Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brianrr

Olde England (formally The Lamb)

Hi we own Olde England, does anyone out there have any old pictures or history of what was the Lamb.

Thanks

Bri

no don't thinks so Bri someone might have though on here have you looked through the photo section on connect. One of my dad's favourite watering holes when he played dominoes.

The pub has been known as The Lamb for all my liftime, I am 62. So I would like to know why it has been changed to "Olde England"?

Brian do you know the reason for this move from the traditional name?

Brian, the best place to find out is at the Local History Archive reference library on the top floor of the Gamble building - seen on the picture up the road from your pub.

th_TheLambCollegeStLarge.jpg

There is a book there called "The surviving pubs of St Helens - their early history", by Brian Tarry, which will probably have a section in it for The Lamb.

I must be honest I don't understand why they changed it ether. Why change something that has been know by that name for years. :dunno:

Similar things happened with The Talbot, The Market, The Nelson, The Rifle (before it closed) and probably some more, so it's not as though it is an isolated incident. It's still 'The Lamb' for me.

Wow Dave with not getting out much now I didn't know that thanks for the info.

One of the worst was when they changed The Cowley Hill Vaults to The Anfield Arms. Talk about alienating people. Thankfully somebody saw sense and changed it back.

Oh boy that would have cause ructions talk about advertising a pub for a fight with rivalries. Thank goodness someone grew a brain.

Proof

Mr Hort..when was the last time you were in "The Lamb?" as it was then? Looking forward to hearing about any history of the pub (Its been there since 1854 it must have some!!!) You can e mail direct brian@1854pub.com

I first started my drinking career in 1966. In those days I was 17 and could only get served in the Gerrard. However the approach of the glorious 18th welcomed in a new area of supping, allowing all manner of hostelries to be sampled and enjoyed.

One of these was The Lamb. On Friday nights in the late 60s and early 70s, I aand some mates would sally forth in search of fun every Friday Night. We always ended up in the Fleece where they had a folk night with one find end of a (girl) singer, a terrific 5 string banjo player a very talented guitarist. Fabulous end to the evening. Nevertheless, the start of the night was always looked forward to as well and was in the bar in The Lamb. In those days there was always plenty of mature ladies of ill repute in the Lounge, and the best Pinball Machine in town was situate in the bar. The pub was always packed.

The landord put up a prize of 8 free pints to the highest score each week and how we tried as young lads to win it, but we never did.

In those days there was an extra entrance door on the corner of College Street and Corporation Street. It was eventually bricked up, but you can see where it used to be.

Sadly as the years passed my visits became less and less frequent and my last regular pints were when Keith Kerfoot was Landlord. Although I think my last tipple in there was about 2 or 3 years ago when I went in the Lounge for a quickie.

As a child i used to call in with my parents on a Friday night after doing the shopping at Lennons and a sit down tea in the Bears Paw.It was one of the few pubs i didn't have to stand outside drinking my Lemonade.The landlord was "the Guvner"John Sines before he took over Chessies.About that time 70-72ish,it was a regular haunt of many of the towns characters.One was Joe Johnson the legendary drinker.One of his party tricks was to line up 6 pints and drink them before Lowe house chimed 6 o'clock.I used the pub later as an adult,it was quite a popular stopping off point before a walk round town.I can't remember all the landlords but Tony Twist,big Ken Wharton and Neil Manley sring to mind. Whose idea was it and why has the name been changed?

hey nostalgia aint what it used to be.. I can remember..well not much at my age in my 40's now you know! Things move on and not always for the better I do agree with that. BUT when a business (in this case the pub) has gone down hill so much sometimes the only way is to re name and re brand to get rid of the bad reputation. Olde England is actually her in doors pub (Julia) her own little idea and now a totally free house. Like most people on here it appears Mr Hort and Gilly have not been into the Lamb as it was for many many years and would of been shocked at how run down it had become. In fairness not all of this can be blamed on Landlords as greedy pub companies in this case it was Punch charge extortionate rents, insist on full repairing leases and then tie in beer sales and over charge for those too often double price per barrell you can buy from wholesalers..though I always think cleanliness costs nothing and it was heaving 6 full skips of rubbish several days cleaning and a fumigation where required. Anyhow Olde England is just that, its Old (1854) and English! We have lot of Irish pubs here so why not celebrate being English in England and also, Welsh and Scottish too. It stocks local English real ales, and a fab range of English wines, unusual such one too nettle, dandelion and mead, food is from local butchers Gavins and green grocers Fosters so it says what it does on the tin! Painted British racing green takes it back to its greenalls green roots. Hope that explains it and Julia has said if anyone would like to e mail please do so at julia@1854pub.com (web site not complete..can anyone help there) and she will be happy to meet you in the slaughtered lamb and buy you a pint of the finest. Cheers! :thankyou:

You have probably caused a stampede now brianrr :D

As you can see I am many miles away, otherwise I would call in to wish yourself and Julia all the very best (I don't drink).

It was always The Lamb to me too, but times change, as is mentioned about the other old pubs.

Very best wishes :)

SHHH don't be mentioning buying people beer!You might get Brunty in,in one of his many disguises :rolleyes:

The Lamb is the way that I have always known it and that is the way I will remember the pub that my dad used to drink and spend time in. For me the Lamb will always be the Lamb

I understand your sentiments swimmer,but brian has to make a go of it and if changing the name seems to be the way forward for him and his missus then good luck to them I say

I am not disputing that ganggad, I am just saying it will always be the Lamb to me. I feel however that anyone starting in a buisness has the right to change whatever they please in order to make a success of it. In this day and age were pubs have to diversify into food or entertainment. Whatever makes the business work is good for the owners. Good luck to Bri and his wife in their new adventure.

Yes I agree. Good Luck to Brian and Julia. I remember going in the Lamb, on one of our many pub crawls. If I lived nearer, I would take you up on your offer.:thumb:

P.S. Where is Brunty anyway? :dunno:

yes not heard from him in a while hope he is okay

I quite like the change - and the olde colour scheme. It's a long time since I went in The Lamb. It'd often be a not-so-appealing stop on a teenage pub crawl, cos it was full of 'old' people.

The sad fact is that people just don't go to pubs like they used to. Drinking in the house with a party can seemed like a daft thing to do and blokes who did that were considered retreatist and 'under the thumb'. They got rid of the communities - people who lived and worked and drank in the same places. First of all the breweries jumped on the bandwagon with the bigger off licenses then the supermarkets took over. New toys in the house like games consoles and computers made it less of a bore to stay in with the missus or girlfriend. Lots of other reasons..

I agree with you dave, the local just isn't what it used to be in our parents time. There are very few of the old type communities left in st helens now.

Brunty is fine - I had an email the other day.