Sign in to follow this  
Clancy

TV series from years ago.

Thanks Parrdog, I’d forgotten about Torchy I always watched it as a kid, I see what you mean about it being a bit scary, the faces of the puppets remind me of old black and white American horror films about aliens.

• Like (+1) 1

Who remembers Paulus The Woodgnome? :)

Certainly do Le200,but can you remember the theme tune.

I do but here it is :)

I think all the writers in those days were tripping.

Mid 60s I think PD but it was old then.

For me it was also about the prizes and the families/contestants they used to get on the quiz shows.Fashion sense followed as well.Shirts,socks, ties,haircuts,trousers-Then its the women.Hairstyles, dresses,they were nearly always "housewifes"They reminded me of the series Stepford Wives.All imaculately turned out.

Anybody remember Raymond Francis in No Hiding Place - Police series of the 1950's?

• Like (+1) 1

As a child, 'No Hiding Place' was one of my favourite TV programmes, wanderer yes.gif.

Remember his sidekicks - first one played by Eric Lander and the second one played Johnny Briggs (aka Mike Baldwin)? Apparently there were two others - played by Michael McStay and Sean Caffrey - but, for some strange reason, I don't remember them dunno.gif.

Edited by Olliebeak

Raymond Francis was also in Murder Bag another one of my favourites along with Highway Patrol M Squad The Baron and Ghost Squad,come to think of it, what a great selection we had back then.

• Like (+1) 1

Beverly Hillbillies, "come listen to a story about a man named Ged, a poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed" loved that programme

• Like (+1) 1

One of the freeview channels are running episodes of the avengers with Diana rig.

do any of you out there remember a show on a Saturday night1949/50si itwas on about 9 o clock it was in broken French with about four or five different acts in it

Hi Jeb, Was it "Café Continental"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_Continental

This video says it was Australian and the 60s, which could be an error, as the Wiki article says this.

"Café Continental is a British television variety show on the BBC Television Service from 1947 to 1953."

Just to add, I have been watching old "I Love Lucy" and "The Lucy Show" shows on TV and You Tube.

Edited by Phyll

We didn't get our first TV until 1956/57 (when ITV first started) so I don't remember that programme.

I DO remember at least one act - possibly French - that consisted of two dancers, one male and one female. The dance, set in what looked like a small apartment room, was always an argument between them and he used to throw her around the stage like a rag-doll .. sometimes quite violently eek_yello.gif. Not sure if it was originally taken from a musical show - but, thinking back, it DID seem to be part of a much bigger 'story line'.

They appeared on London Palladium quite a few times and possibly on the Royal Variety Show ..

Oh well IF you'd have looked properly in the first place, you'd have found it Ollie doh.gif.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_%28dance%29

Strangely enough, there's an 'I love Lucy' episode from 1951 (Adagio Sr1 Episode 11), where she wants to learn how to dance this routine :rolleyes:.

Edited by Olliebeak
  • Like (+1) 1

RE: Adagio dance: It is defined by the kind of interatctions described above: it's a precursor to contact improv, and a lateral cousin to Swing dance swing-outs, where partners share weight and allow the dynamics of their interactions to formulate the movement, whether unplanned (contact improv) or planned (swing, adagio dancing).

The appearance of violence in adagio/apache gave it a dramatic edge and motivated some of the movement, but it was an overlay to the energy itself (usually). Any good partnering has this characteristic, finally, but those forms allow the weight transfers to be the focus of the dance, rather than just an internal element within it.

Re: old TV series I've posted earlier some of the police detective series I've followed, but lately, after re-watching all of the Dutchess of Duke St., I saw "To Serve Them All My Days" and fell in love with that. The lead was so subtle, and very sweet, but he had a core of determination that was impressive as well.

I'm sorry to see that YT has taken off all the "Upstairs, Downstairs" episodes (both groups) as well as "House of Eliot"; it was looking for those that brought me back again to D/Duke St. and thence to TSTAMD.

OK, work to do..

:--}

M.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the Australian Cafe Continental ( ABC ) was a few years later

than the British one. :)

Strangely enough, there's an 'I love Lucy' episode from 1951 (Adagio Sr1 Episode 11), where she wants to learn how to dance this routine .

I just watched that one recently, another Wiki error though, it was actually Season 1 Episode 12.

Not a lot of Apache Dancing though. ohyeah.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG1mmRa3jWs

Fred and Ethel do a bit of it in this one @ 14.40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vODGqSnc20s

Re: old TV series I've posted earlier some of the police detective series I've followed, but lately, after re-watching all of the Dutchess of Duke St., I saw "To Serve Them All My Days" and fell in love with that. The lead was so subtle, and very sweet, but he had a core of determination that was impressive as well.

Hi C, How are you doing with all that Snow in Boston?

TSTAMD was one of my all time favourite series. I rewatched it on You Tube.

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1

Hi, Phyll,

Digging out, mostly.

I hit a point where it was like, "Oh, it's snowing again," when I got out the door in the AM.

I'm ticked at all my neighbors who clean their driveways meticulously but leave their sidewalks a mess.

Particularly those with snow blowers who think one run down the sidewalk is enough. You need to do a double run, and THEN you need to get the broom and shovel out and get the snow out from the bottom (which is pressed down and turns to ice otherwise).

Few do this, and others don't plow through all the way to the corner, so I end up walking (carefully) in the street a lot.

Now it's melting, of course, we have rivulets of glacial water at the corners and re-frozen ice patches in the AM.

And..Snow? Did I mention we will get more snow?

Yeah..if it all melts by June I'll be good.

Thanks for asking..

:--}

C.

• Like (+1) 2

Does anybody remember hadleigh with Gerald harper.

Anybody remember a children's TV programme in late 50's called Gary Halliday. He was an airline pilot who had several encounters on his trips with his enemy "The Voice". A bit of a topical subject at the moment!

I can recall a puppet show, not a regular series, called Rubovia. Said country was in Europe but seemed to be an English speaking country.

Characters included Albert Weatherspoon, an inventor, with his pet cat, the king and queen who owned a pet dragon called Pongo.

Anyone else remember this one?