Sign in to follow this  
Le200

Can You Identify A Location?

It has to be a main road because of the street lights, were, I do not know?

Photoshop has no effect as too much info is lost, but I'd guess the street sign says Pocket Nook.

Could also say Fishmongers.. I know things were different back then, but selling fish and fruit together?

Edited by Pete

Smith's in Cambridge was a fruit&veg shop that always sold 'wet fish', Pete - it was one of the shops that I hated being sent to cos of the sight of the fish on display yucky.gif.

Going back to the very first post in this thread -

When you click on the link that Le200 posted, there's a picture of Private Joseph Harold Lee with his details.

Is there a connection between the pics and the link?

Am I right in thinking that he is the same person who is seen in the front of the picture about to sign a piece of paper - cos I think it looks like him?

The address on the information 'rang a bell', so I went for a nosey on my family tree. My grandmother and her family lived next-door but one to Joseph Harold Lee and his family at 78 Harris Street :D.

Edited by Olliebeak

What about Rutland Street/City Road/North Road with St Marks just out of sight but you can see the house next to it,chimney stack in the right place? Top gates of Vicky Park.

Ste

Edited by slmgc

My landlord said this:

"An interesting photo. Very probably ‘The St Helens Pioneers’ 11th Battalion The South Lancashire Regiment. This was part of the Territorial Force (latterly the TA) the ‘T’ above the shoulder title can be seen on the Corporal. It looks like they are writing postcards home. Why are they at this location ? It might be a Public House but I do not know where it is. Their Drill Hall was off North Road near a large domed church, Mill Street ? Please keep me informed about this, its a good photo."

Bob

We need Antonio with his Grandmas magnifier

Had a go with the magnifier but unfortunately my colour vision doesn't help. Just looks blurred. I don't think its Fish & Chips though, to me looks more Like Fish and Frodsham or Fisher and ******

I also think the sign is too big and high for a church, more like barracks to me.

I've changed my mind and I think it looks like Fishwicks on the sign..

Fisher & Co.?

I'm back to Fish & Chips laugh.png

Link no longer available

• Like (+1) 1

I've changed my mind and don't think Rutland Street. Question though, what are they signing/filling in as they are in full uniform, so not attesting ?

I have just spotted some more writing not mentioned..

Ok, look at the tall fella you can see next to schoolboy in cap, over his right shoulder is spiked iron railing, just above his left shoulder epaulette I can see it says "BACK" followed by maybe entrance or gate or Wall.

My Photoshop skills are now at an all time low, I hope someone susses it out, its frustrating.

Edited by Pete

It may say Barrack Pete which would tie in.

Flipping heck, Pete - I was going cross-eyed with trying to spot that then wacko.png . You using a magnifying glass or summat :bigwink:.

What are us lot like - flipping Bank Holiday Monday and we're squinting ourselves silly trying to read information on a photo that's over 100yrs old :roflmao:.

I know Ollie, we must be barking.. No I just used my reading glasses.

Le, that makes sense, so hopefully narrow it down a bit. maybe the back of the Mill St Barracks..

So I reckon its old maps at the ready, I have never Google earthed at the back of the barracks, I'll have a quick nosey.

Could it possibly be the 'old' Prescot Pals Barracks - the road along the side of that is Albany Road?

There's a chinese restaurant/chippy on the corner now - but it looks as though the roof has been altered at some time in the past. But it does have a 'cut-off corner' that would match the corner of the shop in the photograph.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.429024,-2.797862,3a,90y,315.23h,90.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sppvYoAmW0fun-G--EoRiqw!2e0

Edited by Olliebeak

Bloody hell right next to tinlings

There looks like another street sign on the angled bit of the shop front, as it isnt on the straight bit could be something square or place. looks to me like Albany Rd orignally went straight on and if this is there could be where the grass plantation is now.

Tony, do you mean in-between the two upstairs windows?

That could even be a pub called the Fishermans arms.. Dunno, just clutching at straws.

Yes I do Pete and it looks like a road sign not a building name. The reason I dont think its Fish and Chips is the last third of the sign you cant see so it has to be something longer.

I'm backwards and forwards on it all, inotherwords I'm flummoxed. I do hope someone can solve this, but I doubt it being me, methinx this pic should be posted outside Connect in the hope of an answer. There is photoshop but if there is no digital info then we are knackered, Maybe politely ask some very elderly couple around town to ID a printout..

LE have you tried all your other contacts throughout your WW1 realms?

Edited by Pete

You're all here Pete.

I still think it's Prescot Road - you can make out from the photo that it's on a hill.

The chippy could easily be this building which was still a chippy into the 1980s.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.450106,-2.748641,3a,75y,1.58h,72.32t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDwvfLR3XJvXCgtWDdcH0rw!2e0?hl=en

The 45 deg bit on the front isn't big enough, on the photo it has a door and window in it.

That means Carlton st would go spread into a left and a right and carry on in a third direction.. not done!!.. I can't help but agree with Tony, that slice off the front is just not wide enough.. I would be shocked if that's the place..

I also think it was called Croppers Hill for a long while after the war.

What about Wynne Road from the back of the old Cowley Girls school, looking up to Cowley Hill Lane. The house on the end looks familiar, I can't do the Google Earth link but you can get to it

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.450106,-2.748641,3a,75y,1.58h,72.32t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDwvfLR3XJvXCgtWDdcH0rw!2e0?hl=en

Edited by slmgc