Sign in to follow this  
Stiffknee

St Nicholas Sutton Churchyard and Records

Does anybody know how or where I can find a list of the burials at St Nicholas Church in Sutton? Do I have to ring the Vicar?

I've been to the library and the records seem to be the same ones that are already available on this site, but I'm hoping to find relatives that were buried in the 1900's. I went to the church on monday with notebook and pen to record my findings and came away really disappointed. You need to take a scythe to cut your way through some of there. It's appalling. I abruptly disappeared a few feet into one grave. You don't know what you're standing on. The sad thing is amongst the rubble and the shoulder high grass are our ancestors. My grandad told me that his grandad is buried in there, and I wonder how he would feel if he ever came back to St Helens and saw the state of the old churchyard and attempted to visit his grave?

I'm sure that all my Grace family are in there somewhere, and I would like to find them.

It's just seems so difficult to find where people are buried full stop. Especially if it's in a churchyard. The cemetery site is brilliant for locating graves and family groups. Why are churches so inaccessible? Both the records and the churchyards it seems.

Any suggestions?

So the place is still a mess after all these years? I was there back in 2001 and I fell into graves left and right looking for my Naylors who were buried there. Some of the holes were so deep its a wonder I didn't break a leg.. stones fallen over weeds a mile high

Forget the office.. the sec is a mad woman about people asking about dead ancestors .. you just don't ask her..she kinda goes hermintile .. cousin took his wife there a few yrs back to visit her grandmothers grave and they asked at the office and the first words out of her mouth were ITS not for Genealogy is it? .. they had a devil of a time getting her to tell them where Alisons grandmother was buried ..

I told myself that the next time I was there if I ever get back to England I was going to go buy a bunch of flowers and go to the office and ask where John Naylor was located as I was keeping a promise I made to put flowers on his grave from his wife Alice who was in Pennsylvania USA.

When I would be asked as to when he died I would say Sept 1874. I just want to see her face when that one hits her.. Johns parents James and Ellen and his sister are also buried there somewhere in the weeds and holes..

Sad isn't it?

SLC

Edited by slc3333

So it's not worth asking at the church then?

This is the trouble. Unless someone in the know has taken the trouble to transcribe the records and drop a copy in the library then there's little chance. These records should be public knowledge. Maybe if the church was more welcoming to genealogists and opened the doors to anyone with an interest in that church, for whatever reason, they might find a new community of church friends. It doesn't have to be this way I'm sure. Ignorance and apathy will cause the place to crumble into neglect.

St Peters in Parr have had their records copied and accessible to all in the library. The churchyard was tidy and a good example of what can be achieved. Headstones can survive for centuries if looked after. How disappointing to not find ones fifity years old. Aren't they meant to be a lasting memorial?

There are two families wanting to be remembered and honoured already. Grace and Naylor. Anyone else want to add to that?

Steph

St Nick's burials 1850-1880 in the downloads section. I made an appointment to look at the burials register, she allowed me a grudging 15mins, wouldn't let them out of her sight and charged £20

You can add Mort to that list as well Martha Jane b. 1898 d. 1958 I don't think I will ever find her though, my mum seems to think she was buried in the wrong family grave, also possibly her husband will be in St.Nicks Richard b. 1884 d. 1935.

£20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've got to be kidding??

I'm lost for words!

I'd just like to find the grave of Richard Grace died 1958. His wife Winifred I hope to find buried with him, I don't know when she died. Also his father Richard Grace. Found Richard's wife Alice in the grass, that wasn't too difficult. There are a few. It would take longer than 15 minutes!

Edited by Stiffknee

£20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've got to be kidding??

I'm lost for words!

I'd just like to find the grave of Richard Grace died 1958. His wife Winifred I hope to find buried with him, I don't know when she died. Also his father Richard Grace. Found Richard's wife Alice in the grass, that wasn't too difficult. There are a few. It would take longer than 15 minutes!

Don't be put off, one of the ladies in the office is a bit of a dragon. I called in at the office a few months ago and was treated well by the lady who could not do enough for me.

So, if you go and the dragon is on duty, simply go back on another day.

i tamed the dragon a few weeks ago it didn't take much just stand up to it.

got some info from rainford a couple of weeks ago all free and a lovely message to go with it

some one else told me about being charged twenty pounds thats scandalous.

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied to this. It would be well worth having all the remaining records transcibed for this particular church it seems, it was the Parish Church after all. Would help preserve this frequently visited book of goodies from being handled so much I suppose, and maybe that's why she's grumpy? I have also got two baptisms I really have to find for 1907 & 9 and have reason to believe that they might have been recorded there too. Typical. Only one thing for it then..have to go and face it.

Is it preferable to make an appointment or can you just show up and meekly go and tap on the door?

make an appointment, let her feel she is in control

been up to st.nics todayand guess what, the grass is still not cut.

we tried our best to cut it with shears but couldnt manage it,so i went to see the dragon in charge but the office

was closed so its another trip on monday.

this is after being promised that it would be cut last time i went.

I've still not had chance to get there but do intend to go soon.

Bruntyed if you are going up there do you think that you could ask what the opening times are and a contact number? Ideally the day that the 'nice lady' is on patrol?

At this stage all I want to know is if my great grandad Richard Grace who died in 1958 is buried in there. I don't relish stumbling around in the undergrowth if it can be avoided. I'm not sure what the situation is regarding the records, if it's just dates or there is a index of the where abouts in that jungle people are placed? I will take a few tools and do a spot of gardening if required.

it isnt tools you need its a wimpey excavator,i may go on tuesday if time permits so i will let you know.it isnt tools you need its a wimpey excavator,i may go on tuesday if time permits so i will let you know.

Don't worry, I usually need to be told twice before anything sinks in. Talking of sinking in..I would take some pot-holing gear just in case you fall in and no-one can find you through the savanna.

I would very much appreciate that Brunty. Thank you.

There are hand written records in the archives at St. Helens library. You will have to give the ladies time to get them out for you. The records are pretty well up to date and are in a number of books. Let the ladies know approx. the dates you are looking for.

halj

Thanks Halj,

I went to the library and asked for the microfiche of St Nics, and realised that they didn't cover any more than was available to search on this site. I asked if that was all of them, that they weren't 'late enough', she said that's it, and wasn't offered an alternative to search through. So thank you very much for that. I will ring them next week and ask what they have got hiding away in there. I could have had the answer weeks ago if that is the case! Thanks again.

Edited by Stiffknee

Thanks Halj,

I went to the library and asked for the microfiche of St Nics, and realised that they didn't cover any more than was available to search on this site. I asked if that was all of them, that they weren't 'late enough', she said that's it, and wasn't offered an alternative to search through. So thank you very much for that. I will ring them next week and ask what they have got hiding away in there. I could have had the answer weeks ago if that is the case! Thanks again.

There is a blue clip file in the library which lists their resources. One part covers church records, each church has it's own section and a list of records held. Some are Lancashire Parish Register Society books, some are fiche or film, and some are hand written or typed records, with their library numbers. you fill in a little slip and they pull their face, and ask if you need it today because they're busy, but they will get them for you. It's best if you can order them a couple of days before

Thanks Halj,

I Usually go on a Tuesday morning before 10 o'clock and get good attention. In fact I could be invited to the Christmas party if I play my cards right.

as promised , to who i cant remember but for those interested i have the phone number for st. nics sutton.i was told also that most of the grass has been cut as well so anyone knows where their deceased are buriedthey could ask if the grass has been cut around that area . phone no. 01744 851570 good luck.forgot to tell you the dragons name is doreen.

You can add Mort to that list as well Martha Jane b. 1898 d. 1958 I don't think I will ever find her though, my mum seems to think she was buried in the wrong family grave, also possibly her husband will be in St.Nicks Richard b. 1884 d. 1935.

You are not the only person this has happened to- Please email me on She_mughal@yahoo.co.uk