Slide rules

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2017 at 20:19, Dave said:

Dot Matrix printers.

I still have an FX85, not used it for a long time used to print wx fax

image.jpeg.14d41584b39c345c654650a39d909939.jpeg

added 57 minutes later
On 10/10/2017 at 10:15, smick said:

fort william sleeper to euston still runs every night.

Try this for a sleeper – 3rd class -  I recommend Ist class, its superior - more expensive but its worth it

Edited by glushkov

The first time you ever got a clout off the local bobby, you went home and complained to your mam, she gave you a good hiding, then you got another when your old man came home.

I remember last year, I'd gone round to my sons house for a barbeque, the grandkids are pretty good, but the granddaughter(7) was getting a bit cheeky. She kept climbing on my knee, with her feet, and after she did it the 3rd time I told her if she carried on she'd get her backside tanned. She laughed and did it again, over my knee she went, and 3 slaps later was a very different child! The daughter in law was about to say something, when my son interrupted her, "it never did me any harm, and she was warned, not to climb on granddads knee like that".

Never had a problem since, I'm not saying kids should be beaten senseless, but a timely smack never did any of us older ones any harm.

It's a bit like growing up, remember things your mam said to you, some of them made no sense at the time, but in later years you find yourself saying the same things to your own kids.

"do you want a good hiding?"

"if you fall off there and break your legs, don't come running to me"

Then of course there was getting a slap. usually in syllables, you only hoped that the lecture was a short one, because there were less slaps in it, e.g

"How ma ny times ha ve you been told not to go out on to the road" properly done there were 17 slaps in that one. eeh kids of today, they don't know how lucky they are.

Its assault and it did your son harm - it made him think its OK to assault kids.

9 hours ago, HORT said:

Its assault and it did your son harm - it made him think its OK to assault kids.

What a load of crap, when I was a lad, you'd even get a clip round the ear off the village bobby, most of us turned out fine and none of mine have ever been in trouble with the law. I'm talking a timely slap, not a severe beating, or are you one of these people who advocates a "no boundaries" approach to rearing children? There was some right stupid cow on tv a while back, her kid peed on the floor because it didn't want to go to the toilet, it was about 5 years old, another one scratched a neighbours car, "it's fine, he's just expressing his creative side" replied the woman, when asked what she thought about what he'd done. Creative side my arse, if he'd done several hundred pounds worth of damage to my car then there'd have been hell to pay. There are too many parents these days who abdicate responsibility, there was an old lady killed at the weekend by a 14-year-old on an illegal motorbike. Perhaps if his parents had taken a bit more interest in his upbringing then there wouldn't be an old lady lying in the mortuary. 

• Like (+1) 3

You have not turned out fine, you think hitting kids is OK.

Right or wrong, it happened, and there's no need for personal attacks regards subjective experience.

Recent topic:

• Like (+1) 1

Its not a personal attack Dave, just an educated view of how the hitting of children makes the children grow up thinking violence is OK

Things you 'Don't hear anymore' if this counts.. Crackling on a record?

I remember going back to Boots on Church St in the early 80's  (i was around 12) with my Madonna album. It kept jumping. 

Some woman checked the record in the shop and she said it's fine.

It turned out there was fluff on my needle :lol:

added 0 minutes later

Take no notice of me :rolleyes:

added 29 minutes later
On 01/12/2017 at 21:39, glushkov said:

I still have an FX85, not used it for a long time used to print wx fax

image.jpeg.14d41584b39c345c654650a39d909939.jpeg

added 57 minutes later

Ahhhh.. Memories of the old St.Helens Hospital Gamble ward  :lol:

Edited by Robbob2010
  • Like (+1) 1

Buying anything electrical and putting your own plug on. 

You used to take your plug off from something that you hardly used to put on your new one :)

Rob, if you'd been born during war-time, you'd find it unbearable not recycling plugs off clapped-out electrical appliances. For years I had dozens of them on a shelf in one of the sheds

• Like (+1) 1

Where have all the EVERLASTING BARS gone. Next missed will be Cadburys Fudge Bar. Missing from Christmas gift packs . Replaced by an ORIO Bar. American owners decision.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, non sibi sed omnibus said:

Where have all the EVERLASTING BARS gone. Next missed will be Cadburys Fudge Bar. Missing from Christmas gift packs . Replaced by an ORIO Bar. American owners decision.

IMG_0795.JPG.f6925e110a87d6a20ddeb8e6a3102b7f.JPG

You've just triggered a long-buried memory, Glushkov. In the 1940/50s there were disabled old pre-war mechanical vending machines that once sold 2d bars of chocolate on most railway stations, I can remember them on Shaw Street and St Helens Junction platforms. We used to marvel at the idea of putting tuppence in and getting chocolate out especially as chocolate was so scarce and still rationed in those days

Edited by Alan
  • Like (+1) 1

I tried to remember if they wrre red and had a pull out drawer. Bournville ones .There were also ciggie machines. As you say Alan a lot were out of action. Wonder if any were saved by collectors. 

i put a  note on haydock reading rooms. Think its better here.

Does anyone remember going into the library etc and seeing the various newspapers on wooden poles that you held as you read them.

I assume it was to stop people theiving the newspapers?

In the Gamble newspapers where once tagged so try to sneak one out the alarm would sound which in turn would activate a magnetic lock on the exit door

making thieves go red in the face !!!

Edited by glushkov

On 22/12/2017 at 16:48, Robbob2010 said:

Buying anything electrical and putting your own plug on. 

You used to take your plug off from something that you hardly used to put on your new one :)

I remember as a teenager in 1969 going into Rothery Radio in Baldwin St .I,d saved up 99 "guineas " for a Murphy Stereo Cube ,which was just a radiogram really,and they charged me half a dollar extra for the plug.  2s/6d not much I suppose but it was 10 Embassy and a box of pilot in those days.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Half a crown in 1969 was more than the cost of a pint so I think it was quite expensive.

Men's sock suspenders

Kids in knee braces following polio