Sign in to follow this  
jeb

mayors to be or not to be

certain towns are now going to vote on whether to have an elected mayor.Do we still need a mayor in this day and a

hello jeb,ive aired my veiws on various sites on this subject,

the office of Mayor imho should have been ousted along with the town cryer,

to me they dont serve any usefull purpose,they just ride around in a limo

that does about sixteen miles to the gallon,the driver has to be paid

i wouldnt like to guess how much but he works unsociable hours so it must be a few bob.

i understand there is allowances for this and that,the lady of the species

gets hair dressers perks,clothing,ok they push a few charities ,open a road now and then

and maybe a shop here and there,but sorry your worship I'm in the out with the Mayor brigade,

you dont mind if i slip a gag in do you jeb,

The mayor was visiting an old folks care home,he went to one old chap and shook his hand

and said do you know who i am, The old boy replied ,No but if you ask matron she will tell you

• Like (+1) 1

I know a Mayor who does'nt wear a chain.

They just let him run around loose!

• Like (+1) 1

you never see it published what this overated office costs

a few years ago now the Mayor of the day was seen going to

sign on in the limo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and some of the so called speaches they make at functions,, i

well youve heard them,i heard it said on average some mayors

put on a stone during their term of office,,,,,,,,,,,,,

We have one in Tor-bay £60 grand + exes after 1 year the council tried to get rid of the post but the government wont play for at least 3 more years due to legislation

If St Helens were to have an elected Mayor on a decent salary, there's only one contender likely to be elected and for the life of me I've no idea why people keep voting her into office

I am not so sure Alan. At the moment she gets elected into power by the labour group on the council but as I understand it anyone can stand as mayor and get directly elected by the people.

Just get rid of the Mayor i say,please lets not vote we might end up with cunningham.

i agree ALAN ,she must have the worlds largest scrapbook,every where you look she is there

I know I am a bit late on this But to be fair The Mayor dose about 500 plus engagements a year that is a hell of a lot of work even if they are in a limo

Work my Arse .free this .free that .cut abit of ribbon now and then.

shake hands with a few pensioners then scoff the food that they

should have had .we need a Mayor like a boil on the ,( to end like i started ) Arse,

Work my Arse .free this .free that .cut abit of ribbon now and then.

shake hands with a few pensioners then scoff the food that they

should have had .we need a Mayor like a boil on the ,( to end like i started ) Arse,

Lol :)

I know a Mayor who does'nt wear a chain.

They just let him run around loose!

lol Edited by Robbob

are any of these 500 engagements really needed ? any place i have been they were always glad to see the mayor go

Quite a few years ago the Mayor at the time went

to collect his dole check,trouble was he was driven there in the Limo

Well I had a cousin who was mayoress I have worked with one of the mayors and I have a friend who was mayor And I can tell you it is hard work I got one of the mayors to come to our school one Christmas the kids had a great time with him they just loved him and the mayoress they ware all over him and everybody enjoyed themselfs Yes you do get some assholes in the job But you also get some great people who really do some good for the town and its people Which you dont always hear about or see ,

Edited by antony

There are two different things here. The current mayor role in St Helens is ceremonial and he/she gets to go around opening schools, cutting ribbons etc and supporting charitable causes and getting their picture doing so alongside smilng children etc. in the Star/Reporter on a weekly basis. As for power in terms of running the Council; absolute zilch.

Electing a mayor would be a totally different thing. He/she would then be in charge of the Council and would appoint cabinet members and have a level of personal responsibility for how the Council performs far more focused on themselves than the current leader of the Council does. Whether I think that would be a better or worse thing than now; I'm not being drawn on. I'm a newbie on here and don't fancy being binfested in only my 4th post!

Edited by Screaming J

Ive never seen a statement anywhere saying

what the cost is of this fairy tale post is,Limo,

expences ,meals,functions,when a female is involved

i understand they get clothing and hair dresser ex.s.

when they go cutting ribbons, and pretending to be interested

in the aged they get paid,maybe someone who is involved will

correct me if I'm wrong,

Quite a few years ago the Mayor at the time went

to collect his dole check,trouble was he was driven there in the Limo

How long ago was that Skyman?

I can only remember Dole being sent out by post.

I can only remember Dole being sent out by post.

Perhaps he is mistaking it with 'signing on'

thats it les .signing on near the old Pimblets place.

One of the mayor's duties is to chair Council meetings in which they have the casting vote in tied decisions.

The Mayor is sort of elected at the moment - by the other Councillors, and we elect the Councillors. To be Mayor you have to be a serving Councillor. Usually the other Councillors will vote (cross party) for someone who has given many years service, and rarely they will vote for the same Councillor again. Tom Hargreaves for example has been a ward councillor for almost 30 years. Jimmy Caunce in Haydock was Mayor more than once but served that area for over 50 YEARS! without a break as the Councillor. (hence the MBE being awarded).

The difference being proposed now is a directly voted Mayor which I would support.