Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kettlaness

Masonic Bowling Club Photos

Hi All

I've a number of scans of Masonic Bowling Club photos, dating between about 1915 and 1932. (I've given the original photos to The Lodge of St Helens).

My Great Grandfather was in the Lodge of Loyalty 897 and Lodge of Integrity 4151, but the photos show at least 25 -40 members, so I guess that other Lodges must have been involved.

If anyone would like to see if any of their relations are present on the photos, I'd be pleased to send them an email containing all the pics.

My Great Grandfather was a Founder Member of The Lodge of Integrity and also a 'Worshipful Master' at some stage - I have the 'medals' to show this. For many years, I assumed that the medals were some kind of brass, but it turns out that they are gold. noway.gif

Hi Kettlaness,

you can post the pictures on here, it's quite easy to do,in fact there are instructions somwhere, PM me and I will go through it with you.

Hi Kettlaness please try to put the pics on here I am very interested to see if I know anyone.

Where did they actually bowl in St. Helens?

I'll put the photos up, probably on Friday night. The downside, is that they are all quite large images; the flipside, is that they are all really excellent photos. It would be great, if someone could spot someone that they know. Mind you, the youngest of the images, dates from about 1932.

Most of the pics are dated and some give locations - but not specific details. They have titles such as : 'Bowling Picnic' - Rainhill.

If I need help uploading the images, I'll certainly ask for it.

I've had such an unexpectedly brilliant response to my queries, that I'd really like to post some images which might be of interest to other members- thank you, one and all !

Kettlaness,

Most of the bowling in Rainhill took place at The Coach & Horses,not the pub as it is now the original pub, or The Cricket Club, apparently my Great Grandad was an excellent player he played for Rainhill and won many trophies, so he could be on some of those pictures.

I had a stressful moment last night, when I realised that the computer hard drive on which my images were kept, expired last year.

After searching around, I found a USB stick which contained all the photos - result !

When I find out how to do so, I'll put the images up on this forum.

I was told that the oldest photo (which has no date), might be of somewhere in Rainhill.

th_Bowling_Group_old_undated.jpg

th_Bowling_Group_1925.jpg

Bowling Group 1925

th_Bowling_Group_1930.jpg

Bowling Group 1930

th_Bowling_Group_1931.jpg

Bowling Group 1931

th_Bowling_Group_1932.jpg

Bowling Group 1932

The non-bowling images are of my Great-Grandfather (John Willis); he was a member of The Lodge of Loyalty 897 and a founder member of The Lodge of Loyalty 4151. I've also included images of his Worshipful Master medal and his Founder's medal.

th_JWillis.jpg th_jwillis4151.jpg th_medal2.jpg th_medal1.jpg th_Founders_Medal.jpg

Finally, an image to show the marriage of John Willis and Maude Tatlock in 1935 and an image of St Helen's Show Judges in 1911 - but where was it taken ?

th_img002.jpg th_img003.jpg

I'm certain that members of St Helen's Lodge of Loyalty & Lodge of Integrity will be on these pics - and most likely, other lodges, too !. It would be great if someone could recognise a person that they could positively identify.

Great pictures Kettlaness, thanks. The last picture looks as though it was on the town hall steps.

Hi Kettlaness,

I'm positive the third picture down, was taken at The Dog & Gun at Aughton, one of my friends runs it now I will ask him to confirm it but I'm sure that's the location.

Great pics Kettlaness,the wedding photogragh is just shouting out the fashion of that era,thanks for posting them.

Not sure about the Rainhill one it could be The Coach & Horses or even The Black Horse, given that both of the greens were to the right hand side of the pubs,looking from the rear. Another thought they may of had a bowling Green at Rainhill Hospital, the Chimney to the left of the picture looks like it was for Industrial use.

Great Historic pictures thanks for posting them.

Hi Kettlaness. Great Photos. Thanks for sharing them. They all look so happy, especially the first one.

Amazing, how they are all dressed up, even for a Picnic. How times have changed.

Just a quick question. Wasn't Maud Tatlock married to Charles Willis? (I put some more info. in your other thread.)