Sign in to follow this  
Griffin

Irish genealogy

From time to time, people ask about how to look into their Irish family history. There are difficulties with this, arising from the destruction of a lot of civil records during the 1920s. So far, any genealogical research I have done has been into the English side of my family - the Robinsons - and the Griffin side from Ireland has been put, as the Irish say, on the long finger. Last week, however, there was a professional genealogist on RTE's Mooney Show, and I emailed the programme to ask for advice on tracing my Griffin line in the Leonard's Corner area of Dublin. They were unable to deal with it on air, but I was pleasantly surprised to receive this email this morning, and I am reproducing it in case it contains any useful information for anyone else:

Dear Mr Griffin,

Sorry that I did not have time to deal with your family history query on air, last week.

However, I have now assessed your information, and note that you should be able to make good progress with your Irish family history research in due course.

First of all, let me tell you the good news that the 1911 and 1901 census returns for all Ireland are currently being digitised, and will be available free –of-charge on the world wide web within the next 2 –3 years. Better still, the digitisation of the 1911 census returns for Dublin city and county have been prioritised, and will be released on the www in late Autumn of this year. Therefore, you should be able to locate the Griffin family within that particular source.

The 1911 census returns for Ireland provide very good information and include three questions for married women, namely –

how long has the present marriage lasted ?

how many children were born alive ?

how many children are still living ?

Whether or not, you await the arrival of the Dublin 1911 census returns on the web, you may decide to take a trip to Dublin to pursue your family history. Most Irish family history can be carried out in Dublin based repositories, so you should be able to make considerable progress with your research, by using genealogical sources held at the General Register Office, the National Library of Ireland and the National Archives of Ireland.

The 1901 and 1911 census returns are held at the National Archives in Dublin . Therefore, information contained within the Griffin return will enable you to seek out the civil record of marriage of your Griffin grand-parents from the General Register Office in Dublin . Irish civil records of marriage for the period –are similar to English ones, insofar as they merely provide the names of the fathers of brides and grooms – and their respective occupations. However, RC Parish registers for that period usually provide the names of mothers – in addition to fathers – and their respective addresses which are sometimes different from addresses of the bride and groom.

If the Griffin family lived in the district of Leonard’s Corner for some time prior to 1906 – you should be able to locate relevant entries of baptism and marriage for family members within the registers of Harrington Street and/or adjoining parishes.

Harrington Street parish registers - up to c. 1900 - are held on micro-film at the National Library of Ireland in Dublin – and date from the 1860s. Earlier records of baptism and marriage for families who lived in the Leonard’s Corner area may be encompassed within the registers of baptism and marriage of St. Nicholas of Myra ( Francis St ) and/or St.Catherine’s – Meath Street . These latter registers of baptism and marriage – up to circa 1880 - are also held at the National Library of Ireland.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you every success in your family history quest – and hope that you will take some time out to ‘walk in the footsteps’ of your Griffin ancestors – in this very historical area of Dublin city.

All good wishes

Helen Kelly

• Like (+1) 1

You must be signed in to read this content.

• Like (+1) 3