Sign in to follow this  
brianrr

Olde England (formally The Lamb)

The Royal has changed it's name but i can't think what to at the moment :dunno:

Hello Gilly the name of the royal,it is now called the bureau.the market hotel and the nelson have both now shut.

Is my old local, the Lingholm, still in business?

Yes, but who knows how long it'll last.

They're doing the old Rifle Corps up now (Macy's Bar in recent years and closed for quite a while), but I can't tell if it is going to be re-opened as a pub. It looks like it is, but it would seem like madness in this current climate.

The Nag's Head (Eccleston St) is now flats - in case anyone hasn't noticed.

The Bureau is owned by someone from St. Helens. The Little Pig in Sutton is boarded up at the moment

And the Engine, Prince of Wales, Little Pig and Sutton Arms are all boarded up.

It won't be long before they're all gone :(

Dave, The Rifle is opening up as a Pub / Bar, I believe Phil who owns O'Neills, and The Green Room as got it.I'm sure the Lingholme was boarded up last time I passed there

Edited by Thumpa lumpa

I agree with antony, There is a lot of history tied up in those pubs, and in the names. St Helens has changed so much now.

My dad used to navigate by pubs. If he was alive today he would be hard put to because most of the pubs he knew have changed names or gone to the wall.

Maybe it would be better for those pubs that survive to think about the history of the town before changing the name of something that has had the same name for many years.

I was shocked when Dave told me just how many pubs had done this, and for no good reason.

I think however, that most of the traditional pubs are now being replaced by trendy bars and clubs.

Apparently The Rifle is going to be a Restaurant, I was told last night :thumb:

I walked passed the Olde England last night, the door was open and it actually smelled like a real pub

Well I for one hope the Nelson and the Market open soon I would hate to see them go the same way as other town pubs

I've been meaning to visit this place for a while now to make a change from the George & Alfred but haven't got round to it yet. I totally understand people's frustrations when pubs change their name but I like the reason that the Lamb has been altered. It's about time there was an pub to celebrate being English round here, too many times you see Irish bars etc.

Stoka i got told at the weekend the Alfred is shutting.

That's odd, I know there's a new landlord as of a couple weeks back but it's news to me that it's shutting.

Stoka my mate goes in every night waiting to pick his wife up from the station.

Stoka my mate goes in every night waiting to pick his wife up from the station.

Ah well that's a shame, was a decent watering hole as well. Many a time i've been on the train from Wigan to Thatto Heath and got off in town for a quick pint before resuming the journey.

I used to frequent the george and alf as well stoka, It will be a shame if it closes

Checked up earlier and the landlord leaves tomorrow and they're yet to find another.

Shame about the Alfred, good meeting place when going to Liverpool for a night out.beak.gif

Good news and bad news. New bar opened in Westfield street last week and the shutters have come off the Little Pig in Sutton. Bad news St. Josephs club in Sutton Road is closing shortly

Good news and bad news. New bar opened in Westfield street last week and the shutters have come off the Little Pig in Sutton. Bad news St. Josephs club in Sutton Road is closing shortly

What's happening Gazza, when Detroit's was open it used to be full, because of the Motown and Soul music, I always thought the Warehouse would of been the best venue for that after Detroit's closed, then St Joseph's started the Motown/Soul theme, and now that is closing. People are not falling out with the music scene are they.

It's not the people it 's the places. Chisser was getting 100+ every month in Joey's, but not a lot of them came from St Helens. They mainly come from Widnes and Runcorn. That's due to a night my friend and I used to put on at Dawsons Dance Centre (Everite club)in Widnes. When that stopped Chisser started his Geraldo reunion at Joey's, It's been going for quite a few years now, well before Detroit's.

I used to do it with him when it first started but got a residency at the Wheatsheaf in town so packed it in.

It was the same with Detroits, The lad that opened that Steve from Rainhill, I think, was a motown fanatic. It was buzzing once it took off, but after it shut the first time it was never the same again, a bit too out of the centre of town for me.

Anyway Chisser was a bit upset because they only told him on the Friday of his do it would be the last one, so he couldn't go out in a blaze of glory. I'm going to suggest he trys the Sidac or the Cricket club and put the soul back into Sutton

Speaking of the Warehouse, Dave Cotham was doing a soul night there for a short while then that shut down and was turned into Robino's. Same with the Bureau, we been trying to get on there but that shut down before the Bank Holiday, due to some dispute between the owner and the brewery. It opened again for the Bank Holiday and is shut down again now. so has I said it's the places to do them that's the problem not the people falling out with the music.

It'll never be over for me KTF

Edited by DJGAZZA

Has anybody else heard anything about naughty goings on upstairs in The Lamb? It might just be somebody spreading lies, but it's one that's doing the rounds ATM. If you're bothered brianrr? Oh, you haven'r been on since March. Never mind.

Sorry I live away, when did The Lamb change it's name?. I had my1st pint in there when I was16, we were on day release at The Gammble Institute

and went in at lunchtime (dinner time it was then) it was Christmas week 1955. Happy days.

it was Christmas week 1955. Happy days.

I was only 3 weeks old lol 'Rock around the clock' was no 1