Sign in to follow this  
brianrr

Olde England (formally The Lamb)

I'm of the opinion that some pub names like historic buildings should be listed but I have never heard anyone else voice similar sentiments. However, I don't feel that the Lamb had any real historical connotations therefore I'm not really bothered about the name change except that when I first saw it I thought it a bit naff. Changing pub names is always bit risky and you can't please everyone. Can you imagine for example changing the name of the Elephant Hotel in Elephant Lane or the Sefton?

If I still lived in St Helens I wouldn't be able to resist that invitation. Good luck to you Brian and Olde England, I hope you both flourish

Edited by Alan

I might just call in tonight with my wife,it is years since i was last in the Lamb.

Me and my wife called in the Olde England pub last night and we had one drink each,i had a pint of Tetleys bitter very nice,my wife had half a pint of Carling lager,it came to £3,other pubs are charging about £3-50 for the same drinks,there were plenty of people in the bar side,and in the best side there were about twenty people,when i asked the man serving beer was he the landlord he said no and that the landlord and his wife Brian and Julie were on there holidays so i never met them.i will call again one night,if you are out with your mates it would be alright for a cheap night ,there was music on but it was not blasting like some pubs i go in.

Sounds like you had a good night Joe, wish I could have been there.

Here's another nice photo I found of "The Lamb"

The Lamb

Just back off holiday (First one since getting the pub) sorry to have missed you Joe and great to read replies and also back to find that CAMRA have now given us our Locale award (where you have stocked locally made ales for a year or more) Going for the caskmarque one next.Dont want to keep going on about old names..but does anyone know WHY the Lamb was called that? (I do and it was one of the reasons I changed it too as it definitely does not apply any more) :blink: Julia

Go on - tell us why. You know you want to! :)

Hi Bri and Julia, Does it have something to do with Religion? :dunno:

Good luck to both of you for resurrecting a pub in St Helens - far too many pubs in town have closed, same as in many towns too not just in St Helens. A key part of our heritage being sacrificed on the altar of "progress"

Don't often get into St Helens for a drink anymore, but next time I do, we'll call in.

Like Dave, for me, "The Lamb" was one of those pubs occasionally frequented as part of town centre pub crawl as a teenager on a mega-crawl round town..

Just a guess but did the term "lamb" refer to a lady of easy virtue :groucho:

I called in the pub again last night and the landlord was not there again,he had been there early on but he had gone home.

Hey Phyll Well done! Yes It was a church hostelry at the time of setting up so it was "The Lamb of God" If the church wish to pay my business rates (which are the highest in town!!) I will change the name back :idiot: Would love to go back and see it in those days with the horses delivering the ale and run in and out of the 3 doors it had. Thanks Warrington Saint for your good luck but dont forget Joe you are asking for the Landlady it is Julias pub not mine. Cheers ;)

Oh Great, You owe me a Rum and Coke, if I ever get over there.:thumb:

Hello Brianrr,Julias does not write on this forum it his you who put the report in about the pub so i asked for Brian when i went to the bar.

I might give it a look next time i'm in town probs next week some time.

I can tell you a tale that happened in the Lamb,it was just before coronation day 1953 ,my Grandad and his mate Big Bob Langtree from Portico, were in there before noon,a smart arse in the bar bet big Bob,he could't drink 12 halves whilst the town hall clock struck 12.

Big bob won.

Now the arguement was ,and it stood for decades,was it bitter or mild.

GG, maybe 6 of each :blink:

bet big Bob,he could't drink 12 halves whilst the town hall clock struck 12.

The Townhall clock doesn't strike

I use to go in the Lamb with my mates in the early 80's. Ive started going in again on saturday afternoon -i can tell you that its one of the friendliest pubs ive been to in a long time.

The Townhall clock doesn't strike

Always thought they were taking the piss.

Edited by gypsygeoff

I for one am a bit sick and tired of all the old pubs having there names changed just because some trendy landlord thinks its going to bring in the crowds

Do you go in those pubs Antony? I don't like pub names changing either, but I don't bother with pubs any more (especially since the smoking ban), so I don't think that I have any say at all.

To be honest Dave No I dont. But there is a history there that we need to keep and I get fed up at times trying to figure out what pub people are talking about All because some landlord changed the name The Nelson and the Market are a good example And some of these landlord dont even come St Helens,

Edited by antony