Sign in to follow this  
PRV

Swift's Bakerys

I have been told that Lionel Swift's bakery was in Swift Street which is possibly the name given to Central Street when his bakery was there. it is common knowledge that his bakery was where the old Reporter works where, but I think there was another bakery around the area where the back of the Running Horses used to be.

Now I have been told that there was also a Swift's bakery in Widnes, possible owned by another member of the family. I would be very interested to know where that was as well.

Were there any others around this town or elsewhere in Lancashire?

there was a shop in westfield st many years ago.

You only know it because you used to fall out of the wheatsheaf and into swifts for a slurper!!!! :lol:

Lionel Swifts was always where the Reporter Office was until its closure, they moved from Church Street to College Street when Swifts closed down. Lionel Swift used to provide trays of pies for the School Christmas Parties during WW2.

Lionel Swifts sister had the off-licence/shop in Westfield Street in the 1960's it was on the Right hand side going up Westfield Street from Lowe Street almost opposite what used to be The Modern library and the pub on the corner of Arthur Street.

Edited by Veronica
  • Like (+1) 1

As a child on the way home from the baths in Boundary Road my brother and I would call into Swifts and ask if they had any damaged cakes, they would sell us a bag of broken cakes for sixpence, the place was always dark and had cockroaches, but we didn't care at the time.

When I was a bit older we used to go in the cafe in Duke Street opposite Atherton Street, for a hot buttered Chorley cake and a glass of Coca Cola with ice cubes, I think the woman who ran it was called Mrs Gaskell but I'm not sure, does any one remember the cafe, it was only small.

Edited by dotcomdan

I remember it very well in the early sixties. It was extremely small. As you entered, there was a door into the back facing you, and a serving hatch on your right at the back of the room. The owner was Mrs Gaskell. If I'm not mistaken, it became a Chinese in the seventies, with tables in the front and a larger room with more tables through the doorway. The Chinese gentleman who ran it was always known as Dave.

That's the one, you described it perfectly. My brother who was 14 years older than I was, used to go there at nights as it was very popular. He was into Jazz (late 50's early 60's)

Talking of Chinese, how many remember the riots when all the Chinese restaurants and the laundry were wrecked after the manslaughter of Brian Peace in the one in Church Street.

I was thinking about that earlier today. I was walking up North Road, and passed the premises which used to be Yee Why's Chinese laundry. The plate glass window used to be painted green, with the name in gold, and I remember seeing it broken after the disturbances. Yee Why's grandson, known as Charlie, later opened the Red Flower chip shop (in about 1968/9), and there's now a related restaurant in the premises next door. Those incidents were probably the only racial disturbances in St. Helens, a town which has, for some reason, been of little interest to immigrants, apart from the Irish and the current wave of Poles.

• Like (+1) 1

That's the one, you described it perfectly. My brother who was 14 years older than I was, used to go there at nights as it was very popular. He was into Jazz (late 50's early 60's)

Talking of Chinese, how many remember the riots when all the Chinese restaurants and the laundry were wrecked after the manslaughter of Brian Peace in the one in Church Street.

Wasn't it called the Silver ***** ? and was up past the old Post Office and it may have been in the old Dromgooles shop. before you came to the old Cuerdley Arms Pub.

Wasn't it called the Silver ***** ? and was up past the old Post Office and it may have been in the old Dromgooles shop. before you came to the old Cuerdley Arms Pub.

I used to take my fathers white collars to the Yee Why Laundry. They were perfection when we collected them back again.

There was a sweet shop next to it if I remember correctly. Mortons bakery on the corner of Mill Street, then that always derelict looking building next to that then the Mens Tailors, then the sweetshop, a house and then the Yee Why Laundry. at the very end on the corner of Volunteer Street was the bike shop.

As a child on the way home from the baths in Boundary Road my brother and I would call into Swifts and ask if they had any damaged cakes, they would sell us a bag of broken cakes for sixpence, the place was always dark and had cockroaches, but we didn't care at the time.

When I was a bit older we used to go in the cafe in Duke Street opposite Atherton Street, for a hot buttered Chorley cake and a glass of Coca Cola with ice cubes, I think the woman who ran it was called Mrs Gaskell but I'm not sure, does any one remember the cafe, it was only small.

There was a Temperence Bar in Duke Street opposite Atherton Street.

Further up was the Lingholme Spa, which had Disney illustrations of Snow White on one of the Walls. and a Juke Box.

i am a member of the Swift family and in answer to the original post i can tell you that I've never heard of a bakehouse in Widnes

you are correct about Swift Street it was the site of the bakery with an early shop opposite on the corner of Lord St and College St

you are also correct about the bakery moving to what became the Reporter office in College St.The shop at the bottom of Westfield Steet

was both a grocer and off licence and run by my Aunt Annie and her husband.

Edited by vswift

I remember the Westfield Street shop,my Mum bought her bread from there,I always liked the smell of the soaps and washing powders mingling with the smell of the fresh bread.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember swifts bakery where the old reporter building was in college st .

when we Gerrades Bridge kids made our first communions we all ran to

the bakehouse and Mr swift gave us all a siver threepenny bit,

• Like (+1) 1

I'm Vincent Swift the Lionel who had the Bakery is my Grandad's brother His Father My Gt Grandad was also called Lionel and their first shop was on the corner of Lord and College Streets.My Great Grandad's father was at one time the farmer of Big Lea Green Farm which was excavated before becoming

a Somerfield Warehouse.The Shop in Westfield Street was run by Annie Swift and she was one of the first women licenced to drive.

I've never heard of a shop in Widnes but if anyone has any details I'd like to hear them.Other relatives had shops in Corporation St now the

newsagent at the end then a ladies clothes shop and a fish shop in Duke St near the Capitolcinema

Great to read all your memories

I have a small card, the ones they use to give out at funerals. It says in your prayers remember Lionel Swift who died 21st January 1968, age 69 years,

interred at St.Helens Cemetery on 25th January 1968, plus more prayers.

Its in perfect condition and if its the same Lionel Swift as above and any of his descendants want it, I'm happy to pass it on

• Like (+1) 1

That would be nice Newbie I've not been on this thread for a while so my apologies for this delayed reply if you'd like to contact me my email is

vincent.swift7@gmail.com

• Like (+1) 1