Sign in to follow this  
Lowe House Boy

St.Helens Disasters.

After I mentioned the old Boots building collapsing in the 1950s on another thread,it got me thinking back to other disasters in St.Helens in the past.

One of the ones I always remember was when Oxleys department store burnt down. Can,t remember the year but I know it was completly detroyed.

Gas explosion at the Railway hotel corner of Shaw and George sts mid 70's was 1 I remember.

Gas explosion at the Railway hotel corner of Shaw and George sts mid 70's was 1 I remember.

Good start Gilly, I had forgotten that one.

there was another smaller shop incident in bridge st.near to church st end.big fire of st.thomas church westfield street also.

Don't if this has been mentioned elsewhere but wasn't there an incident near to where the old Fleece hotel used to be. Didn't it involve a building block falling from the roof or from height,or am I getting confused with something else.

I remember reading about it in the Star familyman, I think it was either during or just after the really bad winds we had a few years ago.

How far into the past are we going?

There was the train crash at Sutton Junction in the 1930s (I think but defo wouldn't remember it)

Don't if this has been mentioned elsewhere but wasn't there an incident near to where the old Fleece hotel used to be. Didn't it involve a building block falling from the roof or from height,or am I getting confused with something else.

This happened when Barclays bank was being refurbished and a coping stone fell from the top of the building. A man was killed and I believe the little girl who was holding his hand at the time was unhurt.

incident was in hardshaw street where the heavy sandstone blocks were.was actually only talking about it a few weeks ago.dont remember people involved but were adult and child.

there was another smaller shop incident in bridge st.near to church st end.big fire of st.thomas church westfield street also.

I think the one you are thinking of was when during some building work on Liptons in Bridge St. there was some sort of collapse. It was a real tradgedy with a Mrs.Caine and her little daughter being fatally injured. I think it was 1960 or 61.

www.old-merseytimes.co.uk plenty of info,pit disasters,old pubs etc.

Edited by boxkey4

I remember being told about a train incident that happened in the forties. I'm not clear on the details, but I think the train, not sure if it was a goods or passenger came off the bridge at Worsley Brow/Sutton Road. My aunt was playing nearby and was lucky not to be hit by it.

I think the one when the stone fell off a roof was in the late 60s.

Can we call the explosion at the Railway pub a disaster really - don't think anyone was hurt in it were they?

I don`t think it`s only called a disaster when there`s a tragedy, I can remember a couple of railway waggons breaking loose from a train going up the steep bank towards

Thatto Heath and careering down the track into St Helens station,I can`t remember if anyone was hurt.

The Barclays Bank one was in the early 70s. It was a fellow pupil (from Rivvi) whose dad was killed.

Something to do with Liptons at the top of Bridge Street - I think it collapsed..

A coping stone fell from the top of a building half way up Hardshaw Street - a passerby was killed, it was in late 60's.

Edited by church mouse

Regarding the tragic incident in Hardshaw street, this happened just before christmas of that year, my parents were in town at the time and had just passed the building minutes before. I'm not sure what the year was though.

I remember three in close proximity datewise or is a memory failure? Fire at Pils Ravenhead, fire at BICC Warrington Road/Bridge Road, Prescot and the wooden stand at Prescot Cables burning down. All possibly between 1958 and 1860

Not sure you would call it a disaster, but it sure would be to the people who live there - flooding at the ship in Haydock when the canal regularly burst its banks prior to the new link road going in. Can remember times when the dip and the houses there would be 3 foot under water.

Wasn't there some sort of gas leak at Thatto Heath primary school in the early 90's?

around 1950 at xmas time a waggon killed 2 girls in duke st near to lowe st

The Liptons one was in May 1960,the ceiling collapsed on top of Mrs Violet Cain and daughter Janet age 5.

Another May accident in 1958 involving a girl who attended the same school as myself,she was skipping into a rope that was being held by two other girls,a lorry was reversing and she fell under it and was killed,this happened near Beechams.

Real Disasters

1979, 18th. March. Golborne Colliery, Lancashire. 10 killed. (explosion).

All the Good men , women and children who lost their lives in all conflicts and in Industial Accidents

Miners, Glassworkers, Building workers, Farmers

So easy to forget how easy it was to die in the not to distant past and the employers who really "Did Not Give A Damn"

My grandad died as a result of a roof fall in Southport Colliery Parr, My grandmothers compensation? Zilch, and left with kids to bring up

Extract from History of Bold Colliery

Bold colliery (1881 - 1986)

http://www.suttonbeauty.org.uk/suttonhistory/bold_colliery.html

Bold Colliery was a major pit within the South Lancashire Coalfield, extracting high quality coal for over 100 years. The cost of coal has historically included loss of much human life and 70 men and boys died at Bold during this period.

bold_colliery05.jpg

Edited by JFM

I think it was 4 or 5 killed when that stone fell when the old Barclays bank was being pulled down and rebuilt

I think the one you are thinking of was when during some building work on Liptons in Bridge St. there was some sort of collapse. It was a real tradgedy with a Mrs.Caine and her little daughter being fatally injured. I think it was 1960 or 61.

This collapse was I believe caused by too heavy goods such as tinned food being stored upstairs and it couldn't take the weight.

I didn't know the lady killed but I met her sister about 30 years ago and she told me about it but she also died about 8/9 years ago with multiple sclerosis.