Sign in to follow this  
gilly

Your teachers,can you name 'em?Are they still with us?

My 1st school was st Joeys in Fingerpost,i can remember the head was sister Mary Joseph and 1 teacher was an old girl Mrs Picavance/Pilkington?,lovely woman must be long gone?Left there in 1966 went to Holy Cross,My teachers there were Mrs Atherton/Beasley and Cunliffe.Other teachers there were Mrs Green/Whittle/Picavance/Harrison(Pilkington?)then I went to West Park and had loads of teachers.In no particular order and not in preference ,here's who i remember?I would be grateful though if anyone can furnish any ihfo on the earlier ones,ie; still alive etc.West Park 69/74

Billy Bold/Basil Shacklady/Willie Finan/Billy Bolger/Joe Mckewan/Ken NorthyBLASCO!!! Harry rogers/Rowina Price/mrs Gibbons/can;t recall a lot of them and don't really want to recall the brothersI do have fond memories of a few teachers including Joe Coan.I also have several fond memories of the Notre Dame girls from that time,but can't recall many names either LOL

I went to Cowley Girls in the 1970's, teachers included Mr Bean, Miss Bannister, Mrs Hyde, Mr Gallagher to name but a few, but my favourite was the German teacher, Mr Bent - he was gorgeous, huge sideburns and he permanently smelled of Brut!

I went to Grange Park, 1960 to 1965 and I remember, Mr Bully, Mr Bastard, Mr Pervert, and Rock Hudson. None of which i would like to meet again even if ever end up in heaven. It wouldn't be heaven ito me if they were there. Their real names are disguised for legal reasons.

On a more positive note, Mr King (Art) Mr Dixon (Woodword) and Pop Stringer (Maths) were brilliant. Mr Heseltine(German) was OK but could not control the class and some of us took advantage.

Hiram Holiday (Geography) was OK as was Mr Crawford(History). Mrs Melia was attractive and the woman who taught domestic science was very sexy (Can't remember her name - she never taught me).

Mr Thompson was brill in Metalwork, and Mrs Stankiewich, who was Polish, was quite good at English History, but was unable the pronounce the "TH" sound properly. So when we were taught about King Richard the third, her vocalisation was Richard the Turd.

Gilly, I was one of the Notre Dame (convent not senior school) girls in the 1950/60 era. My favourite teacher ever was Miss Shacklady, who basely betrayed us by getting married at some point, maybe around 1960, and changing her name. Sister Mary was the headmistress and I adored her too. There were a few others, good and bad, but my memory is going :) and I can't remember them. You mentioned a Shacklady, ?

Lowehouse 1950/1956 Daddy almond who married Miss flood Joe mather, Mc Nullty, Griffiths, Wilson,and a young teacher the name i can not remember but he lived in Crab St

Started Rivvy Infants/Juniors in 1956 - Headmistress was Miss Staveley (also a magistrate on Juvenile Bench).

Infant Teachers - Mrs Hunter / Miss Goodwin / Miss/Mrs Mills

Junior Teachers - Mrs Tunstall / Miss Free / Mr Ensor / Mr Owen - left in1962 to go to a school in Derbyshire Hill

- also at the school but didn't teach me - Mrs Turner / Mr Metcalf / Mrs Owen (wife of Mr Owen)

Cowley Girls 1962 - 67 - Headmistress was Miss Jackson / Head of Lower School was Miss (Winifred) Pearson

Tutor Yr 1 - Mrs Hazel; Tutor Yr 2 - forgotten; Tutor Yr 3 - can see face, can't remember name; Tutor Yrs 4&5 - Mr Brader

Other teachers -

English - Miss Jones; Mrs King; Miss Pearson

Maths - Miss Dorothy Jones; Mrs Cowley; plus the one who was Class Tutor in Yr 3

French - Miss Johnson (Mam'selle)

Biology - Miss Chesworth

RE - Miss Pearson; Mrs King

Art - Mrs King

Geography - Mrs Bellis

Music - Miss Parry

Latin - Miss Jackson (Head);

Chemistry - Mrs Hazel

History - can see face etc (she used to close her eyes when looking at us)

Physics - can't remember face or name - obviously I didn't enjoy Physics!

PE - Miss Green; Miss Savage (played in Welsh Hockey Team)

Sex Education - Miss Pearson

there were other teachers around the school (Miss 'German' Jones; Miss Polly Playfoot etc) that I never had for classes. Class Tutor in 4&5 (Mr Brader) taught German, but I didn't take that.

Edited by Olliebeak

was at Rivington Rd 1945 - 48 - Miss Stavely, Mrs Hunter, Miss Dance, Miss Goodwin

then Knowsley Rd 1948 - 1951 - Mr Welsby, Mrs Billington, Mrs Wallace, Miss Foggo

Never went to school in junior department but there was a Mss Smith teaching there. I came back to St Helens in 1977 - my uncle took us to the school for the Christmas party and who should be there nearly 30years later but Miss Smith - hope she isn't still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowley Girls' after that - similar to what you have said Olliebeak - there as a Mss Wilkinson but can't remember what she took but do remember going to her wedding.

Miss Fazackerly took music.

Mssrs.

Noble (HT) Billington, Evans, Dean, Gillgannon,Roberts, Reid,Dale, Birch, Swift, Pinder, Clayton,Eccles.

Over to you Mal

• Like (+1) 1

Sex Education - Miss Pearson

there were other teachers around the school (Miss 'German' Jones; Miss Polly Playfoot etc) that I never had for classes. Class Tutor in 4&5 (Mr Brader) taught German, but I didn't take that.

Ah yes, took Sex Education but didn't take German. Classic case of dodgy priorities there. noway.gif

The two sons of Mrs Stankiewicz, who taught at Grange Park, were in my class at West Park, and caused us no end of amusement, not least because they were identical twins, and few teachers could tell them apart.

I know Billy Bold is no longer with us, but unsure about anybody else mentioned.

Some West Park teachers I recall during my time there (1963-1969):

Mrs Lofthouse (Maggie) and Mrs O'Reilly (Ma). Initially the only two female teachers, English and French. Always wore academic gowns.

Basil Shacklady, Chemistry. Remember him wearing a gown at the old school. Drove a Mk 2 Jaguar.

Mr O'Reilly (Pa), husband of Ma. Further Mathematics in sixth form. Died in about 1968.

Jack Tibbins, Mathematics. Lived in Sutton, famous for having a dog with three legs and a wheel. Also sadly died in about 1967 or 1968.

Gerry Platt, Physics.

Mr O'Brien, French. Known as Bout de Chien (Dog End) on account of his prodigious tobacco habit.

Len Whittome, German. I related the incident of his sending me to an address in Millbrook Lane, to deliver a message in Russian, in a thread entitled Cold War at West Park, which I've just bumped. It's in this sub-forum.

Jack Bradshaw, also German. Had a permanent five-o'clock shadow.

Games: Joe Coan, Sid Hazel, Brother Alban, Buck Jones.

The Head was Brother Augustine (aka Fat Jack or simply F) in the old school, and Brother Leonard from 1965 in the new school. He became a priest, then died very young.

lol Griff :roflmao: - Sex Education was compulsory at Cowley Girls! What was strange was that the teacher was unmarried and took both RE and Sex Ed :no:.

I wanted to take German from 4th Year on, but also wanted to drop Latin in favour Music. Because I insisted on dropping Latin, I wasn't allowed to take German. You had to do both or neither in those days!!!!!

HI ALL CAN REMEMBER SOME BUT NOT ALL OF THEM.

York Street Infants

Headmistress Mrs Anderton

Teacher Mrs Wolfe.

St Thomas Peter Street

Headmaster Mr Welsby

Knowsley Road

Mr Lilly Headmaster

Mrs Heaton

Mrs Wallace

Mr Gaskel

Mr Greenhalgh

Central Modern

Miss Mckay Headmistress

Miss Morrel Deputy Head and Geography

Miss Cathcart History

Mrs Johnson Needlework

Mrs Fairclough Art

Mrs Moses Geography

Miss/Mrs Pritchard

Two cookery teachers

can't remember their names.

Miss Halliwell Music

Mrs Moorhouse Maths

Mrs Harrison Swimming P.E. Games

Mrs Jones Biology

WHEN THE SCHOOLS MERGED

ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS

Mr Smart Headmaster

Mr Watts boys deputy

Mr Taylor French

Mr Griggs Maths

That is all I can remember for now lol

Gilly my husband also went to West Park, he too does not have fond memories of the Brothers, hated them in fact.

He would have been there from 63-68. I think.

Edited by SWIMMER

Gerard Infants School, Cowley St 1951-1953

Miss Corsey

Miss Whittaker

Miss Burrows

Miss Hartley

Noble (HT) Billington, Evans, Dean, Gillgannon,Roberts, Reid,Dale, Birch, Swift, Pinder, Clayton,Eccles.

Over to you Mal

Johnson, Shankland, Burns, (Groome the Bastard) and there was that Polish geezer Les, can't think of his name he was a very big guy, will keep trying to remember some more. Oh and the very Loose Mrs Welsby,!!!!!

Edited by Thumpa lumpa

Adding. Breeze (art)

Don't know what you are on about with mrs W ;)

From Portico Lane Infants---- Miss Cross a right bully.

Dean,

I recall John Dean teaching at Eccleston Lane Ends when I was there c 1955. In my class was a boy who eventually became Head at Rainhill High and thus Dean's boss !

John

St.Patricks 1951-1963.

Sister Marcella,Head.

Miss Hankinson.

Miss Jordan.

Miss Hackett.

Miss Gallagher.

Miss Taylor.

Miss Faulkner.

Ah yes, took Sex Education but didn't take German. Classic case of dodgy priorities there. noway.gif

The two sons of Mrs Stankiewicz, who taught at Grange Park, were in my class at West Park, and caused us no end of amusement, not least because they were identical twins, and few teachers could tell them apart.

I know Billy Bold is no longer with us, but unsure about anybody else mentioned.

Some West Park teachers I recall during my time there (1963-1969):

Mrs Lofthouse (Maggie) and Mrs O'Reilly (Ma). Initially the only two female teachers, English and French. Always wore academic gowns.

Basil Shacklady, Chemistry. Remember him wearing a gown at the old school. Drove a Mk 2 Jaguar.

Mr O'Reilly (Pa), husband of Ma. Further Mathematics in sixth form. Died in about 1968.

Jack Tibbins, Mathematics. Lived in Sutton, famous for having a dog with three legs and a wheel. Also sadly died in about 1967 or 1968.

Gerry Platt, Physics.

Mr O'Brien, French. Known as Bout de Chien (Dog End) on account of his prodigious tobacco habit.

Len Whittome, German. I related the incident of his sending me to an address in Millbrook Lane, to deliver a message in Russian, in a thread entitled Cold War at West Park, which I've just bumped. It's in this sub-forum.

Jack Bradshaw, also German. Had a permanent five-o'clock shadow.

Games: Joe Coan, Sid Hazel, Brother Alban, Buck Jones.

The Head was Brother Augustine (aka Fat Jack or simply F) in the old school, and Brother Leonard from 1965 in the new school. He became a priest, then died very young.

was saints coach at the time as well, i remember them all with much less than fondness we used to call the head friar f*** a play on words of the robin hood character, you must have been 2 years above me griff, i left in 1970, to live the life of a gigolo..and a teenage dad!

Edited by Handsome Johnny

I was at west park 62-69. I remember all the above teachers but you forgot Mr Mather the music teacher - we called him 'grit' because of his particularly dark 5 o'clock shadow. Do you remember music lessons in winter in the (unheated) shed at old west park - froze yer nuts off!

Swimmer - was there a Miss Wilton at York St when you were there, think she took top class?

I've been trying to rack by brains for her name, I'm sure it was Wilton.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, I forgot Paul Mather. He also took us for games. The music room in the old school, if I remember correctly, was part of the wooden building which also housed the school chapel. I recall singing the Latin mass in there. In the new school, I only took music as part of General Studies, but they had quite a nice stereo system in the lecture theatre. Paul Mather used to play some classical records for us, which he got from the Gramophone Library in the Gamble Institute. If you ever went in, you may remember the old wind-up gramophone with a big horn. Wonder what happened to that?

HJ, I know Joe Coan was Saints coach, but I prefer to overlook that particular flaw in his character. Oddly, he wasn't a Catholic. Can't have been many Protestant teachers there.

Ha ha my husband has fond memories of Joe Coan, as he played rugby for West Park, He once told me about a rugby match between the staff and the boys, and he hit Joe Coan. The next time he got the ball, all he said he saw was a large fist and stars lol.

Warringtonsaint. Sorry they are the only names I can remember, and I am mildly surprised that I remember those lol, although I have to say that when you said Wilton, the name rang a bell, so to speak lol. Hopefully someone will remember and put us straight.

Edited by SWIMMER

I don't know if Joe Coan made a habit of decking schoolboys, but I heard that same story from a West Park old boy I used to work with at the Gas Board. He lived in Blackbrook.

Hi Griffin that was my probably my husband. He said is your name Paul.

I went to West Park also and one of the older teachers missing is Charlie Mc Laughlin. One in particular who seemed to be in total control without ever having to raise his voice was Eddie Thornitt (Maths)

Griffin, Brother Leonard was turned 60 when he died so I would not class that as very young.