Things you don't see anymore

Alan

I did not learn kizzy. We were thrown in with a float and expected to know what to do. About 7 years old. The worst thing for me was the temperature drop on my body when I entered the water.

Never learned to swim.

Decades larer in Benidorm my wife got me to enter a pool and taught me how to float.

From there and after a few paddling arm movements and I was slowly propelling myself. Swimming I suppose but I do not like it at age 73. 

• Like (+1) 2

It's been all redeveloped  under GO ACTIVE.Apool and upstairs an equipment gym part.There is a main hall .Its used quite a lot.aerobics,line dance etc.We use it also for indoor bowls (socially not professional).The men who run the things are really good and helpful.

And for the parking moaners,.ITS FREE PARKING. 

• Like (+1) 1

Most Leisure Centres are run by private businesses subsidised by Council Tax money. Everyone pays Council Tax but not everyone can afford to use Leisure Centres; another example of the comfortably off being subsidising by the struggling.

• Like (+1) 2

On 18/11/2022 at 13:39, kizzy said:

Most of St Helens kids learned to swim in these baths, it was a right of passage

We were marched down once a week from Windleshaw School. Swimming lessons consisted of one of the teachers standing alongside the pool on one leg attempting to demonstrate the breas stroke, and the woman pool attendant with a bicycle tyre attached to a clothes line draging kids in to the side.

Needless to say I never qualified for the Olympics

• Like (+1) 2

I remember I taught myself to swim in the weirdest manner when I was about eight. I had a length of rubber tubing that I used to be able to breathe under water. That led to a lack of fear of water and eventually my ability to swim

• Like (+1) 1

No swimming lessons for me - my school didn't do anything like that. We picked up how to swim by copying others and spending hours in the water. I do remember the exhilaration of one day finding myself moving through the water thinking a friend was holding me up - she wasn't!

• Like (+1) 2

Alan, the length of rubber tubing reminded me of the time I coached. The first public pool in Cornwall was built in an old army gymnasium. The pool was only 17m long. One lad, whom I'd taught since he was 7, was showing real talent. As a 15yr old, in order to vary his training, I had him swimming lengths attached to a long length of catapult elastic. I held onto one end and the challenge was for him to reach the other end but under strict instructions not to take the harness off. You can guess what happened, much to the amusement of his dad and my assistant. The whole lot came twanging back. I started the session sounding like Barry White and went home sounding more like Maria Callas. The lad was later selected to swim for England at the European Youth Championships. He won the 100m backstroke in Geneva and I coughed up a couple of stones to regain my natural voice. 

• Haha (+1) 1