Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Strange St Helens words

I thought it meant soft, so could be used in relation to feeling the cold but could be applied to other situations also. Such as when frightened.

I agree with Hort..and I still use it. :)

i am not sure voll, it could come from watering?and the ets on the front.or you taking on water,et drinking,et watering.etswattering? but colloqial lingo is sometimes impossible, to break down to correct english,..i hope we never lose it!!

I well remember "water" being pronounced as "watter", but the "ets" reminds me very much of an expression common in my childhood: "Estou" which could be a corruption of "hast thou", as in "As tou geet a penni fut gas?" - very much in use in the hard post-war times in Broad Oak Rd.

Ah slutch a mixture of good old mud and water,great stuff when you're young!

Yes, but we used to distinguish between slutch and slush, the latter referring to that messy mix of slutch and melting snow.

with the continuing migration of people will we ever again be able to say this is a ST.HELENS word?When words appear in our local speech.In fact many of our words are derived from innumerable interactions of communities both here and abroad.

hope you make it home th,my lady lives in boden st lowten,had lovely sunday lunch in sheperds today.

Came across another strange St Helens word today. Skelping meaning going dangerously fast. "I was skelping down the M6"

• Like (+1) 1

On 31/12/2006 at 3:46 PM, Alan said:

Do you remember your mam saying "Ah corn't gerrout of me own road"?

FREQUENTLY ALAN..ANOTHER ONE I REMEMBER.

I AM THAT BUSY I AM MEETING MYSELF COMING BACK'☺

added 2 minutes later
On 24/04/2017 at 6:40 PM, Alan said:

Came across another strange St Helens word today. Skelping meaning going dangerously fast. "I was skelping down the M6"

I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT MEANT TO SMACK..'I'LL SKELP YOUR BACKFLIP FIR YOU IF YOU DON'T BEHAVE'

added 5 minutes later
On 23/03/2017 at 10:41 AM, non sibi sed omnibus said:

with the continuing migration of people will we ever again be able to say this is a ST.HELENS word?When words appear in our local speech.In fact many of our words are derived from innumerable interactions of communities both here and abroad.

THANKS IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SPLIT IS A ST HELENS WORD.  I HAVE HEARD IT CALLED A MIXTURE. DOWN SOUTH THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD IF A SPLIT AND FISH. I WONDER HOW FAR SPLIT HAS TRAVELLED. 

added 8 minutes later
On 23/03/2017 at 10:02 AM, Thomas Heavey said:

I well remember "water" being pronounced as "watter", but the "ets" reminds me very much of an expression common in my childhood: "Estou" which could be a corruption of "hast thou", as in "As tou geet a penni fut gas?" - very much in use in the hard post-war times in Broad Oak Rd.

Yes, but we used to distinguish between slutch and slush, the latter referring to that messy mix of slutch and melting snow.

LOL WHAT ABOUT PLAYING WITH SLOPPY DUTCH. SOUTH.  AND WALKING THROUGH THE SLUSH TO SCHOOL.

added 12 minutes later
On 14/09/2015 at 11:41 AM, HORT said:

I thought it meant soft, so could be used in relation to feeling the cold but could be applied to other situations also. Such as when frightened.

I  REMEMBER THE WORD NASH VERY WELL.  IT WAS USUALLY APPLIED WHEN  CRYING OR NOT WANTING TO TRY SOME THINGS FOR THE FIRST TIME. I.E. DIVING OFF A HIGH BOARD INTO A COLD POOL LOL

• Like (+1) 1

I've only skimmed through reading this lightly, but have a question to ask.

My Dad (from Prescot/ later St Helens) used a couple of words that I have never heard used anywhere else. "Snap" which went in his "Snap Tin" and also the word "delving" which was done with a Delving Spade in the garden. Would these be considered words from the area?

ive mentioned some time ago.There was a short series on i believe if memory ok,on channel 4.It went into how the ENGLISH Language evolved.Even today people still refer to THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!?even our GCs in the USA are asking in a child way,WHAT DOES GRANDMA/GRANDPA  MEAN.The program refered to that even though these islands were invaded over the centuries we took into our lives these people,married bore children and absorbed many of their words subtly!Absorbsion/integration-not classed as immigration?When ALIENS  land who knows what words we'll taken on board?