Sign in to follow this  
PRV

The 11th Batt. South Lancs Reg. The St Helens Pals.

That was a very Good Read Ratty, thanks for posting, Poor Frank - but a good testament to him.

I hope that the Liverpool Pals raise enough money for their memorial.

• Like (+1) 1

There will be several events this year as The St Helens Pals Project reaches it's climax.

In particular please note the meeting and exhibition in The Town Hall on Thursday 19th June at 6.45-8.30.

I have asked for several contributors to attend and I will lead on The St Helens Pals. We will open up to take in various aspects discussed and discovered through this project.

Well worth attending if you have a WW1 interest.

Thanks to the 105 people who turned up for this event. I thought is was very successful. We accepted queries from everyone and will do the research on them all.

We still want people to email pals@sthelenstownshipsfhs.org.uk

with their enquiries, if they think they have a relative who joined the pals.

We have found more than 3000 who did so give it a try.

Richard Wareing and I were very happy to be at the Volunteer Hall for Armed Forces Day last Saturday.

Our display was well received and formed an excellent back drop for the events which went on throughout the day.

We have now got (almost) the definitive list of names for those who served at some time or another in 11th South Lancs.

We are still accepting queries, but it is now too late to get family stories and photographs into the book.

Dave/Peter/Richard

Book received in the post today. The first 50 or so pages went by in a blur!!

Really well written and enjoyable to read, so very well done

One year on from the last posting on this thread. Good news we (St Helens Townships Family History Society) will be publishing A.T. Champion's Diary in the next couple of months. The original transcription was done by many volunteers, but Dave Risley has actually gone through every page to try to complete those transcriptions. There are still many words missing (unsure) but we think that it is well worth producing the book. It will be free but only about 1000 will be available. They will be given out at the Launch in the Public Library in February. Look out for the date because being there is the only way to make sure you get a copy. I will post again after Christmas.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for the update, Peter, I look forward to reading the book :)

Good news today. We are talking to The Management at St Helens Public Library about the launch of A.T.Champion's Diary. During the past 12 months Dave Risley has continued working on the transcription of the original diary, in order to get it into a readable book format.

Heritage Lottery gave us (St Helens Townships Family History Society) an extension of the project and our lead researcher Dave Risley, has continued with his work at Fulwood Barracks to complete this task. About 75 volunteers tried to help us with this work during the last six months of the original project, but very few on them could mange to make sense of the photocopied pages. I want to thank them for their efforts and I am sure that they will feel entitled to attend and get a copy of the published book. This book tells the story of each day in the life of 11th Battalion throughout the war. It will be a wonderful companion book to the one published last year. To be certain of getting one you need to turn up on Monday 22/2/2016 at the Central Library.

The event begins at 12 noon with a short presentation from Dave Risley at 12.30. Books are free but only 1000 have been published so attending this event is the only sure way to get a book. I will post again on Connect but put that date in your Diary now. 22/02/2016. Exactly 100 years from the date that The St Helens Pals left here for their final training at Bangor.

As some of you already know our President Richard Waring died a couple of months ago. RIP Richard.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for the update, the date is in my diary.

Having tried to read some of the pages for Dave, I can only heap praise on him and those that managed to get the diary transcribed, well done all of you.

Ste M

This posting is but a reminder to those who want to collect the book 'AT Champion's Diary'.

Date Monday 22/02/2016 Time 12-2pm place Central Library. This is an excellent book and will shed a great deal of light on the day to day action of 'The St Helens Pals'

101 years to the day that they left St Helens members of their families can also pick up a book which lists all 3000+ very short biographies, which we are also giving out.

It is important that the books are collected because postage & Packing will have to be paid for, though a list will be available through St Helens Family History Society who meet each Tuesday in the Central Library.

Don't miss this important event.

Anybody fancy attending on my behalf and getting a copy for me?

:)

Hi Stephen, I'll be going so, if they allow more than 1 per person, I grab an extra copy.

Regards,

Ste M

Me Grandad owd Bill Leyland Looks like I have NAYLOR blood in me.

10th from right to left top row, so those guys curled around on far left don't confuse counting.

Married Elizabeth Ann Naylor 30 May 1914
Enlisted 11th (Service) Bn. South Lancashire Regiment(SLR) (St. Helens Pioneers) 7 Sept 1914 aged 24, C Company Corporal 20881
France 6-11-15,
POW 24,3,18
discharged 14-3-19
British War Medal
Victory Medal
1914-1915 Star

thumbnail_W20Leyland20Cpl2020881_20large

southlancs11th201_zps07pwrljf.jpg

Me grandad owd Bill Leyland

10th from right to left top row, so those guys curled around on far left don't confuse counting.

Married Elizabeth Ann Naylor 30 May 1914
Enlisted 11th (Service) Bn. South Lancashire Regiment(SLR) (St. Helens Pioneers) 7 Sept 1914 aged 24, C Company Corporal 20881
France 6-11-15,
POW 24,3,18
discharged 14-3-19
British War Medal
Victory Medal
1914-1915 Star

Gdad Leyland on right..

.GrandfatherLeyland_zpsd032a88b3_zpsjbywx

Posted for duty: 7.9.14 at St Helens
Disability: Man states gassed
Date of origin: March 21 1918
Place of origin: St Quentin France
History; No evidence from documents. Man states that he was gassed as above & taken prisoner & that before this he
had been gassed twice before but did not go to hospital.
Present condition: Vidn Q 21
Liverpool
June 30 1919
Diagnosis: Gassed. Says he has lost weight. Complains of headache & deafness. He is not deaf on testing him. Does not
complain of cough. Cardio vascular sys.. .. at .. No Cardiac enlargement & lungs normal. Weight 139lbs. Chest
measurement 33-36. Pulse standing 64. Pulse on exercise 88. Pulse 2 minutes after exercise 72. No disability.
Liverpool
30 Jun 1919
[TNA WO 364]
Medal Index Card
Leyland William
11/S Lan R Cpl 20881
Medal: VM, BWM, 15 Star
Theatre of War first served in: 1 France
Date of entry therein: 6.11.15
Res Z 14.3.19
[TNA WO 372]
Medal Rolls
BWM/VM
South Lancashire Regiment
20881 Sjt. Leyland, William 11th South Lancs 20881 Cpl
[TNA WO 329/1294]
1914/15 Star
South Lancashire Regiment
20881 Pte. Leyland, William 06/11/15 (1) Class Z 14/3/19.
[TNA WO 329/2735]
Absent Voters List
1918: William Leyland, 27 Fox St., St. Helens, 20881 Pte. S. Lancs.
GRO/PR Entries
b. William Leyland, Q2 1890, Prescot, 8b/686.
m. William Leyland & Elizabeth A Naylor, Q2 1914, Prescot, 8b/1313.
m. William Leyland & Elizabeth A Naylor, 30 May 1914, St. Mary's Lowe House, St. Helens.
1911 Census
William Leyland, age 21, b. St. Helens, Coal Miner Hewer, son of Elizabeth Leyland (wid), 15 Crab St., St. Helens,
Lancashire.
[The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) RG 14/22765 Schedule 174]
11th (Service) Bn. South Lancashire Regiment (St. Helens Pioneers)
William Leyland, Cpl. 20881, C Coy.
Miscellaneous
ST. HELENS GALLANT SONS
The Men Who Have Enlisted
The following are the names of the men who have passed the medical inspection in the New Battalion.
[st. Helens Newspaper & Advertiser, 11 Sep 1914]
Lowe House Roll of Honour
11th South Lancashires
William Leyland, Fox Street.
[st. Helens Newspaper & Advertiser, 12 Feb 1915]
Leyland William 20881, Sgt, 11th South Lancs, Ham 24.3.1918 Unverwundet Westfront, 3.4.90 St Helens, Frau
Elizabeth St Helens.
[international Committee of the Red Cross, P.A. 26594]
William had 6 daughters, Anne, Irene, Kathleen, Mildred, Winifred, Elsie, and one son, Bill. Died in a mining accident
at Lea Green Colliery 16 March, 1950, aged 59.
GrandfatherLeyland2_zps09866d2d1_zpsoudu
GranmaampDad_zpsl9p8jftz.png
Just before He got killed at Lea Green Colliery with my Gma Elizabeth Leyland nee Naylor.

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 3

By 'eck, you can see that he's your grandad Pete. :)

Yeah, I thought that many times sifting through his pics. smile.png Good decent gradely folk my G parents, always followed the rules in life and were proper. Not like me. Gran ma had a reet Northern accent she'd always give me "Tuppunce ape'nee" for the number 15 double decker back to Parr from the Lingholm nurses home even though me mam give me my bus fare. Rest I'd spend on the "Penny Tray". smile.png

Oh yeah, and Gdad fought in what was known as the "Michael Offensive" in 1918. This was his last battle after being gassed, was taken prisoner until released in 1919.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Michael+Offensive+1918&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBDE717DE717&espv=2&biw=1639&bih=1439&tbm=isch&imgil=sBD42tmUE1iDBM%253A%253BsCPRLzSc6gu-mM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.thinglink.com%25252Fscene%25252F702538243479961602&source=iu&pf=m&fir=sBD42tmUE1iDBM%253A%252CsCPRLzSc6gu-mM%252C_&usg=__wIkjqjocgRqAhH5XTdAbQe_1giM%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiL1__N_d3RAhWlJMAKHcmaCIEQyjcISg&ei=3_WIWMvrN6XJgAbJtaKICA#imgrc=_

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1