B.M.D. - Births

McDonald William Leyland Prescot 8b 859 - June 1905

B.M.D. - Marriages

Burns Elizabeth Leyland Prescot 8b 1329 - Dec 1930

Burns Elizabeth McDonald Prescot 8b 1329 - Dec 1930

Leyland William Burns Prescot 8b 1329 - Dec 1930

McDonald William Burns Prescot 8b 1329 - Dec 1930

There is two entries for William as Leyland & Mc Donald to Elizabeth Burns

St Helens marriage index as got two entries for Elizabeth Burns married at Lowe House 25th December 1930 one to a Peter L Mc Donald the other to Peter Leyland, I have seen the marriage details at L.R.O. (Lowe House M.F. 9 / 149) and there is NO father listed for Peter, Elizabeth is the daughter of Peter & Catherine Burns wit Harold Greenough, John Greenough, Ann Greenough.

So going off B.M.D the name is William Leyland Mc Donald so why get married under Peter Leyland / Peter Mc Donald, I am sure Peters mother is a Mc Donald going of the above info.

Is anybody researching Mc Donald / Burns / Leyland who as any info please

Ron.

Elizabetham Burns married to Petrum Leyland 25 Dec 1930 at Lowe House

also Elizabetham Burns married to Petrum L McDonald same date same church :dunno:

Regards

John

Hi John – Either this Peter Leyland who married Elizabeth Burns as got something to hide or not, it just seems strange from the B.M.D info that he should change is name from William to Peter, going from the info I have it’s the same person, as any one got access to the 1911 census to see who this William Leyland Mc Donald is living with please

Ron

Ron.

Just a thought - I think that the marriages at Lowe House are the same 2 people. I wondered if Peter was was born out of wedlock as a McDonald who then took his stepfathers name when his mother married him some time later. Must admit I can't find a local birth for a Peter McDonald but did find a marriage between a William Leyland and Mary Jane McDonald registered in Prescot Q3 1907

He could be married 'twice' - once as his Birth name - McDonald and also as the name he went by - Leyland. I would think in the name Peter L McDonald the L stands for Leyland. It would be interesting to know if Mary Jane McDonald was from St Helens - will try to find her in 1901 Census.

Cheers

John

Just had a look at 1911 census William Leyland was living in Crab St. age 5 others were

William age 33 Head

Mary Jane age 28 married 4 years 3 children born only 2 survived

Alice Ann age 6 months

All born St.Helens

William could have been illegitimate as there is a birth for a Wliiam Mcdonald born 1905 but no birth for William Leyland.

I don't understand where the Peter comes into it, as the marriage on BMD is for William Leyland and also for Mcdonald because didn't there have to be a registrar in attendance at catholic marriages, so maybe the priest got the name mixed up with bride's father and wrote the name down wrong but the registrar got it right (the priest may have been on the communion wine lol)

Hi eejayess Thanks for the 1911 census, William Leyland married Mary Jane Mc Donald in 1907

McDONALD Mary Jane Prescot 8b 1400 March 1907

LEYLAND William Prescot 8b 1400 March 1907

Cannot find location as yet, so it looking like McDonald William Leyland Prescot 8b 859 - June 1905 is the illegitimate child of William & Mary Jane.

So why did William Leyland give the name Peter L Leyland / McDonald when he married at Lowe House, the B.M.D. info states it was William Leyland / Mc Donald who married Elizabeth Burns in 1930, Strange, you could be right that the Priest got the names mixed up, it could have been Peter Leyland who was one of the witness, William & Mary Jane did have a son called Peter born 1913, once I find the marriage info it might sort itself out.

You said - William could have been illegitimate as there is a birth for a William Mcdonald born 1905 but no birth for William Leyland -- there is a birth for a McDonald William Leyland Prescot 8b 859 - June 1905.

Ron

Hi Ron, what I meant was that there was no birth with Leyland as a surname only Mcdonald for that year, using Leyland as a middle name.

Good Luck I hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi eejayess – Think I have cracked it, William is buried with his mother and father (William & Mary Jane Leyland nee Mc Donald, in section 33 grave 741) and his wife Elizabeth Leyland nee Burns, William age works out to within a year.

Is anyone going to St Helens cemetery armed with a camera, could they pop in the above section please to see if there is an headstone – Thanks Ron

Archived