Sign in to follow this  
anjela

stockley family of prescot

Great news Dickie, :thumb: love it when things come together like that,not least cos I can get some other things done at home lol, like feeding kids properly and washing socks etc.

Actually, Ive just spent days buried in military records and births overseas records(East India and Channel Island mainly) and I noticed that you can search BMDs for Ionian Islands on Findmypast. Have you seen them? its only a couple of quid for pay as you go for 60 credits and you can search for 1 credit each search.

Thanks for letting me know anyway and Happy New Year to you.

Reading these posts got me thinking about my sister in law whose maiden name was Stockley, so I did a bit of digging and found out that her dad's name was Sandyland Stockley and her mum was Clara Eden, they married in 1919.

That might be the same Sandyland Stockley as I have on my "Also Served" pages on my website. I also have Thomas and William Stockley x 2) on there.

hi everyone sorry i havent been on for a while had to take a break from m research. it seems we are related john stockley 1796 son of thomas and mary was my ggg grandfather his son sandiland 1838 was my gg grandfather his son also sandiland 1869 was my g grandfather and my grandfather sandiland was born in 1913. (quite confusing i know) my father james also had a brother with the same name but he sadly passed away last yr. i am stuck as to who are the parents of thomas stockley i have it as a john stockley but i cant find any records about him. i have found some which lead back to america but i have no clear evidence to support this yet thankyou for all your interest in this topic i was quite surprised as to how much interest there was. speak to you all soon anjela x

from our FINNEY tree for Angela 5 Margaret Alice FINNEY b: Sep 1877,8b 660,twin, married Dec 1897,Whiston, St.Nicholas,8b 1130 (correct)

+ Edward STOCKLEY. Edward Stockley 1875 at 11 Johnsons Court 65b 28 3016 Prescot "Prescot .Why does he say he is single in 1901 census and Margaret Alice says she is married?

6 Esther STOCKLEY b: 1899 Prescot .Visitors at Rg 13/3510 which is a private house off Cronton Rd. of Margaret Alice,s sister, Mary SUMNER.

6Stockley Margaret b: Mar 1900 Prescot 8b 858

6 Stockley Sandiland b: Mar 1902 Prescot 8b 759

6Births Jun 1903 Stockley Alice Jane Prescot 8b 757 , Stockley John Prescot 8b 758

6 Births Sep 1912 Stockley Edward Finney mother Prescot 8b 1449

1881 Sandyland STOCKLEY Head M Male 43 Prescot, Lancashire, England Coal Miner

Esther STOCKLEY Wife M Female 36 Whiston, Lancashire, England Coal Miner Wife

Jane STOCKLEY Daur U Female 21 Prescot, Lancashire, England General Servant

John STOCKLEY Son U Male 17 Prescot, Lancashire, England Coal Miner

Zaccharus STOCKLEY Son Male 15 Prescot, Lancashire, England Coal Miner

Sandyland STOCKLEY Son Male 12 Prescot, Lancashire, England Scholar

Edward STOCKLEY Son Male 6 Prescot, Lancashire, England Scholar

Susanna STOCKLEY Daur Female 2 Prescot, Lancashire, England

Thomas STOCKLEY Son Male 1 Prescot, Lancashire, England

Elizabeth BERRELL Boarder U Female 20 Whiston, Lancashire, England Colliery Bank Woman

Source Information:

Dwelling Sewell St No 22

Census Place Prescot, Lancashire, England

Family History Library Film 1341893

Public Records Office Reference RG11

Piece / Folio 3729 / 105

Page Number 21

Rgds Ed Finney of Guelph, Ontario

• Like (+1) 1

Hi

My name is Jim Stockley, the grandson of James Stockley, who was the brother of Sandy Stockley who served in WW1. James lived until 1974. But our understanding is that Sandy died not long after the war. with family attributing his death to his experience in the war. Mainly being up to his waist in mud for much of the time. Having started researching my family I have come across the same information as others. My father Ralph (still going strong at 84)used to have a family bible that referenced family tree names going back to early 19th century, this included reference to Corfu. Sadly this has been lost some time over the years.

My Dad was born in Prescot before the family moved to London.

Still it is fascinating to see other Stockleys to whom I must have some family connection.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi

I have a Margaret Stockley born 1823 Prescot daughter of William and Margaret she lived in Shig lane

Shelagh

Hi,

Snig Lane is old name for Sewell Street.

John

Hi

Thank you John I didn't know that, I have just Googled Sewell Street Prescot and there is a old black and white picture of the street its really good I have both Stockleys and Swifts who resided in this Street in the 1850s

Shelagh

Hi

I have a Margaret Stockley born 1823 Prescot daughter of William and Margaret she lived in Shig lane

Shelagh

hi shelagh.

i have a margaret stockley born ab 1822 do you have the maiden name of margarets mother

Autumn

• Like (+1) 1

Hi,

Marriage between Walter Stockley and Margaret Sixsmith took place at Rainford Parish Church 3 Jan 1804

Regards

John

Hi John

Sorry for late reply had a problem with log in i do have thier marriage, Margaret died in 1859 as yet i havent found Williams death

Shelagh

Dickie Mint - Your ggmother was Mary Whitehead, the daughter of Simeon Whitehead and Elizabeth Abraham. I believe that Elizabeth Abraham was the sister of my great grandfather, John Abraham who came to the states in 1881 as a young lad of 20. Do you have any information on Elizabeth Abraham?

Hello Sonno3. Simeon whitehead was killed down the pit in 1886. His widow Elizabeth nee Abraham was to re marry to a James Orford in Prescot in June 1889.Elizabeths and James children were;Ann and Arthur b 17/11/1892 baptised 25 jan 1893.Henry b 1st jan 1896, baptised 22 jan 1896 and buried nov 1898 age 2yrs. James b 20 dec 1898, baptised 5 april 1889. Kate b 20july 1889, baptised 17 nov 1889.--- Arthur, Henry and Peter(b,d,?) McCully are buried with Simeon whitehead in St Marys, Prescot.

Elizabeth and Simeon had three children ;Mary b1880,William b1884 and Edward b1885, hence when Simeon was killed she was left a young widow with three young children.

In the 1901 census you will find Mary Whitehead living with her grandfather Henry Abraham in St Helens road Prescot. I havent done a lot of research into Elizabeth and her family as yet but will endeavor to do so in the near future. Many regards, Dave.

Hi,

You may well have this but just in case Simeon Whitehead married Elizabeth Abrahams 12 Aug 1878 at St Helens Parish Church.

According to 1881 Census Whiteheads living in Sewell Street, Prescot.

Simeon aged 22 born Whiston and Elizabeth 21 b Prescot.

Looking at 1871 Census Elizabeth probably living at 8 St Helens Road, Prescot

Henry Abraham Head 32 Watch Hand Maker

Mary wife 31

Elizabeth d 11 scholar

Ann d 9 scholar

Henry son 7 scholar

Mary d 6

Ellen d 3

Jane d 1

All family born Prescot

Regards

John

Edited by jvy20

Thankyou John, have this date and the certificate. Was in st helens library recently looking at Prescot and huyton newspaper archives.Found a report on the pit accident re Simeon, quite interesting(and graphic), also the inquest was held at the Carrs Hotel in Whiston !.I imagine it took place there due to the proximity of the Carrs colliery which would more or less have been opposite the hotel.

Hi to you all and greetings from East of the Pennines. Hope I am not too late to join your party; I’ve only just found your website and Anjela’s thread.

I am looking for an Edward born around 1768 according to the age when buried on 17/6/1840 Prescot, and cannot find one. Can anyone help?

My mother was one of the Stockleys from Accrington – her father Alfred founded the confectionary firm there with his cousin, and it’s still going. His father, also Alfred, left Prescot to set up his own clock business. The family story is that he was in disgrace for getting the maid (Annie Brownbill) pregnant, and then marrying her!

Alfred’s father was James a watchmaker (bap 4/3/1821 Prescot), 2nd of 3 Illegitimate boys of Mary, all by a miner called Henry Molyneux. Mary never married, and died in Prescot in 1845. I think her father is the Edward I seek, assuming she was the 2nd of 4 children of Edward & Mary Ashcroft (m 3/5/1790 Prescot).

If our family is linked to those of the Sandylands, it must be further back

Hi, sorry for a late addition to the thread. My 3xgt-grandfather was William Stockley (1810-1854), son of William Stockley (1779-1830) and Margaret Sixsmith (1781-1859). From Lancs Parish Clerks I think William Sr. was the youngest son of the 'brewer' John Stockley (1731-1792) and his wife Mary (d.1784) - their other children included the Thomas (1757-1816) and Edward (1768-1840) already mentioned by members.

Now I know that John was the son of another John Stockley (d.1748) and his second wife Ann Shaw (?1707-1782), and the elder John was a yeoman farmer and beer brewer at Prescot Hall (I'm guessing that's not as impressive as it sounds?) - but beyond that there's a bit of a gap in Stockleys appearing in the Prescot parish records. There are a couple of possible baptisms for John in West Derby in 1697 and 1704, which look likely since he's described as a 'yeoman of Walton' at his first(?) marriage (at Warrington in 1725, to Ann Shaw's sister or cousin Mary)..

Has anyone had more luck getting further back? I'd love to link them up with the Stockleys in Prescot in the 1500s and early 1600s, and the same names crop up (Edward, Catherine, Richard, etc), but it's not looking too hopeful.. Thanks!

My surname is also Stockley but my G'ma was from Everton & G'dad from a different part of Liverpool but resided in Prescot post marriage.

Hi to you all and greetings from East of the Pennines. Hope I am not too late to join your party; I’ve only just found your website and Anjela’s thread.

I am looking for an Edward born around 1768 according to the age when buried on 17/6/1840 Prescot, and cannot find one. Can anyone help?

My mother was one of the Stockleys from Accrington – her father Alfred founded the confectionary firm there with his cousin, and it’s still going. His father, also Alfred, left Prescot to set up his own clock business. The family story is that he was in disgrace for getting the maid (Annie Brownbill) pregnant, and then marrying her!

Alfred’s father was James a watchmaker (bap 4/3/1821 Prescot), 2nd of 3 Illegitimate boys of Mary, all by a miner called Henry Molyneux. Mary never married, and died in Prescot in 1845. I think her father is the Edward I seek, assuming she was the 2nd of 4 children of Edward & Mary Ashcroft (m 3/5/1790 Prescot).

If our family is linked to those of the Sandylands, it must be further back

Hi richardsc, I'm the great great granddaughter of Mildred Evelyn Stockley whose father was Alfred Stockley whom you mentioned was in family disgrace due to him getting Annie Brownbill the maid, pregnant. He did the honourable thing and married her. Not too sure about the Alfred Stockley setting up the sweet business though. I have always been told by my aunt whose mother was sister to Mildred Evelyn that it was her (my aunt's) mother's brother Malcolm Stockley who set up the sweet business. Indeed my grandma has a photograph of the family's stall in the Market Hall, Bolton (is now the Market Place and has been re-developed into a shopping centre). It is still going as you say but is no longer owned by the family and has been taken over several times. There is a kind of museum in Oswaldtwistle Mill where you can see some of the Stockley sweets being made (although not all of them are the original sweets which Stockleys used to make, they have introduced some new lines under the Stockley name). Hope to hear from you soon with some more Stockley family tales.

Also do you know anything about Prescot Hall? Have googled it but have not been able to find anything about it.

Edited by Stockley1989

Stockley households in Prescot in 1911 (from the Enumerator's Summary Books)

Stockley.png

Edited by stephen nulty

Hi richardsc, I'm the great great granddaughter of Mildred Evelyn Stockley whose father was Alfred Stockley whom you mentioned was in family disgrace due to him getting Annie Brownbill the maid, pregnant. He did the honourable thing and married her. Not too sure about the Alfred Stockley setting up the sweet business though. I have always been told by my aunt whose mother was sister to Mildred Evelyn that it was her (my aunt's) mother's brother Malcolm Stockley who set up the sweet business. Indeed my grandma has a photograph of the family's stall in the Market Hall, Bolton (is now the Market Place and has been re-developed into a shopping centre). It is still going as you say but is no longer owned by the family and has been taken over several times. There is a kind of museum in Oswaldtwistle Mill where you can see some of the Stockley sweets being made (although not all of them are the original sweets which Stockleys used to make, they have introduced some new lines under the Stockley name). Hope to hear from you soon with some more Stockley family tales.

Also do you know anything about Prescot Hall? Have googled it but have not been able to find anything about it.

Hi Stockley 1989. Yes, sorry, but there are 2 errors in that post, but as I have still not found out how to edit them, they will have to stay there!! Alfred [1899 - 1983], my grandfather, started the sweet business with his elder brother Malcolm Vincent [1888 - 1944], Alfred being the confectioner, and Malcolm the salesman. According to my mother, there was an almighty bust-up in 1925, Alfred leaving the business, and going to Leeds to join a nougat company, and then on to Bellamy's of Castleford as head confectioner, where he remained until they were taken over by Mackintoshes of Halifax. Brothers William Edgar & Stephen Naylor were also in the Leeds area, and I grew up knowing the children and grandchildren of the latter. The family rift was so deep that I never got to know those that remained in Accrington, other than Annie [swarbrick]. You are right that Amy, Evelyn, and eventually other family members went to work in the business.

Stephen's son Alfred [1925 - 2011] was trying to put a tree together, and I have carried it on. I have got back to the John [1731-92] and Mary Webster, but not via Edward as I first thought, but via his elder sister Catherine [1765-1840]. Alfred's funeral in November last, and his sister Cynthia's in January, gave this part of the family a couple of opportunities to get together after many years

As for Prescot Hall, I know nothing, other than John and Ann Shaw, the parents of John [1731], lived there when most of the children were baptised. There are a lot of land transactions in the lancashire archives involving Stockleys in the 1600's, but as I like Sue have hit a wall with John born ca 1700, I have not followed them through yet.

Incidentally, I believe your parents are vaguely in touch with my Mum Margaret [1925-], and so, should you wish, you could get in touch via that route

Hi

I have recently discovered information about John Stockley (born 1703/4), that his father also John was born in 1670 and was married to Charity Gelding who is from Virginia in the USA. Unfortunately I haven't found anything else out at this time. Will post more when I do.

Stockley1989

Hi everyone,

Have been trying to unravel the mystery surrounding William Rushton Stockley's father. His mother (my great-grandmother) is Mildred Evelyn Stockley and I've heard that WR's father could have been killed during the first world war. However there is no father's name on the birth certificate. Wondering if anyone could help? I have had correspondence with richardsc but thought I would open it up wider to see if anyone else knows anything.