Sign in to follow this  
j c

Rothery Radio in Ormskirk Street.

Jonmuse have a word with Nanny Ogg.

Hi Swimmer thanks for that, I think Nanny Ogg must be the older of Harold and Mary's daughters and if she speaks to her mother and mentions the Rotary Club, Mary will know who I am and hopefully will get her to let me know how they are all getting on.

Please reply Nanny Ogg when you see this

Edited by jonmuse

I will be speaking to her in chat tonight will let her know for you.

I'm still not too familiar with the working of the site. Nanny Ogg mentions catching up on PM, I don't know what that is but have replied to a personal message she sent via the Connect site so hopefully she'll make further contact. Meanwhile I think I'd better get more familiar with the site.Thanks for your help swimmer. (By the way I'm an ex Blackbrooker.)

Edited by jonmuse

Hi Jonmuse. You are welcome. Nanny Ogg has pm you and that is what she was talking about your personal message on here. If you need any more help email me. (pm)

I remember Rothery's well! I lived just a minute away and used to go there regularly watching people listening to music in those booths Saw the Everly Brothers there and got their autograph!

I also remember Harold Stott's and 2 staff who worked there, Christine and Carole though I think that was in the late 70's

This could have been Christine Martindale. She was mates with Carole O'Hare who worked in the service department, although there was also another Carole who worked in the shop.

I new Stotty,worked for him at Rotherys and at his own place in Liverpool Rd,only worked for him 3 weeks at LP road,could not get on with him.He was a bit of a bugger to work for at Rothery's.I remember Van Voll and Jan prinsloo.I new Jan better than Van Voll. One day I was going up to the shop from the service departmant in Lowe steet ,Jan was going up there also,but in his car he said get in Jim.I will give you a lift. He took off and didn't stop untill we reached the record shop,he shot across every crossing,T junction,needless to say when I opened my eyes I needed a change of underwear.He just laughted,he was great but crazey.

To fill in some of the missing names,Neville (Mc Millan) and Norman( Trainer).Norman suffered from suger for years,was on injections from a very early as an apprentice with me.I heared he passed away some years ago.Never seen or heard of Neville since he moved away, he lived next door but one to me for years.

I new Frank Ellision,John Barker,Tom Harris, and most of the techies you mentioned.Thanks for the theme,its brought back many great memories of my apprentice days at Rothery Radio.

Moodys OH

Neville McMillan married Carole O'Hare (my mum and dad). He stayed with Stotties and the companies that took it over, and ending up working at Bennetts until the company closed. He then worked at Baybutts in Burcough before starting up on his own in the mid to late 90's. He worked for himself and lived in Windle from then until he died 3 years ago.

I've been reading this thread with my mum and she remembers the majority of the people mentioned here. She's still friendly with Christine Martindale too.

Edited by Rachielizzie

Hello and welcome.gif to Connect, Rachielizzie.

Hope you and your mum find lots more of interest on here. I remember Rothery's with great delight - spent most of my pocket money in there from 1962-67. After that, it was my wages getting spent wink.png.

One 'bright spark' behind the counter once told me to make up my mind for asking for this record -

Hello and :welcome: to Connect, Rachielizzie.

Hope you and your mum find lots more of interest on here. I remember Rothery's with great delight - spent most of my pocket money in there from 1962-67. After that, it was my wages getting spent ;).

One 'bright spark' behind the counter once told me to make up my mind for asking for this record -

[url="

Edited by Olliebeak

Oh, Rothery Radio. Remember ordering the Creedence Clearwater Revival's song 'Up Around The Bend' from here in the 1960s. Had a crush as well on the counter assistant named Sheila. wub.png

Hi just thought i would add a few thoughts as well.Yes voll worked there .they had the corner house in calderhurst drive eccleston when they lived over here.Does anyone remember a bloke called Les Charnock-If I'm right he worked in the record dept.Do remember a girl who also worked in record shop.If anyone goes to foto site for boundary road they will see a shot of junction kirkland st.I seem to remember she lived in house next to garage/carshowroom.I cant remember her name but it could have been one of those already mentioned?I also got my first grundig tape recorder from shop 10 bob pw.Also used the repair shop in Lowe st as well.Why was it called Rothery Radio?

Hi Nanny Ogg,

nice to see you on-line again. I answered quite a few of the points raised on page 4 of this topic, concerning the staff at Rotherys. The girls in the record dept. in Ormskirk St were:-

Pat,(who later became Manager) Janet, & Sheila,Later a young girl named Susan joined the staff but I can't remember the names of others. Les Charnock became Area Manager when Fred Dawes took the business over and Pat was then i/c the shop.

I can still remember nearly all the Sales & Service personnel and come into contact with a few of them to this day.

The manager of the record shop was Les Charnock a good friend of mine who lived in Parr-Stocks Rd. Tommy Voll, did work there for a short time

& indeed Les was GodFather to his son Keith. The opening ceromony for the record shop was performed by Frankie Vaughn.

Sorry, Rachielizzie, missed your post! I remember Neville well, and am sorry to hear he died. I do remember seeing some little ball of fluff being brought into the service department at Stott's, but you've probably changed since then.

hi newbey i was in the crowd watching emile ford come to rotherys also for marvin rainwater

Into the Booth ,headphones on ,and ,12 th STEET RAG,( PEE WEE HUNT ) GREAT,,,,

HI Rach, sorry to hear about your dad, I knew him well. he was a lovely man we had many a chat when he lived on Low Bank RD, in the mid 60's.

Hi Rach

your dad did several repairs to my TV and audio units when he worked on his own. I knew him well and worked with both him and your Mum for a few years at Stotts before and after George Sturlas took the business over. The last time I saw your Mum was at Fairfield some years ago. I hope she is keeping well and send my best wishes.

Into the Booth ,headphones on ,and ,12 th STEET RAG,( PEE WEE HUNT ) GREAT,,,,

the booths didn't have headphones, they had a speaker above you head as you entered and turned around. The panels were painted green and had little holes drilled in them the enhance the acoustics

I think I remember Headphones too at one time?

Bought My first Colour TV from Rothery Radio a "Bush" about 19" screen size seemed big then, that would be about 1970

In the Prescot branch the listening booths were a rubbish shade of pink.

Learn summat new everyday - I didn't even know that Prescot had a branch of Rothery's! Where was it, les?

First time inside the booths 1961 last time 1966 they did'nt have headphones between those years,you just stood and listened to what you had asked for,one that sticks out in my mind is Roy Orbison singing ln Dreams 1963.l didn't know they had one in Prescot.

Hi Ollie

Rothery's record shop was in Eccleston St and the Radio /TV showroom was in Aspinall St. Later the record Dept moved into the bigger TV shop. The original Record Manager was Tom Smart and then Rita Ireland who took over at Aspinall Street.

There was also a Rotherys in Gerard St. Ashton-in-Makerfield.

Thanks for that, jonmuse :D. Have to admit to not frequenting Prescot on a regular basis in my teens.

Though for some reason, there's a bit of hazy memory of a 'pub crawl' involving the Deane's House and Bath Springs :beer: