolmates will fill in the blanks.

The only bullying teachers I remember at Parr Cent were all games teachers.

Here's some names of those that taught at West Park during my 7 years - with a brief personal comment

John Bolger - English - aka Catweazle - due to his unkempt facial hair - never marked a book in all my time there!

Billy Bold - Maths - Aimiable old cove, however was able to lose his rag - never hit anyone though

Ned Biggs - English - Genial accordian playing nice guy

Jimmy Lavin - English - a touch eccentric, but a nice fella

Mike ( or was it Charlie) McLaughlin - Latin and Rugby - Lovely bloke

Dr Davies, physics, Miss Price/Rowlands French, Hughie Lynch - English, Willie McDonagh - never caned a boy except as a last resort, Buck Jones, Jack Bradshaw, and Harry Rodgers an avuncular Physics teacher

Amongst my less favoured teachers

'One ball' Basil Shacklady - a crashing pompous bore. Not averse to punishing boys

Mr Rogan - a patronising, 'know-all'

Mr Thompson - metal work - seriously scary. I spent a whole term just filing a piece of metal to keep out of his way

Mr O Brien - music - not to be confused with the French teacher. This fella was nuts. Used to thrash for the fun of it. Nearly took a boy's eye out while whalloping him. Turned out he had MS.

Mr Hazell - Fat mustachioed bully

Mr Campbell - geography - short, chunky, nasty bully

Mr Higgins - History - reeked of B.O. Used to sellotape his glasses together. Horrendous bully. Had an issue with liquor and died.

Brother Bernard - Took a perverse delight in beating boys - often a classroom at a time

Brother Dermot - very disturbed and disturbing

Mike Murphy - PE - Always trying to ingratiate himself with the rugby boys by belittling others.

Billy Bold - Maths - Aimiable old cove, however was able to lose his rag - never hit anyone though
He was a mate of my late Uncle Billy. Lovely bloke but what a scruff! My Gran used to tell me I favvered Billy Bold if she thought I needed tidying up.

Did a bloke called Jerry Seddon teach at West Park in those days?

Quite a few of the above were present in my day too.I'd forgotten some of them.Sure miss Price taught us English and our two Rogers were French and physics

Olliebeak - I was at Cowley 1961-68. Surely the French teacher was Mrs Wade, unforgettable. Born in Wales, she would claim whatever nationality suited here, thus 'We in France/Wales/England. A great and terrifying teacher who could cover the subject brilliantly while making great digressions which brought it all to life.

Also Mr Taylor, who assured us that northern English was closest to the pronunciation of Chaucer

I remember Miss Johnson as history teacher and I think you're right, she did close her eyes while talking to the class.

sorry so late, I'm new/lazy

Am I the only one on here that went to Parr Cent

They did used to sing "parr central Parr central the school for the mental "

The teachers on the whole were a bunch of bullying bastards that used to walk round the quadrangles smoking and giving us inmates loads of abuse

Mally i went to Parr Cent 1958 to 62 and totally agree with you, on a Friday teachers had a bet that the last one in the Railway pub bought the round, the sex education was excellent, we sprung a few of them together in those years, and i remember a couple of the students getting pregnant "baby sitting" for them, one slime ball teacher i would have put in hospital had i met him after leaving. Teachers i remember--------

Porky Davis ---- (Headmaster), good bloke but mission impossible with feral kids and teachers not much better.

Geff Baron --- (sports) a total waste of space in this area, ruled students by fear, and put them off sport for life

Mrs Jorden ---- tried her best.

Mr & Mrs Walsh ---- inefective .

Mr Jorden ---- idiot went to Wales.

Mr Standish --- art sure he was gay would have been tough for him in those days.

Peg Leg ---- Maths i believe a good teacher

Mr Morgan----- utter rubish. the golosher man.

Mr Lee ---- never did meet him after leaving.

Ms Thompson ----- "WOW" would have given my right arm for it and left to get it back, legs to die for that would occasionally be flashed and at that age a constant souce of my wet dreams, cannot remember what subject she taught but she had my full attention.

A couple of good teachers one i remember in science really inspired and encouraged me in this area, but they did not stay around for long.

Am i Bitter----------you betcha.

I was at Central Modern 1958 - 62 and I remember:

Mr Anders Technical Drawing

Mr Griggs Class teacher in first year probably RE

Mr Tickle Art

Taylor 1 Music

Taylor 2 Geography

Mr Thackery Form teacher second, third and fourth years

Mr Dixon Headteacher

Mr Hill Science

Mr Gullick Woodwork (Saints player)

Mr Brookfield ?

i was there 1948 to 52 and recall the following teachers

ben griffin head

dopey dixon became head when griffin retired

mr sims

mr finch

paddy evans

spam anders

stinky hill

humpy thompson

ricky volkman

mr mooney

mr taylor

jazz taylor

have given nicknames were i recall. when i went it was higher grade but changed its name to central modern during my time their. anyone else remember any i have forgotten

Mr Anders went on to teach Maths at the Tech College. I think "Sid" Griggs also taught history. Taylor 1 was Ralph And Taylor 2 was Peter. I believe Mr Thackery retired after appearing in court. Mr Brookfield also taught art.

Am I the only one on here that went to Parr Cent

They did used to sing "parr central Parr central the school for the mental "

The teachers on the whole were a bunch of bullying bastards that used to walk round the quadrangles smoking and giving us inmates loads of abuse

Iremember Parr Cents dances each week wild and fun i got banned so mates went in and opened a window at the side of the school to let me in

Again another old post but I can remember all my teachers from Sacred Heart from 1965-72,

Infants - Mrs Tibbins, Miss M Gallagher, Miss Taylor, Mrs Towey,

Juniors - Miss A Gallagher, Mrs Rigby, Mrs Woods, Miss Brown

Mr Holland was head and there were other teachers who never taught me - Mrs Redcliffe and Mrs Foy

Well, bridger27, Mrs Rigby was my mother, Mrs Foy was my Auntie (my mother's sister), and Mrs Tibbins (her husband taught at West Park) was my god mother! My Father, Mr Rigby, taught at Windleshaw primary!

I went to Ravenhead from 1953 to 1957

Headmistress was Miss Kirk

Teachers Mrs Case, Miss Irwin, Miss Johnson, Mrs Litherland

Lovely school..Pulled down now Ibelieve

Merton Bank Juniors, mid 70's what a hellhole that was! The headmaster was a Mr. Hall, a right bullying barsteward, he didn't slap children, he battered them! I remember being thrown across the main hall one day, and it wasn't me who'd done anything, it was the lad stood next to me.There was also a Mr. Fitzsimmonds, I realise now I'm older that he was some kind of pervert, he used to get the girls to do handstands against the wall, there was one, who sometimes wore red knickers, rather than the usual childish ones girls of 7 or 8 wore, if she was wearing these, he always challenged her to see how long she could hold a handstand for!

Mr. Hall taught writing too, he hated left-handers and would hit you across the knuckles with the thin edge of a ruler if he caught you using your right hand, it happened to me all the time. He should never have been a teacher, he was just a bully! There was one girl in my class, I can still remember her name, she was so frightened of him that she used to wet herself the moment he entered the classroom.

I saw him in town many years ago with the school band, all the anger came flooding back and I wanted to hurt him, just like he'd hurt me, fortunately, I saw sense and realized what a pathetic little bloke he was.

As a result of his behavior I suffered from anxiety and depression for years, it totally ruined my life and I was unable to speak about what had happened. fortunately about 3 years ago, I saw a counselor and she recognized  I was suffering from PTSD as a result of the abuse I suffered at that school.

I'm much better now, I don't get the flashbacks, or wake up sweating and shouting with the nightmares, but it's too late, I'll never get those years back.

• Dislike (-1) 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Phil,  :welcome: to Connect.

Very interesting posts. Sad to read about your traumatic schooldays, which for you and a lot of us, there have probably been some traumatic events, it's a wonder how we all survived, but I'm glad you are still here to tell the tale. :thankyou:

Edited by Phyll

Went Grange Park 1963/68.

Mr Helsby was the biggest bastard on two legs. Good job I didn't meet him as an adult.

West Park 63 -70

Agree with all comments about Mr Shacklady

Brother Dominic. Taught us Englsh in year 9.

We had to call out our homework marks to be recorded.

One boy called Roger, a shy, nervous lad, called out his number/grade but he hadn't done the work.

Trapped. Our so called Christian Brother sent for the cane.

Roger was beaten in front of the class with merciless brutality. Just downright bestial cruelty.

Certainly set me against corporal punishment in my teaching career .

Mind you I did tickle a few with a metre rule (Excalibur) but we all knew it was in jest.

Mr Biggs for English in year 10. Complete opposite but we messed him about. Whole class hiding in the toilets etc.

Mr Mather. Got one on each hand for forgetting my blotting paper in year 7. Didn't forget it again.

Gerry Platt didn't use the cane but picked you up by the short hairs above your ears and then sat you down.

Fierce Irish Christian Brother who taught History. Can't remember his name. Always caning boys in the corridors. Frightened me witless.

But I got a grade 1 in History GCE!

PE staff all taught Geography as their second subject. All sadists. Dropped Geography asap.

Mr Boardman, Mr McLaughlin decent chaps.

Feehan. Better stop now before it becomes libellous. 

As has been said, hated the first few years but really enjoyed the sixth form.

Billy Barton - a breath of fresh air after Shscklady. Inspired me to become a Chemistry teacher.

On 02/12/2017 at 11:25, kevin said:

Went Grange Park 1963/68.

Mr Helsby was the biggest bastard on two legs. Good job I didn't meet him as an adult.

You are correct there, and Steve Llewellyn was not much better when he hit boys on their bare arses with a plimsol for doing next to nothing.

If I had met him in later years  he would have walked away  and been embarrassed at what i would have said to him about what used to do.

It's funny I can remember quite a few of the teachers from my days at senior school, however, there is only one whom I think about every year, her name was Mrs Reade, and she taught French. I was very good at it and so was a girl in my class, in fact over the whole number of classes in each year, it was either me that came first in the exams, and she came second, or vice versa, we were both invited to take part in a new program being trialled by a university, aimed at finding the best student in the UK for various subjects.We were both entered into the category of the French language, in the first year I was top in the UK and she was second, in the second year she came top and me second.

However it was not for this that I remember Mrs Reade, you see one day in early December, just for fun as a change from French, she taught us "silent night" in German! Every time I hear it now, on the radio or wherever, in my head, I hear it in German, I remember one day being in a world of my own walking around the supermarket, it was Christmas time and they were playing carols over the sound system. It was fine until they played "silent night", you don't half get some funny looks walking the aisles singing it in German. lol

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, philthespark said:

just for fun as a change from French, she taught us "silent night" in German!

We were taught that too at Mount Carmel, I still remember all the words! :ohyeah:

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:59, HORT said:

You are correct there, and Steve Llewellyn was not much better when he hit boys on their bare arses with a plimsol for doing next to nothing.

If I had met him in later years  he would have walked away  and been embarrassed at what i would have said to him about what used to do.

This post really surprises me, when I was there he was nothing but a gentleman.

Did you have him as a teacher for PE and Games?