Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kettlaness

Interesting old photos

The following pictures are of Joseph Heaton (1873-1949).

Joseph was in St Helen's Police, when it was combined with the Fire Service based in part of the St Helen's Town Hall buildings. The first picture dates (I'm guessing) from between 1885-1895 - Joseph looks quite young.

The 2nd picture (shame about the quality) was taken in 1909 and is of a group of Mounted Police at the back of St Helen's Town Hall.

Some of the older forum members might just remember Joseph - He latterly became Night Watchman on the gates at British Sidac.

th_Joseph_Heaton2.jpg th_St_Helens_Police_1909.jpg

A picture of Joseph Heaton in later life; also pictured is his wife ( Annie {Abbott} 1874-1955) and one of his daughters.

th_Where_is_it.jpg

Behind them is a very large building - but where is it ?

A few of my relations worked for British Sidac.

They were :

Harry Heaton (1904-1967) - he was the Buyer at British Sidac; he also owned the Kit Kat cafe in St Helen's town centre. His sister May was Manageress of the Kit Kat Cafe.

Harry's brothers also worked at British Sidac; Eric Heaton (1914-1958) worked on the factory side and John Heaton (1919-1996) worked in the Pay Office - someone must remember him !

th_British_Sidac_Social.jpg

The photo (I believe) is of a British Sidac party - sadly, I don't know where or when . . . . . . . anyone there who may be identified by forum members ?

Everyone loves a wedding !

These photos relate to the wedding of Joseph Heaton's daughter Minnie Heaton (1910-1992) to George Norman Thackray - June 10th 1937.

Pic 1 - Joseph & daughter Minnie Heaton about to enter church - I don't know which church.

th_Pic1Joseph_daughter_Minnie_Heaton.jpg

Pic 2 - Minnie (Heaton) & Norman Thackray Wedding Group.

th_Pic2June10th1937.jpg

Pic 3 - Right to left, Eric Heaton,his sisters - Lilla, Minnie & the groom, "Norman" Thackray.

th_Pic3June10th1937.jpg

Pic 4 - After Wedding Group - June10th1937

th_Pic4June10th1937.jpg

Again, anyone see someone that they recognise ?

Great pics,just love the fashion.I think the church could well be Parr St.Peters.

Wow, Great Photos. I too love the fashions and being able to have a glimpse into their lives.

You are fortunate to have them. Thanks so much for sharing them with all of us. signthankspin.gif

do you know if he was a Police/Fireman? as the fire brigade historian is looking for name of old St.Helens firemen.

Guest eddieguff

The church is St Nics in Sutton. I have compared some recent photo's I have, and the arched doorway, windows and stonework match up.

Yes, I think you're right Eddie, they do look the same.

th_StNicholasNewSt.jpg

But what about this building? Looks bigger, where is it?

th_Where_is_it.jpg

That also looks like St Nicks Phyll.

Guest eddieguff

It might have been the old Sidac works on Lancotts Lane, the big building Phyll; that same sort of wall is still there.

Yes, Eddie, that's what I was thinking too, seeing as there is a connection to British Sidac in the thread.

Can't find any old photos of the actual building though.

Guest eddieguff

No, nor me Phyll, but I recall a building thaty looked just like it being boarded up for years, and the wall is still there. Might take a stroll down there tomorrow.

do you know if he was a Police/Fireman? as the fire brigade historian is looking for name of old St.Helens firemen.

Hi there,

I'm almost certain, that he was a Policeman.

It might have been the old Sidac works on Lancotts Lane, the big building Phyll; that same sort of wall is still there.

Thank's for the reply, Eddie.

I think that it probably is the old Sidac works - although, it must be said, I've never been there.

My reason for thinking that you are right, is because I know that the family lived 'onsite' in a factory-owned house; the photo may well have been taken in the backgarden of that property ?

Minnie Heaton married George Thackray at St Nicolas church in 1937.

Source Lancashire B M D

Oh Well Done Morgan, that's the Church confirmed then, never thought to find it through BMD. doh.gif

Now I'm just waiting for Eddie, or someone to confirm that the other one is the Sidac Building, a piccie would be nice.ohyeah.gif

Guest eddieguff

Been for a stroll down Lancotts Lane earlier, and the old works as I knew was long gone. However, some clues seem to still be on the other side of the road, where the photo was taken. The end of the wall on that side has bricked up doors and windows (the factory owned house per chance?), and look at the wall I have taken a few pics of. There are a few walls in Sutton made out of that material, copper slag I think.

That's very interesting Eddie. Certainly looks like the same place. Thanks.

Guest eddieguff

Cheers Phyll. I ought to stress these were taken from THIS side of the wall (the road divided the Sidac works-that big building was on the other side, long gone, and where I had my back to today), and not the one the pic of them in the garden, with the chair was on; they'd have been behind the wall when it was taken.

Thanks Eddie, Going back to St. Nic's, I never knew they built an extension.

"On September 15th 1990, Ven. G. Spiers, Archdeacon of Liverpool, inaugurated the building of an extension of St. Nicholas that would create a vestry, meeting room and toilets. The church had experienced much controversy at various times during the 20th century. One wouldn't have thought that a relatively small-scale building extension would add to it, but it did! St.Nicholas became in dispute with St.Helens Council over the design and type of materials that were to be used, a disagreement that lasted five years. As the building is Grade II listed, the authority insisted on the extension being in sandstone to match the character of the rest of the church. However this meant that the total bill for the work would be a whopping £133,000"

To read more, plus photos, click on link and scroll down.

Quite near St. Nicholas Church is Eaves Lane. I've known it for years, and it was a useful short cut when I worked in the area. Since joining this site, I discovered that, on old maps, it was called Thieves Lane.

Guest eddieguff

Here are a few recent pics of St Nics Phyll, from the end of the church where the extension is. Was at a funeral at this church on Friday morning, and never having been inside before, hadn't realised how small it was, say in comparison to St Peter's in Parr. Lovely building though.

Thanks Eddie, Great pics, yes it's a lovely old church, looks like it should be on a movie set with the Gravestones.

Hi - certainly know Harry, Jack and Eric Heaton (Eric was my father) along with Elizabeth, May and Chris. I spent many a happy Sunday at their house on Lancots Lane - my Auntie Bet (as I knew her) made the best meat and potato pie I've ever had !

It was lovely to see the photo of my grandfather - unfortunately he and my grandmother died before I was born so I never got to meet them, and I do not remember every seeing a photograph of them. It was also wonderful to see the photo of my Dad (Eric) at my Auntie Min's wedding - I didn't have the pleasure of growing up with him (he died when I was 3 months old) so anything that is a link to him is a fantastic treat.

Many thanks for posting them - it made my day..