Sign in to follow this  
Greg

Tommy Ball's?

Hello Everyone,

I've been on St Helens Connect several times. My Mother is a War Bride from St Helens. When I was 5 years old I spent a month in St. Helens and remember going to a toy/hobby store called Tommy Ball's. My parents bought me quite a few Corgi and Dinky toys from there. Does anybody remember the shop and where it was? I understand it's no longer there. I've been back to St. Helens since then however, hadn't thought about that shop in years. I wish I still had those toys from the early 70's. I understand some of them are collectible now. Thanks for any info. you may have. Have a Happy Holiday and a Joyous and Safe New Year.

Greg

I remember Tommy Ball's well. It sold toys and kids' bicycles. Just off Lugsmore Lane at the bottom of Leslie Road. At the end of the 1970s, it changed hands and became a serious lightweight bicycle shop for enthusiasts. About then, I moved nearby (Thompson Street) and did a lot of business with the new owner (can't just recollect his name) when I rebuilt a couple of bicycles. Last time I was past, it was still in the same business, and he is well into mountain bikes now. I think he had the first mountain bike in town. I recall he showed it to me, and I didn't think they would ever take off. Boy, was I wrong! I still have the old Dawes Galaxy lightweight which is due for another rebuild (actually partly completed) and I should be out on it next year, all being well. I will probably go to Leslie Road to buy some components. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Kind regards to your mom (mine worked at the BICC too) and have a great Christmas and a happy New Year.

I remember Tommy Ball's well. It sold toys and kids' bicycles. Just off Lugsmore Lane at the bottom of Leslie Road. At the end of the 1970s, it changed hands and became a serious lightweight bicycle shop for enthusiasts. About then, I moved nearby (Thompson Street) and did a lot of business with the new owner (can't just recollect his name) when I rebuilt a couple of bicycles. Last time I was past, it was still in the same business, and he is well into mountain bikes now. I think he had the first mountain bike in town. I recall he showed it to me, and I didn't think they would ever take off. Boy, was I wrong! I still have the old Dawes Galaxy lightweight which is due for another rebuild (actually partly completed) and I should be out on it next year, all being well. I will probably go to Leslie Road to buy some components. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Kind regards to your mom (mine worked at the BICC too) and have a great Christmas and a happy New Year.

across the road in lugsmore lane was cester swifts painter and decorators my late uncle woked there in the same row was hines,s drapers on the other end was shorts shoe shop all gone now.

bruntyed, is he the same bloke who lived in the big house next to Nutgrove Steps? I think it was called The Mount. I've never seen the forename written down before so I don't the spelling but we always pronounced it as Kester.

Edited by Voll

bruntyed, is he the same bloke who lived in the big house next to Nutgrove Steps? I think it was called The Mount. I've never seen the forename written down before so I don't the spelling but we always pronounced it as Kester.

thats the man voll what a nice chap he was if my grandfather needed any cement,sand,any bricks he would send it round on a handcart within minutes ithink he lived well into his 80s and his name was spelt with a c.

I remember Tommy Balls, it was next to the Co-oP, Tommy himself had a bald head similar to Friar Tuck.

vanwall, as a young lad i lived near tommy balls and in the entry between him and the co op the mobile co op butcher would tie his horse up on the railings while had his dinner at home and when it had a slash you could not get past for fear of getting soaked hence the phrase stores horse. :P:P:P

I don't remember the shop but it was my grandfathers shop - just trying to research my families history :) 

Yes I remember Tommy Ball,s shop .He was a tall pretty slim man,quietly spoken ,and usually smoking a pipe ,balding and with a trimmed moustache.His shop was  a beacon of delight to us youngsters in the 50,s .If you lived in Toll Bar ,Thatto Heath ,or Nutgrove this was the place to look at bikes ,prams,toys,mopeds,air rifles and pistols ,and possibly more stuff that escaped our attention.It was always a fine distraction to spend half an hour gazing at the goods in the windows whether the shop was open or not,no such thing as metal shutters in those days .Onward from late November you would see kids rolling out with bikes as "early Christmas presents".Not sure about this but I was told he lived in St Georges Rd.West Park. Yes he made a lot of us kids happy did Tommy Ball.

I remember it well I used to peer in the window in the 50's at the bikes and toys on display, and wish..

A school  friend lived in Southey  Rd. through the entry at the side and we would meet up outside TBs. The shop itself was well known across town for bikes and toys, it's reputation was far reaching. My brothers used to talk about the bikes on display every Christmas and wish and beg for a bike for Christmas - they're still waiting :) 

On 23/12/2006 at 17:35, Griffin said:

I remember pressing my nose against the shop window in Tommy Balls  gazing and dreaming over the first iconic raleigh choppers !

added 2 minutes later
On 30/12/2017 at 22:48, knockaloe said:

Yes I remember Tommy Ball,s shop .He was a tall pretty slim man,quietly spoken ,and usually smoking a pipe ,balding and with a trimmed moustache.His shop was  a beacon of delight to us youngsters in the 50,s .If you lived in Toll Bar ,Thatto Heath ,or Nutgrove this was the place to look at bikes ,prams,toys,mopeds,air rifles and pistols ,and possibly more stuff that escaped our attention.It was always a fine distraction to spend half an hour gazing at the goods in the windows whether the shop was open or not,no such thing as metal shutters in those days .Onward from late November you would see kids rolling out with bikes as "early Christmas presents".Not sure about this but I was told he lived in St Georges Rd.West Park. Yes he made a lot of us kids happy did Tommy Ball.

he was a small chubby man was mr ball.. and yes gave all of us kids a dream..

added 15 minutes later

Tommy Balls.. " coloured matches, rip-raps, boxes of bangers, and standard fireworks for your your bommy night,, choppers, grifters and junior racers for your christmas presents, as well as  model gliders, chad valley toys ,masks and robots for the birthday treats , (if you were lucky) ..",, the doorway of Tommy balls was also a local meeting place or just to eat your chips and gravy  or large split open..from Brackens ( with scraps ) chippy ..

• Like (+1) 1