Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handsome Johnny

sidac club

anyone else go to the friday night discos at the sidac club? the only place in town where you could pee up hill..

Well, I wouldn't know about the peeing bit, but I used to go.

I remember we had a good time and danced our socks off!

:cocktail::music_dj::dribble:

I used to go on Saturday nights with Mrs JMoSH there was a very good resident singer then.

H J if you pee up a hill bet got wet feet :groucho:

Me dad had a position in Sidac after many years of service, as a child I went to a few childrens parties, but as you know back then you just got little jelly things and tiny sandwiches..Should I love those days?

In the mid 60's early70's they had a ''Beat night'' on a Saturday night.Mind you it had to have break at 9pm for the bingo.

Before they built the new club in 1971/2 ,there used to be a pipe in the bar,and if you put a snooker ball on it ,it would run uphill.

The doorman was a miserable get called Ken Helsby.He was foreman fitter in Pakcel.

my dad worked behing the bar as well as in the fitters shop at the factory, all the people working in the club appeared to be be factory employees as well.

phyll how strange that we could have had a dance together in the disco yet here we are years later talking about the club with nostalgia..

Maybe, but I mostly remember us girls dancing in a circle, with our handbags in the middle. :roflmao:

Well, I definitely didn't dance with you if that's how you speak to young ladies! :yikes:

Are well H.J looks like you will have to get a Handbag to dance around on your own :date::play_ball::ymca:

Me dad had a position in Sidac after many years of service, as a child I went to a few childrens parties, but as you know back then you just got little jelly things and tiny sandwiches..Should I love those days?

Pete, I used to love those Sidac parties when I was a little girl. I thought they were magical :)

My Dad used to bring home lots of rolls of different coloured cellophane and we would make our Christmas decorations out of it..cut it up, twist and make bows then thread them on very long cotton thread.

Christmas was one time I absolutely loved as a little child, mainly thanks to Sidac.

Handsome whats your Dads name ? I was an apprentice fitter, then did 6 months as a fitter at Sidac betweeen 1968 and 1975.

St Annes had a brill disco 68/69 on a Sunday night as did Sutton Cricket club,trouble was the cricket club was licensed.Coming from Rainhill, we used to walk along the railway,it only took 20 minutes.

Handsome whats your Dads name ? I was an apprentice fitter, then did 6 months as a fitter at Sidac betweeen 1968 and 1975.

St Annes had a brill disco 68/69 on a Sunday night as did Sutton Cricket club,trouble was the cricket club was licensed.Coming from Rainhill, we used to walk along the railway,it only took 20 minutes.

Your second name isn't Lovett by any chance ?

In the mid 60's early70's they had a ''Beat night'' on a Saturday night.Mind you it had to have break at 9pm for the bingo.

Before they built the new club in 1971/2 ,there used to be a pipe in the bar,and if you put a snooker ball on it ,it would run uphill.

The doorman was a miserable get called Ken Helsby.He was foreman fitter in Pakcel.

The doorman was Harry Edwards who was a guillotine operator in "Sorting and Cutting" dept.

Saturday nights there was always a long queue waiting to get in but with me working at Sidac, just walked in.

A stunt I often pulled was to say to two fellas at the back of the queue "Come in with me and I'll sign you in for a pint off each of you"

They got in half an hour earlier and I got two pints, everyone's a winner

Yes I'm Geoff Lovett apprentice fitter by the grace of God.I remember Harry,Ken Helsby must have hung around the door like a bad smell.Spent a yr in Pakcel when it moved over the road.I still keep in touch with Aggie Howard ,Mike Tucker,and ''Young''Phil Hughes.

Who are you then?

Well bugger me.Hows it going Trev me owl mate?Did you work at Sidac right to the end in 1982?

I saw Frank Pick died last yr,do you know if any of the other lads have passed away? I get a bit and I mean a bit of info from Phil,he still sees Barry Holland and an 80odd yr old Joe Arnold.

You can get a lot of of local info on the "St Helens Reporter" and "St Helens Star" web sites.

I saw Frank Picks death on the Reporter web site, bit of a shock !

I've lost touch with everybody from Sidac cept for Bernie Derbyshire ( inst. mech ) We were at Suttons Tankers together and the foreman who interviewed me for the job was Bernard Ashcroft

You still working Trev?

I also keep in touch with Frank Seagreaves,I worked with him at Fiddlers Ferry before we came down under.He came over for the League world cup,got rat arsed in Brisbane with him and Sue.

Finished work nearly 3 years ago ( arthritis in left knee )

Here's a question for you..What was Frank Pick's nickname for you ?

Frank lives around the back of where I live, opposite Alan Pennington who used to deejay at the Cricket club

Frank Lived at 44 Farndon Ave just off Walkers lane Lane.He died last yr aged 59.

Shit Trev, Frank called me allsorts,he was one of the funniest men I ever knew.He was also the best man at my wedding.You had better enlighten me.I remember him winning boilerhouse swearword of the year with ''Curried Christ''.

DJ, is that the Allan Pennington who married Sylvia Oaks?

It certainly is Geoff,it must be different Frank Seagraves that I know