Sign in to follow this  
warringtonsaint

Corner Shops

Guest Rubber Ducky

Further to my comment #61, I was talking to my mum & sister the other day via skype video and I will agree with Swimmer & phill these time zones are a killer England,scotland.usa, and Australia, talk about be ganged up on, this is my sister & mother's answer :roflmao: (how to get to side step out of it) my sister said but I'm 18 months younger than you and you were my older brother so you were supposed to take care of me if I make a mistake, then my mum said yea but in THOSE DAY'S you were very shy so we had't to get you out of your shyness :rolleyes: and according to you wife it worked, so how can you win? with WOMEN'S LOGIC

Edited by rubber ducky 49

... so how can you win? with WOMEN'S LOGIC

You CAN'T, rd - no point in even beginning to try :roflmao: .

Guest Rubber Ducky

There's a very very old saying Ollie, by the time aman understands the loglic of a woman he will 10000 years old :rolleyes: and I agee with that

Does anyone remember DICKY GLOVER'S chip shop in Corporation street, facing the Theatre Royal, a little lower down from THE SLIPIN CAFE. Also the EL TOREADOR cafe, corner of Bickerstaffe street (opposite corner of back end of RIVOLI.) Then there was ALMA's cafe, Fingerpost, the TEMPERANCE BAR in Liverpool Road. An unknown named milk bar around the bottom corner of Cropper's hill. THE LINGHOLME SPA in Dentons Green Lane (facing Lingholme hotel.) THE CONTINENTAL in Duke street.(run by Mrs Gaskell, A polite lady who would stand no hanky-pankying from any of us "then" teenagers. Those cafes were all haunts of the 50's and maybe earlier. I was just an innocent kid of 14 in those days. There were of course some unsavoury characters knocking about who I would do my utmost to avoid at the time.

HI, Dickie Glover was my grandma`s brother. Elizabeth Glover married Gregory Fishwick (my Grandparents)They owned Fishwick`s fireplace shop in Westfield st.

It was on the opposite corner to Beechams no 47.

Anyone remember the little sweet shop on North Road, on the corner beside the Catholic church, opposite the convent? Used to go there all the time and get a twist of cherry lips for a farthing. Cried when they got rid of farthings, I loved the little robin on them.

Edited by Nanny Ogg

Hi Nanny Ogg, The little sweet shop was Dennetts, I think that's how it was spelt.

Anyway, Mr. and Mrs. Dennett also used to help in Lowe House School and the

Church when I was there. Him and his wife were lovely people, very kind and helpful.

Edited by Phyll

That's right! All sorts of things are coming back. I spent 8 years at the convent school, aged 3-11. I once told Sister Mary that I wanted to be a nun and she laughed, and laughed ..

Hi, Yes all sorts of memories come back on here. I'd better not digress, sent you a PM.

Hi Nanny Ogg, The little sweet shop was Dennetts, I think that's how it was spelt.

Anyway, Mr. and Mrs. Dennett also used to help in Lowe House School and the

Church when I was there. Him and his wife were lovely people, very kind and helpful.

Mr and Mrs Dennett's daughter played the carillon at Lowe House Church. Here is a link showing her

http://www.stmaryslowehouse.co.uk/gallery/v/stmaryslowehouse/album02/

Didn't the Mother, Mrs. Dora Dennett play The Carillon first though in 1930.

At least that's what My Mum told me and the story is told on the same site.

I think that's her on the older photos.

http://www.stmaryslo..es/the-carillon

Edited by Phyll

I think the younger of the ladies is Mrs Garner, Mrs Dennets daughter. Her daughter Christine was in my class at Lowe House school and I think she went on to play it as well.

Hi Bridger, What years were you at Lowe House? I was there, 60-65.

My Sister Celia was there before I was. We both went to Gerards Bridge too.

Phyll, I was there well before you 53-57 and I was at Gerard School before that.

Talking of which I found an old photo of Gerard School in a Church Bazaar magazine. I'll try and upload it.

Sorry, it didn't work, someone will have to tell me how to upload it.

Oh Thanks Bridger, would love to see it, wish I could help you, but uploading not my forte.

Do your best.

Guest Honey

to upload go to Choose files, Attach File, search for the image that you've saved, if you're not sure how to do so then feel free to message me and I'll walk you through itsmile.png

Nanny Ogg, I hate to be picky but the bird on a farthing was a Wren not a Robin. The smallest British bird for the smallest British coin. Les smile.png

You rotter! For 60 years I have believed it was a robin! Looked like one.

Thre was also Robinsons Butchers on the corner of Oxford st/Cooper st.

There was also a chippie on Cooper st, between oxford st/Cowley hill lane, But I can't remember the name ?

Nanny Ogg, I hate to be picky but the bird on a farthing was a Wren not a Robin. The smallest British bird for the smallest British coin. Les smile.png

I also hate to be picky but The smallest British bird is the Goldcrest

Len Warren the baker in Woodlands rd. Haresfinch. Always packed out and lovely bread

I well remember this shop - I lived in Roland Ave and as a kid went to get me mum's bread on a Saturday - used to get a white plain loaf in a white paper and couldn't resist having a nibble off the corner!!! Mr.Warren had a dog Paddy who would let him into the bakery at the back of the shop but wouldnlt let him out again!! Mr.Warren also used to flick tins off his top shelves with a stick and catch 'em before they fit the floor and he always went round his regular customers News Years Eve - late 50's, early 60's. Martins was the paper shop and where I bought a "commy volly" to go train spotting down the rally off Chadwich Rd.

Don't want to appear sizeist but they are both 3.5".ohyeah.gif

All the records say the Goldcrest is the smallest bird and the smallest coin was the silver 3d which we used to get in the Christmas cake

I must be younget than you Kneeshin, our silver coins were sixpences.

Kneeshin, and I thought I was picky, by size I meant denomination not area. Nanny the silver 39 were known as "Joies" well they were in Prescot. Les

RE SHOPS THEONE ON THE CORNER OF TALBOT AND FENTON ST WAS CHISNALS , AND THE PIE SHOP IN KIRKLAND ST WAS GLOVERS THEN CAINS MEAT AND POTATO PIES TWOPENCE HALFPENNIY . STEAK PIES THREEPENCE ,OLD MONEY OF COURSE NOT THE MICKY MOUSE STUFF WE HAVE NOW .