Sign in to follow this  
seaboy

Does anyone remember edmund campion

I remember them building a new school for West Park by Notre Dame,did they keep these buildings for De La Salle?

I remember them building a new school for West Park by Notre Dame,did they keep these buildings for De La Salle?

The old West Park school suffered a similar fate as Eddy Camp in that there is now a housing estate on the original site of the school. In fact I'm sat in one of the said houses penning this reply !

The current De la Salle school is about to undergo a massive redevelopment, which local residents fear will culminate in more pupils attending the school. Their fears centre around the horrendous traffic chaos that is currently caused by school buses parking along half the length of Alder Hey Road. Bigger school = more buses = greater chaos !!

The original West Park was on Prescot Rd.The "new" school was built in Alder Hey Rd in the mid 60's.It is the new one that was demolished for an housing estate.I think the brothers' house is still there though?

Does anyone have any photos of the School Orchestra about the time of Noah"s flood I think it was in 1973 or 74,or does any one recall the Orchestra and its members,

Edited by antony

My hubby was at Eddie Camp in the seventies and another name he remembers is Miss Jameson, taught french and later married Mr Simms, not sure what he taught though.

post-5540-0-15047500-1298122579_thumb.jpg

Found this old newspaper cutting whilst rifling through my drawers today. Its a poor reproduction (taken out of The Star in 1997 ! Does anyone recognise any of these faces. - Graham Liptrot apart.

I remember most of them,as they were a year above me,but are you right about the date? This photo must have been taken about 72/73.Brian Middlehust was my form master one year,(cant remember which)steve davies or davvo,and baz shea were popular at the school with all ages.didn't Baz meet with a bad accident?.And being a greenbanker,there is one lad you must remember,he has a few brothers.

In fact,looking at it again,I remember Terry Manley,he lived in eldon street round the corner from me.

My hubby was at Eddie Camp in the seventies and another name he remembers is Miss Jameson, taught french and later married Mr Simms, not sure what he taught though.

He taught Geography. I vaguely remember Mrs Jamieson. I think she was a 1st year form tutor in 76/77.

I remember most of them,as they were a year above me,but are you right about the date? This photo must have been taken about 72/73.Brian Middlehust was my form master one year,(cant remember which)steve davies or davvo,and baz shea were popular at the school with all ages.didn't Baz meet with a bad accident?.And being a greenbanker,there is one lad you must remember,he has a few brothers.

In fact,looking at it again,I remember Terry Manley,he lived in eldon street round the corner from me.

Terry Manley now works at Fibreglass (Knauf) as does Les Smith who submitted the photo to The Star.

Barry Shea did meet an untimely death,probably a year or so after this picture was taken IIRC. Car accident I think. He had an older brother Alan,at the school who was also quite an all round sportsman.

One other lad in the picture Kieron Flynn also died suddenly while still a teenager.

Life sometimes throws some hard knocks at us, as it did for those two young lads families all those years ago.

You must mean kev muldoon surely box

Hit the nail on the head mate

post-5540-0-15047500-1298122579_thumb.jpg

Found this old newspaper cutting whilst rifling through my drawers today. Its a poor reproduction (taken out of The Star in 1997 ! Does anyone recognise any of these faces. - Graham Liptrot apart.

I see Davo up there.He always say`s 'Lippy couldn`t lays his boots' When Davo was 15-16ish he told Saints he would only play for the colt`s (under 18`s I think) if the Saints bus would come and pick him up outside his house on Elephant Lane!!! And that`s what they did.

Me and Davo would go rabbiting with dogs and ferrets around the town Shirdley area Lea Green ,Eccy Mere all those places..But we had tobe back at his house to meet the Saints bus.

He`s a good fishing man ( I taught him lol) and goes all over the world fishing.

when we where kids he would fight with men! One hard bastard his Davo..The bad thing being his mate we used to play fight!! No match there..Real nice bloke,he`s been like a brother for over 40years..

I went a funeral at St Lukes in Prescot this week,the Deacon of St Lukes is Tony Green,ex eddie camp teacher.Managed to grab a few words with him about some old times.Funny tho,he never used to strike me as the religeous type.

Only just looked closely at pic and date and posts.Did that Ste Davies(Davo)go to Holy Cross juniors?If he did the date is wrong.If not he had a name sake who was also a hard bas@#d and if memory serves me right came from pocket nook/fingerpost

I went a funeral at St Lukes in Prescot this week,the Deacon of St Lukes is Tony Green,ex eddie camp teacher.Managed to grab a few words with him about some old times.Funny tho,he never used to strike me as the religeous type.

Short, stocky Physics teacher? If so, I can remember being surprised one Physics lesson when he gave a religious lecture. A real one-off though - I don't remember him doing it again.

Edited by singe

I think i was at school with (cowley) i was in noggins class(mr norris.on the first day the school opened,i was one from gerrads bridge(i can still remember all my class mates)alan fox, george parr,stu jones ray hutton,(joanie mather)and have great memiores,it would be great to hear from any of them.i left early in 1965 to join the royal or merchant navy,i went to naval training school in anglesey(were i now live)and joined the merchant navy,but i will never forget mr booth sending me a nice letter and inside was 10 shillings,i had a shock when i came home to show my family my school but it had gone??? why,hope to keep in touch.

This brings back many happy memories. I went to Campion 77 - 82 and loved it. Started off in Mrs Baxter's class just after she became Mrs Baxter. Could never understand why she married Mr Baxter as he was a sour faced bully who used to demonstrate how hard he was during rugby practice with 11 - 16 year old kids. Funny, he wasn't all that hard when I reminded him of it having seen him in a pub one night - now that I am over 6 foot tall and 16.5 stone :ohyeah: He can still move quick for an old bloke though I tell you. I am still waiting to meet Mr Glover 'cos he was another one :ohyeah:

My memories were good though and they were the best years of my life. When I start reading the names of the teachers I remember how much easier life was then and you thought it was hard at the time. I used to think Mr Crowe was the AntiChrist - did anyone ever see him smile? Someone mentioned the French teacher Alan Shepherd and I'd echo that with him being a great teacher and recall him being a great bloke even then, treated you as an equal not a little squirt. Tony Redcliffe was also a top bloke as well he used to teach English Language and Lit I think. I also remember Mr Seddon, an art teacher who was a ringer for Timothy Claypole off Rentaghost. Nobody took him seriously and his sidekick was a Mr Heath who had a bigger gob than Liam Gallagher.

Real shame they knocked the place down and I still walk past the site today and can't quite believe it.

Keep the memories coming folks - great site.

Only just looked closely at pic and date and posts.Did that Ste Davies(Davo)go to Holy Cross juniors?If he did the date is wrong.If not he had a name sake who was also a hard bas@#d and if memory serves me right came from pocket nook/fingerpost

It`s the same Davo..Yes one hard BASkit..I could tell you some tales..Once saw him fight a lad the lad that had nuckle dusters on!! He didn`t care he just carried on..LOL..Saved my skin a few times!!

Was that namesake from a large family (7ish kids)? and did he have a younger brother Geoff (who was in my class)? If so, it would put him 47ish now.

Was that namesake from a large family (7ish kids)? and did he have a younger brother Geoff (who was in my class)? If so, it would put him 47ish now.

No,not the same family Kids..Dav (Ste) Dawn,John. Debora..and Jip (The Lurcher) Jip Jumped a fence in Shirdley Park and ripped his Knackers off impaled in the spikes!! Dav and I where about 16 at the time and could not afford to take him to the Vets..

We carried him about a mile as the crow flys back to Davo`s house on Elephant lane To stitch Jip`s meat and 2 veg back on..

Hi Andyelle, welcome.gif to Connect. Yes I think that's been pointed out before

and there are Photos here on Connect and this other thread about it.

http://www.sthelens-..__1#entry364351

Hope you find lots of memories on here.

Edited by Phyll

I used to live opposite the school and saw it being constructed and demolished ! I have a photo somewhere taken from the top of Pilks Head Office. Will try to dig it out and post it.

Edmund Campion (Blessed),

Funny how much you remember and how much you would like to forget (Solely for my own convenience!).

From the previous guys who mentioned the likes of Mr Kelly, Mr Campsey, Mr Green, Alan Sheperd, Mrs O'Conner, Mrs Bates et al...

I think that most of the teachers at Campion did their best to help me at that time.

Removed content from post

There is a rule for this forum which states "Please do not make disrespectful comments about local people - whether they are alive or dead. The friends or family of mentioned people may view the site and not take too kindly to such comments."

There has been an objection to some of the content in this post, so it was removed. Please always be aware of that rule.

Thanks - Dave

Mr Mocket was brilliant to me,

Yes, I got the odd whack when he would take his watch off..(I Knew!)

I did get the odd caning but it was fully justified.

Mrs O'Conner and Baxter were dolls (By the way Mrs Baxter, thanks for translating my Spanish letters!)

The class I was in had some fantastic characters (Pity we are all so old now!).

Dicko and Manners spring to mind.

all the best,

Benjy (Warthog!)

Hi Benjy, Great Post. welcome.gif to Connect. Hope you enjoy the memories.

I went to Mount Carmel and My Cousins went to Eddie Camp.

I have lots of memories, good and bad, that's part of growing up isn't it.

What year were you there?