Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave

Schools questions

There will probably be more, but these will do for starters. In making a list of St Helens schools I referred to the list on Friends Reunited, which is a bit of a mess because some schools are in two or three times with different spellings or they look a bit odd in the sense that some people appear to have attended secondary schools that I only knew as being primary schools.

Here are the first ones. Can we clear these up..

1) 'St Lukes' and 'Knowsley Road' - were these separate or one and the same?

2) 'York Street' - was this just an infants school?

3) 'St John's, Ravenhead' - was this just an infants school?

4) 'St Mary's' at Keswick Road - was this only a primary school (not secondary)?

5) 'St Mary's Lowe House' was this only ever a primary school (not secondary)?

6) Was 'Holy Cross' in Charles Street only ever a primary school (not secondary)?

7) Was 'St Austins' in Heath Street only ever a primary school (not secondary)?

8) Was 'Hurst School' at Hard Lane only ever a primary school (not secondary)?

There will probably be more, but these will do for starters. In making a list of St Helens schools I referred to the list on Friends Reunited, which is a bit of a mess because some schools are in two or three times with different spellings or they look a bit odd in the sense that some people appear to have attended secondary schools that I only knew as being primary schools.

Here are the first ones. Can we clear these up..

1) 'St Lukes' and 'Knowsley Road' - were these separate or one and the same? Seperate, Knowsley Raod was C of E , St Lukes was RC

2) 'York Street' - was this just an infants school? it always was in my lifetime

3) 'St John's, Ravenhead' - was this just an infants school?

4) 'St Mary's' at Keswick Road - was this only a primary school (not secondary)? Yes

5) 'St Mary's Lowe House' was this only ever a primary school (not secondary)?

6) Was 'Holy Cross' in Charles Street only ever a primary school (not secondary)?

7) Was 'St Austins' in Heath Street only ever a primary school (not secondary)?

8) Was 'Hurst School' at Hard Lane only ever a primary school (not secondary)?I can recall special needs kids at 13 years old there

Holy Cross had a senior school at the back of church in Parade St phased out when St Albans opened.Hurst did have a secondary school,but not sure if it changed it's name

St Lukes and Knowsley Rd were one and the same, it was C of E, a primary school.

Sorry Moody, St Lukes and Knowsley Road were totally separate. Knowsley Road was a Junior School. I attended from aged 9 to 11

Oh long time ago Alan, I remember we just called it St Lukes.

I do remember coming home from St Teresa's school and there was a building of some sort next to St Lukes church and all the little ones were asleep in camp beds, but my memory isn't what it was sadly.

St Luke's church on Knowsley Road is CofE - so this adds to the confusion Alan. Are you not thinking of St Teresa's in Devon Street?

Gilly - was the senior school for Holy Cross a separate building from the Holy Cross junior school?

Yes Dave,it was in the building behind the church facing the side of the theatre.The playground was Parade st.

Yes' your right Dave it is C of E I got married there after goung to St Teresa's catholic school.

The school must have been called Knowsley Rd by some people and St Lukes by others, because there was no other school there.

I just had a word with my mum and she said that St Lukes and Knowsley Road schools were separate - both CofE.

So Knowsley Road was just a junior school (no infants)?

9) St Austins - did this ever have senior pupils?

Well I always thought it was just one school, but I never knew anyone who went there, so your mum is probably right Dave.:rolleyes:

4) 'St Mary's' at Keswick Road - was this only a primary school (not secondary)?

Secondary!! You had to be 11 to go there I know because I attened It that why i am thick :yes:

Dave, you're right. I was confusing St Lukes with St Teresas. Knowsley Road School was on corner of Cambridge Road and Knowsley Road and had no infants - I'm sure it wasn't demolished that long ago. Maybe its regular infant feeder school was St Lukes (although I went there from Rivvi Road at age of 9) and that's where the confusion arises

Thanks. Still a way to go, but it'll eventually be a web table and we can put details, pictures and allow comments on each entry - along with an option for members to put whether they attended a school, between which years, etc.

There was Sutton National on Ellamsbridge Rd. It was demolished maybe 60's or 70's (I left there in 1959) and Sutton Oak was built as a replacement

Central Modern was formerly known as Higher Grade

Dave - Great List !

Just a query -

You've got Windle School on Hammill Street and St.Thomas of Canterbury on Rainford Road - I thought the school on Hammill Street WAS St.Thomas of Canterbury :dunno: . I was under the impression that the Infants was on one side of Hammill Street and the Juniors on the other side.

The only school that I knew of on Rainford Road was the 'Open Air School' otherwise known as the Hamblett.

I could be wrong - it's 40yrs since I left St.Helens - but I know my Dad's brother went to the Open Air School on Rainford Road - something to do with missing lots of school due to Asthma.

Wasn't the school attached to St Thomas of Canterbury Church called Windleshaw?

Holy Sprit - Brunswick St, was this St Vincents, it's the only RC school I can think of in Brunswick St.

Parr - Derbyshire Hill Rd, the only school that I ever remember being on DHR was Ashtons Green School for the (mentally) handicapped.

Maybe it's been confused with Parr Central.

St Anslam's and St Augustine's are the same school.

Wasn't this one on West End Road called St John Vianney too?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.465522,-2.695337&spn=0.000722,0.001698&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.465522,-2.695337&panoid=8pCyNxfzwi9Xg8OEbpfLLg&cbp=12,139.96,,0,7.84

I see the mix-up.

Parr Central changed it's name to Parr High before it was closed and demolished.

The main address was Stocks Avenue.

Willow tree is on Willow Tree Ave.

Dave.

Please include St.Patricks RC Primary on Greenbank.

Not sure if the address was Bold St. or Greenbank Crescent. When I attended there it was us toddlers 5 -7 yrs old downstairs,and (much older than us)- girls upstairs. Miss Gallagher and Sister Marcella,being the most prominent teachers in memory.

After it closed it's doors as a school it doubled as a youth club/Sunday night "disco" if thats the correct description for bands playing to teenage adolescents.It also hosted Sacred Heart scout and cubs groups for quite a number of years.

Windleshaw Infants (now a private nursery school)was a single story school on Hammill St, next to Lathoms Chippy, originally Billy Horton's carpets. Windleshaw Juniors (now demolished)was on the other side of Hammill st adjoining the church. the infants and juniors are now combined on Rainford Rd and known as St Thomas of Canterbury.

The infants school was a gift from the Gerard Family and the juniors had a chapel upstairs prior to the church being built.

This is where I am up to now:

https://spreadsheets..g2Tm8xSWc&hl=en

What's missing?

Just thought of one already - Laffak - was it infants and juniors?

Laffak school was infants only. When it closed Burkhill bought it and used it for storage.Clancy will probably correct us as I think she went to Laffak school.

Added St Patricks.

Amended Windleshaw St Thos. of C.

Le200 - the Parr schools - I'm still not sure what to do with them. Might leave those for a bit. The info is on the thread anyway.

Dick D - I think we'll wait to see if Clancy can confirm.