Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Schools questions

When I knew Greg Bate, he lived either further up Windleshaw Road from Russell OR in Speakman Road - think he was related to the people who ran the tobacconist opposite Helena House.

I only really got to know them from my days at The Gerrard, though I'd recognised Russell from St.Andrew's.

Being lads, we used to call him Master Bates

Hi, I will clear a couple of points on Windleshaw School also Known as St Thomas of Canterbury same as the church!The infant School entrance was on the main road & the Junior & Senior school entrance were both in Hamill St. Boys & girls had separate playgrounds also separate entrances.It was a mixed school until 1958 when the junior school boys were split from the girls & went to Edmund Campion. Ours was the first class to be just girls.Our class was for two years on the Open air school grounds(as it was then known)It was the long concrete type building up a short path & the entrance was the first opening as you walked along Rainford Rd. The building housed two classes & Miss Crank was our teacher who we all thought was much to old to still be alive never mind teaching, she was lovely (strict at times) but a great teacher, who we could twist round our fingers & we did quite a lot. The other classroom to our delight was for all the boys from the other R.C schools in St Helens to come to for woodwork.It was great getting wolf whistles off some really (as they say nowadays) FIT LADS!! Happy days! We were the overspill from the main school but we still had to go for assemblies & such like. Sorry if I have gone on a bit I really did love my schooldays. Veronica.PS St Lukes in Knowsley Rd was C.of.E not R.C.

Edited by westfield st

What was the name of that little school room that was on the same side of Elephant lane but set back and almost opposite Thatto Heath Labour Club?

I remember it being a Catholic Infants school but other schools used it for dinners. I don't think it was anything to do with st. Austins.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Not sure about that DD, thought you of all people would know! This other thread was on in January, when we were all looking for your help.:thumb:

http://www.sthelens-..__1#entry349285

Edited by Phyll

St.Lukes was C of E, Knowsley Road was United Reformed, both primaries. They joined together to become Queen's Park C of E/URC school, in the old Rivvy Rd. senior, in the late 80s/ early 90s.

So in fact, the school I went to Knowsley Rd, is now the school my grandkids go to Queens Park. Can't wait to tell them that. Thanks for the information kitb132 and welcome to connect hope you have a great time on connect we do. :thankyou:

Hi kitb - interesting reading about the 2 schools joining together but I was not aware that Knwsley Rd was connected to a church. The church next door was congregationalist (part of Ormskirk St Congs) but the school had no connection at all with that church. St Luke's was connected to the C of E church. I was interested to read the dates you mentioned as to when the 2 schools joined together. I was in St Helens in December 1980 and visited Knowsley Rd school for their Christmas parties with my children - and may I add met up wih a teacher who had taught me in late 1940s who was still teaching there - Miss Smith. The next time I went back was January 2001 - the school wa demolished, apartments were being built and I stood at a doorway and saw the whitewashed wall of the old toilet blocks on the far wall thrugh the passageway.

Going on the dates you gave, does that mean that the school stood vacant for quite some time before it was knocked down or that the school was knocked down some time before the apartments were built? dDid the children move straightaway to the new school.

Interesting information - thanks kitb

sorry kitb - also forgot to say welcome to the site - hope you get lots of fun and interesting conversations when you begin to get to know your way round. Don't worry about asking questins - lots of peole have some great knowledge of the workings of the site and will share their knowledge with you

I also went to Knowsley Road School, 1951 to 1953, and don't recall any church affiliations. I remember the outside block of toilets to which Barbara C refers. In those strange days teachers referred to the toilets as "the offices"

In a flash of inspiration, just remembered some K R teachers' names from that era. Miss Foggo, Miss Henty, Mr Welsby and Mr Bellis. Miss Foggo smoked throughout the lesson

Hi all the teachers that I remember from my time at Knowsley Road were, not sure the years mind you. Mrs Heaton, Mrs wallace, Mr Gaskill and Mr Greenhalgh, think those are right and the head was Mr Lilly, a really nice bloke.

I was there from sixty one. I do remember also a trip to London that we took in the fourth year and stayed in the Park Hotel, we all had a great time wonder if anyone else on here remembers that trip.

Oh getting back to the original thread I do not remember it being affiliated to any church only that it was C of E. I do however, remember those toilet blocks they were freezing in winter, and skating across the playground to get to them. :roflmao:

Hi Alan - my teachers were Mrs Billington in standard 2, Mrs Wallace in standard 3, Miss Foggo in standard 4 - Mr Welsby must have been the other standard 4 teacher as well as being deputy principal and Miss Henty as headmistress. I have very clear memories of sitting at the back of class in Miss Foggo's sewing class (making I might add the MOST revolting 'white'blouse') and eating Bounty coconut bar in tiny little bits so """we wouldn't get caught!"""

mst have been there about 1948 to 1951

Bounty coconut bar? Yours must have been the rich end of Harris Street. Mrs Billington, that name rings a bell too

There was a Mr Welsby who was the headmaster at St Thomas's wonder if he was any relation or that he got the headship there when Mr Lilly got the headship and Knowsley Road. Remember Mrs Wallace, also Barb remember embroidery class there making teatowels and tableclothes, first practicing on a piece of what looked like weaved matting with large holes in LOL

There was a Mr Welsby who was the headmaster at St Thomas's wonder if he was any relation or that he got the headship there when Mr Lilly got the headship and Knowsley Road. Remember Mrs Wallace, also Barb remember embroidery class there making teatowels and tableclothes, first practicing on a piece of what looked like weaved matting with large holes in LOL

whydoes this thing keep posting twice

can't quite remember - there was a Jo Welsby and there was a FRank Welsby - ALan can you remember which one it was?

that was meant to be Joe not Jo

The Knowsley Road guy was Joe Welsby Barbara.

Not sure didn't know his first name but description he was small wore glasses and had brownish red slightly balding hair, but of course my memory could be faulty lol think that is what he looked like.

Just thought of one already - Laffak - was it infants and juniors?

Laffak was Infants only age 5 & 6

I went to St Teresa's through infant and junior years, but I remember that in year 6 (last year of junior school) we were moved out to a school on Knowsley Rd, I think because there was some work being done on the St Teresa's building? It was the school close to the Nags Head pub. I don't know if it had already closed but I can't ever remember seeing any other children there who were not from our school, we certainly had the classroom and playground to ourselves.

I can also remember going into the school on Rivington Rd, though by then this one had closed. We are talking early 1990's. There were still people working in there so I'm not sure what capacity it was operating in, but it was not as a working school I remember that much.

Are either of these buildings even still standing? I moved away a while ago now..

Only just come across this topic so here is my two pennies worth.

Ravenhead St.Johns

I went there from 1942 -1945 when it was just an infants school. I left there for Thatto Heath Primary School

My Dad went there sometime about1907 when he was taught through his whole schooling until he left school at 14

It was in St.Johns Street at the back of Crossley Road but it nolonger exists

• Like (+1) 1

This topic probably should have been closed some time ago because it was about making the Schools List - on which members could add themselves and put anecdotes, etc. The reason being so that posts specific to a school don't get lost within sprawling topics like this one.