Sign in to follow this  
pereira

Haulage contractor, Fingerpost

I remember Bridge's transport in Brown Street in the 50's. My grandparents lived opposite in the terraced houses. The houses were demolished in the 1960s.

Tanker Driver if you worked for fillinghams in king street you must remember Les Fillingham being the boss there Roy Fillinghams dad

Thank you Eileenec for clarifying their name, I had several childhood friends who lived in Brown Street. I also remember in that period when on at least two occasions of trucks rolling on their side on the corner of Higher Parr Street and Ashcroft Street. They where loaded high with hundreds of wooden individual bottle crates complete with bottles, this cargo would be spread over the road causing mayhem but of great entertainment for us kids. A little piece of local history now long gone from that area was an advert from the 20's and 30's painted on the very end terrace wall of a house near Ashcroft Street. The text read something like "Use ROP motor spirit" it was quite large and depicted a old fashioned petrol can. This was pointed out to me by my father who worked for them delivering petrol in gallon cans around St Helens and Liverpool area during the inter-war period, petrol stations where not so wide spread then. ROP stood for Russian Oil Products, I think they may have been the forerunner of Esso.

Hi Tanker driver, Les Fillingham knew how to save money remember re cutting tread on to wagon tyres there thrifty or tight choice is yours you worked there like me lol

I drove for Hugh Collins from his yard at the back of park road bottles from UGB that yard later became Roy Fillinghams yard Hughie had the green Commer wagons , But having said that Tommy Lloyd had the same vehicles in blue running out of pilks bottom works Betty Coxheads were brown and Harrisons from knowley rd were red but all Commer two strokes strange but true

hi jcs your right about the Commer lorrys, they were fitted with Roots ts3 two stroke diesel engines.They all came from Broughtons who were main agents for the

Roots Commer/Karrier group of vehicles. New ones came mostly just with a cab and chassis, after being fitted with either wood or alloy bodies I had the task of

electrifing them and getting them ready for the road. Broughtons in Knowsley rd eventuly became a Citroen/Peugeot agent.

Hi pereira.Noted your comment about the overturned lorries.I did mention the location on another thread.Basically my dad used to say that the crossing from higher parr st across park road and the pub.Then the right angle bend as you turned into parr stocks road was a nightmare for accidents.He said most of the wives who lived on the parr stocks road part would never stand and talk on the step cos of the accidents.He couldnt remember anyother road that had a 90 degree bend in it.

I started work as a second man for James Bridge in 1962 at the age of 16. Soon after, they moved to a new depot in Delta Road, Parr. I remember the old depot at Brown St (and the main office in Ashcroft St) very well. After clocking on, we had to collect our paper slip off the clip board detailing our first job for the day. Often, at first, mine just said 'See James", meaning young James Bridge, not the one named on the trucks. I remember turning up for work there, while it was still dark and some of the trucks were parked in the streets in front of the terraced houses.

we worked with Julie fillingham, duaghter of the haulage transport company in st thelens.. 

DHR.

I left school in 1962 and around 1965 was moving work from lpool.

My dad pointed to a little advert in st.helens reporter for a traffic clerk.

I went  for an interview ,then was asked back for another then asked for another and finding this was cos initial numbers were 48 and it was now down to me and another lad. So i told them i couldnt attend.

I told my dad it seemed a cockeyed firm. He worked at bold colliery and said a few years  later that rumours  at the colliery the business was in trouble so was glad i hadnt joined.  

From my knowledge there was a depot in brown st cos i went out with a girl in brown st.

I DONT KNOW WHETHER YOU HAVE SEEN IT !But I'm sure there is a foto on this site  somewhere showing Parr stocks road where the legion was. To the left you can see the start of BRIDGES TRANSPORT prop.There seemed to be a prop next to the entrance that i believe was the office before you got to the garage bit.

If you can like me find the foto it must bring memories back though?.

Hopefully DAVE or one of our foto experts can draw up the foto.

I THINK IF YOU PUT IN PARR BRITISH LEGION IT IS THERE

Ive not been able to get the foto up  quick enough to hold but you can see the bay window start of the Bridges office! 

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus

2 hours ago, Bishbash said:

we worked with Julie fillingham, duaghter of the haulage transport company in st thelens.. 

Thanks. With that name I was able to work out that the haulage contractor family are related (common ancestors Antony Fillingham 1781-1821 and Ann Hill 1779-?). :)

• Like (+1) 1

your welcome . wonder if Julie still lives in St Helens .. 

Somewhere towards Pemberton, Wigan, if detective skills are right.

added 19 minutes later

Fillinghams haulage also had a place in King Street. I don't know if it was just for repairs, or whatever, but we used to annoy the hell out of them, getting 'cogs' on the back of the lorries as they drove off. I was unaware that the blokes who shouted at us and chased us off might have been relatives. :)

• Like (+1) 1

The garage in King street was Hankinson's old place. It had a petrol pump at the front in King street and the garage was at the rear through the back entry.

I worked there as Alan Hankinson closed it and then went to Broughtons.

Are there any pictures on the site?

View from Beechams towards King Street

kingst.jpg

On 16/02/2018 at 15:03, Dave said:

Somewhere towards Pemberton, Wigan, if detective skills are right.

added 19 minutes later

Fillinghams haulage also had a place in King Street. I don't know if it was just for repairs, or whatever, but we used to annoy the hell out of them, getting 'cogs' on the back of the lorries as they drove off. I was unaware that the blokes who shouted at us and chased us off might have been relatives. :)

thanks ..think she married our gaffer at the time ,,Dave Coup ( he was from that way if i remember rightly dave..

That's right, but spelled Coop. As I say, just with one name I was able to make the connection (4th cousin 1x removed). Her dad was Eric Ronald F.

..spelled it Coop originally then changed it ..would be great to make make contact with Dave again one time..a nice bloke as was julie a really nice girl too.. 

PHYLL i took some photos from BEECHAMS clock tower when working up there but they  are not as good as yours

• Like (+1) 1

I think that photo was from the St Helens and Local Archives Jeb, at least that's what it says on the pic :) 

10 hours ago, jeb said:

PHYLL i took some photos from BEECHAMS clock tower when working up there but they  are not as good as yours

Thanks Jeb, but it's not mine so I can't take the credit, it was on the "Photos Archive" on this Connect Site.

Thanks for the picture Phyll. That's the garage in the foreground.

• Like (+1) 1

PHYLL on the left hand side    of your picture near the top is my old garage in FENTON ST opposite  that used to YEARSLEYS builders

• Like (+1) 1