Sign in to follow this  
glenda

Cowley School For Girls

I went to Cowley School from '72 to '76. Just wondering if anyone out there went to the school during that time?

Hi

I was there from 1973 to 1979. I spent the first two secondary years at Rivington doing very little and loved my time at Cowley. I think all girls' schools are great, I wish I had the choice for my kids!

I went to Cowley School from '72 to '76. Just wondering if anyone out there went to the school during that time?

Try Friends Reunited There'll probably be loads of folk on there

Try Friends Reunited There'll probably be loads of folk on there

that's a great idea from Graham - that's what I did!

Years ago I started a site called 'St Helens Connected' (sounds familiar) and the idea was to make it for schools along the lines of FR (only for free), but it flopped because people preferred paying. :)

Hi

I was there from 1973 to 1979. I spent the first two secondary years at Rivington doing very little and loved my time at Cowley. I think all girls' schools are great, I wish I had the choice for my kids!

When the 11+ was done away with, like yourself I had to spend my first two years in secondary education in a mixed gender school and I must say they were the most miserable two years of my life. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Cowley, I firmly believe in single gender education and I have some very fond memories. Teachers that particularly come to mind are the German teacher Mr. Bent and his enormous sideburns and the delicious smell of Brut!, and Miss Bannister who taught English. I had lived away from St. Helens until last year and it was sad to see that North Block had been demolished and that South Block had been converted to apartments. And this is progress?!

Hear! Hear!

I have an awful memory but Miss Jones in her bat cape and Quick Draw Magraw come to mind. He always had sweat marks under his armpits! ugh!

I remeber mrs King english teacher, mrs strettle english I think we used to talk a lot she always used to say now 3a be quiet! Mrs smith

physics had two white patches on her boobs when they rubbed against the blackboard she didn't seem to know why we were all laughing. MISS JACKSON was head teacher Miss wood deputy order marks! I was there from 67 to 72 good time looking back. Remember having pow wows on the school field. Remember singing city of god to quick draw mcgraw to get in school choir. Mrs Holden latin, lovely little Miss Burrows maths she used to throw board dusters at wasps in the classroom. Having form rooms and desks to keep your things in nothing was stolen would it be the same now. My name Michelle Vernon then still in touch with Christine Gerrard, Pam Foster. Where is Susan Dutton, Carol Cook, Jean Reece, Alison Gray. Did anyone else go on the ss uganda to the azores, madeira, teneriffe, casablanca?

I was there 62 to 67

Miss Jackson was Head and Miss Wood was Dep Head.

Majority were great teachers. I wasn't a great pupil - wish I'd worked a bit harder/stayed on for 'A' levels - but never got any Order Marks in my time there.

I was there 57 to 61. Miss Jackson and Miss Wood were head and deputy then as well. Yes, it was a good school and a good education - and no caning, unlike some of the the primary schools.

There's one on there that brings back particular memories for me - labelled 'Bottom Corridor' - commonly known by pupils as 'The Dungeon'. It was in the dark brown building that no longer exists.

Along that corridor were the Gym and the Domestic Science Room on the right hand side and two classrooms on the left hand side. I was in the first one on the left during the 4th Year (4 Alpha 1965/66). The windows of those two classrooms were below ground-level and you had to have the light on all day long - even in the summer! In this picture, the windows in question are actually behind the row of shrubs on the right hand side with a drop of around 6ft to the window ledges - no staring out of the window and day-dreaming cos all you could see was the retaining wall of the garden!!!

Due to the building being built on the side of a hill, the Dom Sc Room and Gym both hard 'regular windows'.

Edited by Olliebeak

Great links, Phyll. That certainly brought back a few memories. Yes, Ollie, I well remember the dark and dreary bottom corridor. Funny to see how the uniform had changed over the years, especially the mini skirts in the sixties and the trousers in the seventies and those awful green gingham dresses we had to wear in the fifties. Regulation length was below the knee, or at least touching the ground when you knelt down. Happy days, although I don't think we realised it at the time.

When I started there in 62, a few of the older girls were still in their 'Summer Uniform' of the green check/gingham dresses with the white collar and turn-backs on the short sleeves.

During that first half-time, there was a competition to redesign the summer dress. The winning style was a short-sleeved shirtwaister dress with box-pleated skirt and self-fabric buttoned belt. The fabric had an all-over pattern and we were allowed to have tthem in a choice of blue or green. They were quite expensive and could only be bought in either Tyrers or a shop in Wigan. I had my first one bought in Tyrers and the second one made by a dressmaker neighbour because she managed to find somewhere that stocked the fabric.

I'd had one handed-down from a cousin who left the year that I started, but refused to ever wear it as it was the 'old-style' :(.

You may have known her, eileen - her name was Kathleen Tucker (or Walker) and she came from the Knowsley Road area.

No, sorry I don't think I know your cousin, Ollie. I was there from 1956 and left in 1961. I wish now I'd stayed on and done A levels but in those days all I wanted to do was start working and earn money. At least in those days there was no difficulty getting a job when you left school.

I was at Cowley from 62 to 67 and remember those classrooms opposite the gym, think I was in there in the 4th year, our last form room was right next door to Miss Jackson's office, Miss Fuller was our form mistress. The best form room we had was I think either the 2nd or 3rd year when we were in the annexe and meant we could get inside before the bell went, great in winter.

Hello Lindalou - I've a feeling that I possibly know who you are biggrin.png. I was one of quite a few of my year who went to work at Cowley Hill Works after leaving.

I was also there from 62 to 67 - Form 1H (Mrs Hazell's Class) in first year and we had the classroom in the corner of South Block Hall - next to the dais that was used for Assembly. When it came to the 2nd year, were you by any chance in the 'Peripatetic Room' - below the stairs in South Block? I think we had the one above yours - on the Balcony.

My 4th Year Classroom must have been next to yours as we were also 'in the dungeons' that year - final classroom for us was up 'in the wing' on the top floor - a heck of a sprint if you were late in the morning!

From what I can remember about the two classrooms in The Annexe, one was used as a 'History Room' and the other as the 'Lower School Library'.

When Cowley Girls was being closed down - in the 90's - I went along to the final Open Day that was held there and, of course, got all whingey/whiney/maudling about 'the old days' of the school .

Have you ever seen the set of pics of the school that are floating around 'somewhere on the internet' - can't remember exactly where I spotted them, but will try to find them again ..

doh.gif - stupid ME - of course, they were in Phyll's link on this thread - if I had half a brain, I'd be dangerous! http://www.sthelenshistory.co.uk/Postcards.php?currDir=./Cowley_School

Edited by Olliebeak
  • Like (+1) 1

the school had a couple of bad fires before it closed and when it did close we had a number of fires and were glad when they finally demolished it

My mum God rest her was always proud of the fact that she passed the 11 plus circa 1925 but coming from a very poor family she was told by my grandma that she couldn't go because they couldn't afford the uniform.Luckily her Uncle Jack who was a cripple and unable to work but repaired boots & shoes at home and made a few bob,came up with the cash. Years later when I was at Grange Park School my History teacher was Mrs.Moss who was a classmate of my mums at Cowley,on school sports day she always insisted that mum sat with her to watch the events(and me run).She was a lovely lady who I visited regularly when she lived in Eccleston Park,she recently moved up to Edinburgh at the ripe old age of 99 ! Got a Xmas card from her yesterday,her handwriting is 'copperplate,

Hi Olliebeak, you're right we must know each other. I was in 1H and in the form who used the lockers in the second year, think our form room was the biology lab with Miss Charlesworth as form mistress. I went to Cowley Hill and worked as messenger in the Drawing Office.

I've sent you a pm, Lindalou.

I became the messenger for the Electric Engineers Office (on the hill behind Albert Street Lodge) and regularly went into the Drawing Office - we had our own Team of Draughtsmen in our office and I often had to carry stuff backwards/forwards to yours.

• Like (+1) 1

My cousin Marion Ratcliffe came from Oxford St and attended Cowley Girls i would have being about 8 yrs old when she took me to there sports day and showed me around areas of the school so that would have being about 1953/4 her married name was Marion Ashbey and she was later to be the conservative council member for Rainford Parish Council wonder if anyone on here can remember her

Jimmy,Marion lives just around the corner from me,she now gets around on her mobility scooter gave her a wave on Monday.

Isn't it strange how the Cowley Boys thread has so many stories about their sadistic teachers? I was at Cowley Girls from 1958 to 1965 and even though I must have sorely tried their patience, obnoxious stroppy little madam that I was, I remember nothing but kindness and understanding and never even a raised voice.

I think I exasperated some of the teachers at Cowley when I was there, Suzecog :rolleyes:. They were forever telling me that I had the capability but not the 'inclination to put it to good use' - oh, how I wish that I'd listened to them :bigwink:!

But I don't remember any unkindness at all . one very unpleasant incident about a girl scrawling 'Miss G**** is a B****' on the Sports Pavilion Floor in huge letters using white chalk (around 1963/4). None of us could understand why she should pick on that particular teacher, as she was one of the most popular ones. I'm pretty certain that there were some others that we may have agreed would have deserved it :yes:.