Sign in to follow this  
dotcomdan

Holy Cross School circa 1957

Alma was still at holy cross in 1970 when she would have been 50.

I remember Alice Murphy bring the Challenge cup into St Cuthbert’s when Saint won the trophy in 1966

I remember Alice Murphy bring the Challenge cup into St Cuthbert’s when Saint won the trophy in 1966

Alex also brought it into St Albans where she tought me maths in the 70s..well she tried her best to anyway

I was at Holy Cross Junior school from 1956 to 1960 when I went to Notre Dame. I remember Mrs. Cunliffe and Mr Balmer but Miss Whittle taught me for the last two years. She was a great teacher and I always remember how she would give anyone who went back to see her after they left and showed her a good report , a reward. I think she gave me 10 shillings once which was a lot of money to me in those days. I was disappointed with the teachers at Notre Dame who did not live up to her. I also remember once when either Mr Norris or Mr Balmer made one of the boys wear a dress that one of the girls in our class had made and come into our class wearing it because of some minor misdemeanor and even then I thought this was wrong. I think the boys name was Leslie Crook but not sure.

Had already read this thread, but a bell just went off in my head on rereading it.

I remember The Lawrenson Family, they lived opposite us in Moss Bank.

Was Keith Lunt part of the Lunt Family who also lived in

Moss Bank/Clinkham Wood? They were originally from India.

Both lovely families.

Was Alma Whittle, the same one who later worked at Sacred Heart and then

later still at Our Lady of Mount Carmel? Cause she was my Cookery Teacher.

I think it's her, because I think I also remember her Brother was Dennis Whittle?

Keith Lunt now lives in Rainford his eldest son was at the same school as my second son.

Thanks for the update Tessmop.

This topic has certainly brought back old school memories,though I have lived In NZ now for 50years I still have memories of Holy Cross junior school.

I remember Alice Melon,who was in the same class as me and her mother who was a teacher there and Miss Green also a teacher.

Timeline seems a little off though,I started there in'42 or '43 and left in '52 when I joined the RN as a boy seamanHappy Days!!!

Alice Murphy taught at St Albans, Washaway Lane, she taught me maths and was a great supporter of the school rugby team which my brother was on.

Busybee

yea she taught me as well, and used to take us for swimming. i used to like jack leather the woodwork teacher, and mr. bimbson art teacher, glgeoff i also played for the school rugby team.