Addison/Tupman

donna-down-south

I'm trying to research my husband family who come from St Helens, Joseph Addison 1831 from Windle St Helens married Jane Tupman before this marriage he was also married to Janes sister Frances Clara Tupman July 4, 1833 - September 1862 can anyone point in the right direction as to where I can find anymore information on this ie: legally was he breaking the law by marrying his sister-in-law I think they lived at some point in Parr Street can anyone tell me what this street was like 1850-1860 what type of housing etc it had my FTM is playing me up so I cant get all the information I have on them at present I'm going to get my husband to look at it over the weekend, then i can add on all the information where they married job etc etc

Thanks

Donna

Donna, I remembered that, shortly after I joined the site, I took part in a thread about Parr Street. This may be of interest:

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/forums/ind..mp;#entry195671

And this, in which you will find an old map showing all the properties which once stood there (link in Eddiedunc's post):

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/forums/ind..showtopic=29165

As I mentioned in one of the threads, I saw a photograph of Parr Street taken in the sixties which was on display in the Central Library. The houses would, I assume, be the ones from the period you're interested in, and were modest terraced houses of the type which were put up all over the town to cope with its rapid industrial expansion. They had no front gardens, and the door opened right on to the street. They had become dilapidated by the time the photograph was taken; and, like so many others of their type and age in the town, had to give way to progress.

I think I have one of Joseph and Jane's children - also called Joseph Addison (1872-1962) - in my tree, marrying my relative Edith Ellen Tickle (1878-1966) in 1902. The only child of theirs I've found so far was Maggie May Addison (25/12/1903-1988), named after a sister of Edith's who died young; she never married and was buried with her parents.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Sue

I think I have one of Joseph and Jane's children - also called Joseph Addison (1872-1962) - in my tree, marrying my relative Edith Ellen Tickle (1878-1966) in 1902. The only child of theirs I've found so far was Maggie May Addison (25/12/1903-1988), named after a sister of Edith's who died young; she never married and was buried with her parents.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Sue

I had relatives in Pocket Nook St and Barber St and Barber Court about then also. Some came from Ireland, but others came from Wales to work in the mines. It looks to me that these main streets were built first and the land between was gradually filled in. In the sixties I used to visit my great aunts in Pitt St by which time Parr St was completely different. Wasnt the steep bit where it went uphill and joined Corporation St known as Smithy Brew?

In the late 70's there was more demolition, but the newer houses were untouched, for example my aunts house was in a block of 23 houses (2 up 2 downs) 21 were knocked down and the last two which were slightly newer were left standing, the rest of the street were twenties and thirties style houses

Ant

Nothing personal. I know that a lot of people don't realise that the p_quote.gif button is a quote reply button, but PLEASE don't quote the previous message.

I usually spend a bit of time trimming such posts but it gets a bit tiresome.

Use the t_reply.gif button or the t_qr.gif instead.

• 7 years later...

Archived